PDA

View Full Version : Planck satellite and Copernican principle

Infra Galaxia
2014-Apr-10, 01:03 AM
I realize this is a really bad first post :o.
A certain geocentric film trailer (that shall go nameless) has been circling around as of late. Although most of it is easily dismissible, one thing that is claimed has got my attention. They claim the WMAP and now the Planck data shows that our solar system is somehow aligned with the universe. I did some searching and didn't find much, some people street teaming this idea on reddit but no one respectable really commenting either way. I'm very skeptical of this idea for obvious reasons but I don't know, I've followed this forum for a while and I'm curious what your thoughts on this are?

antoniseb
2014-Apr-10, 10:44 AM
...They claim the WMAP and now the Planck data shows that our solar system is somehow aligned with the universe. ...

WMAP and Planck both seem to show that if you look at the directions of the dipole (l=2) and quadrapole (l=4) parts of the CMB, that they are aligned within a few degrees of the plane of the solar system. If you look up "CMB Axis of Evil" you can probably find more, both serious and otherwise. My own suspicion about this is that these measures are difficult to separate from dust, and maybe Jupiter and Saturn's microwave output. It would be nice to know the cause, but this is actually pretty far removed from the type of data those probes were meant to reveal (l>50) so I don't worry much about this.

Infra Galaxia
2014-Apr-10, 08:15 PM
So it's off by a few degrees? That makes this even funnier! :p Even if it was bang-on it probably has happened millions of times in just our own galaxy. This is the cosmic equivalent of winning 100 bucks on a scratch ticket. I'm sure if there is life on any of the 400 quadrillion other solar systems that are lined up perfectly, they must feel REALLY special. This is why critical thinking and science need to go hand in hand

wd40
2014-Apr-15, 11:29 PM
"But when you look at CMB map, you also see that the structure that is observed, is in fact, in a weird way, correlated with the plane of the earth around the sun. Is this Copernicus coming back to haunt us? That's crazy. We're looking out at the whole universe. There's no way there should be a correlation of structure with our motion of the earth around the sun - the plane of the earth around the sun - the ecliptic. That would say we are truly the center of the universe. The new results are either telling us that all of science is wrong and we're the center of the universe, or maybe the data is simply incorrect, or maybe it's telling us there's something weird about the microwave background results and that maybe, maybe there's something wrong with our theories on the larger scales." (Lawrence Krauss 2006)

Trebuchet
2014-Apr-15, 11:47 PM
Krauss is not at all happy with having been used in this film, and says this about it:

It is tempting to say that both claims are obscene nonsense, but I believe that does a disservice to the word nonsense.
(The other claim being holocaust denial.)

Source (http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/04/08/lawrence_krauss_on_ending_up_in_the_geocentricism_ documentary_the_principle.html)

CaptainToonces
2014-Apr-17, 03:18 AM
So the WMAP data is not more-or-less homogeneous in all directions?