PDA

View Full Version : Lady Lindy!

Candy
2004-Dec-18, 10:07 PM
Marine Explorer Hunts for Earhart's Plane (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=041218&cat=frontpage&st=frontpageap2 0041218_755&src=abc)

At 17,000 feet beneath the surface, the temperature of ocean water is just above freezing, oxygen is sparse and currents are relatively calm. In other words, ideal conditions for preserving an airplane that might have crashed into the depths nearly 70 years ago, according to marine explorer David Jourdan, who hopes to answer one of aviation's greatest mysteries the fate of famed pilot Amelia Earhart.

A fearless flyer, Earhart set a string of altitude, distance and endurance records in the 1920s and 1930s, proving the still-young world of flying wasn't reserved for men. She captivated a Depression-era America eager for heroes, was feted by presidents and was compared to Charles Lindbergh. The press dubbed her "Lady Lindy."
She was so cool! 8)

Hutch
2004-Dec-19, 02:39 AM
I hope they can solve the--well, I hate to use the word mystery, but I guess it'll have to do. There was a school of thought that she had been taken prisoner by the Japanese after landing on a Japanese-held Island, but I think this has died away.

And of course (to keep it in BA) there are the woos who think she was abducted by Aliens....

beck0311
2004-Dec-19, 04:43 AM
There was a school of thought that she had been taken prisoner by the Japanese after landing on a Japanese-held Island, but I think this has died away.

I do not think that that theory has died away at all. It would not have been uncharacteristic for her to have been executed as a spy at that time. The fact that no remnants of her plane have been found tends to fuel speculation. There is very little real data to go by.

And of course (to keep it in BA) there are the woos who think she was abducted by Aliens....

There was a very bad episode of the very bad tv show Voyager that dealt with this theory. They found Earhart along with a bunch of other people from the 1930s in some sort of suspended animation on the other side of the galaxy. It was awful, they found an old pick-up truck in space and were able to start it after a few minutes of tinkering with it. :roll:

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-21, 05:54 PM
RESURRECTED THREAD.

Here we go again...
Investigators say they've found key clue to fate of Amelia Earhart (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20/reports-new-search-planned-for-amelia-earhart/?hpt=hp_bn2)
According to a new analysis of an old photograph, they think they have existence of the plane.

In a blind review, they determined the component in the picture is the landing gear of a Lockheed Electra.
I have no clue how they could have determined that it's a landing gear, let alone that of an Electra especially in a blind reveiw.

This sounds like a publicity lead up since it appears the search is funded by the Discovery Channel.

Gillianren
2012-Mar-21, 06:53 PM
Frankly, after all this time, I'd be surprised if there were anything left to find. And that assumes we'd ever look in the right place, which I don't think is a safe assumption given the sheer distances we're talking.

Space Chimp
2012-Mar-21, 07:15 PM
I hope this isn't the same group that thought they found a UFO on the floor of the Baltic Sea last year. :p

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-22, 04:39 PM
I hope this isn't the same group that thought they found a UFO on the floor of the Baltic Sea last year. :p
I don't think so: "The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR)"

Nor is it Giraldo Rivera.

Trebuchet
2012-Mar-23, 12:01 AM
The blown-up portion of the picture looks more like an emulsion defect in the film than a landing gear to me.

ToSeek
2012-Mar-23, 04:11 PM
I don't think so: "The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR)"

TIGHAR is a very well-established group - I've run across them in other (but similar, of course) contexts. My impression is that they're pretty well respected, and deservedly so.

Argos
2012-Mar-23, 05:22 PM
Candy, you were so fine...

Nicolas
2012-Mar-24, 06:14 PM
Oh hi Iggy Pop.

jokergirl
2012-Mar-26, 10:13 AM
What's with the thread necromancy?

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-26, 11:49 AM
What's with the thread necromancy?
That was specifically addressed in the first new post.

New data.

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-26, 07:19 PM
What's with the thread necromancy?That was specifically addressed in the first new post.
There; I made it stand out more... Is that better? ;)

jokergirl
2012-Mar-27, 01:47 PM
Thanks.

Hm. No amount of CSI "Enhance" could convince me they can figure anything from that grainy picture that they didn't WANT to find there.

;)

JustAFriend
2012-Mar-27, 10:31 PM
If you ever get a chance to go to D.C., get out to the Udvar-Hazy branch of the Smithsonian out at Dulles Airport.
They have a case there with a bunch of Amelia's jumpers and personal effects (of course nothing she had with
her on the last trip...) It's a nice tribute to her.

NEOWatcher
2012-Jul-13, 08:02 PM
It looks like TIGHAR is starting to find some circumstantial evidence.

Has aviator Amelia Earhart's beauty case been found? (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48178295/ns/technology_and_science-science/)

In addition to freckle-cream jar, experts unearth fragments of other cosmetic products

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-13, 10:39 PM
Interesting...

NEOWatcher
2012-Aug-20, 03:55 PM
Did anybody see the show about the expedition on Discovery? (apparently it was yesterday)

By a strange coincidence (:rolleyes:) CNN released a new story on the day the show was to air.
75 years later, the mystery of Amelia Earhart solved? (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/19/75-years-later-the-mystery-of-amelia-earhart-solved/?hpt=hp_c2)

Initially TIGHAR saw nothing. Now, the day of the show analysis of the video now reveals parts of the plane.

From following the arrows in CNN's picture, I see: a rock, seabed, seabed, and something outside the picture.

From Disovery's picture (http://news.discovery.com/history/zooms/amelia-earhart-plane-located-120817.html)
I see something circular among the things I saw before.

Ok; I'm being a little sardonic. But; you have to admit the timing is convenient.