PDA

View Full Version : Where (on this Map) are the Pleiades located?

Moonhead
2014-Apr-10, 05:08 PM
Could someone point out / describe where on this map (or another one) at An Atlas of the Universe (http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/5000lys.html) the Pleiades would be located, had they been included?

Thanks in advance! :)

NEOWatcher
2014-Apr-10, 05:13 PM
It's closer to us than Betelgeuse is, so at that scale it would be too close to caption.

antoniseb
2014-Apr-10, 05:29 PM
They are about 400 light years away, and roughly in the same direction as Betelgeuse (for the purposes of this map).
As NEOWatcher mentioned above, too close to caption... and such a large number of the stars we see are that close or closer, so it would be very busy if we captioned every star as bright as the Pleiades there.

Moonhead
2014-Apr-10, 05:34 PM
It's closer to us than Betelgeuse is, so at that scale it would be too close to caption.
That Atlas web sites works (at that level) with magnitudes of 20. Zooming in one level renders the map of stars within 250 light years (http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/250lys.html), which excludes the Pleiades.

Anyway, where should I imagine the Pleiades? Maybe you could use the <250 ly map to explain? I'd be happy with a rough, general outline.

(I provided the map because it enables me to visualize. Ideally it would have a sliding zoomer, in stead of fixed intervals because these will always necessarily leave things out, but I'm glad and grateful someone made it. It's a very cool way to get an impression.)

antoniseb
2014-Apr-10, 05:43 PM
... where should I imagine the Pleiades? Maybe you could use the <250 ly map to explain?
On the next map in, follow the line to the Hyades cluster and keep going to 425 light years. The Hyades are the face of the Bull (Taurus). The Pleiades are some other part (Usually the Heart).

Moonhead
2014-Apr-10, 05:47 PM
On the next map in, follow the line to the Hyades cluster and keep going to 425 light years. The Hyades are the face of the Bull (Taurus). The Pleiades are some other part (Usually the Heart).
Thanks a lot!!

Jeff Root
2014-Apr-10, 06:11 PM
The direction to the Pleiades is close to the direction to the
Hyades. Orion and Betelgeuse are on one side of the Hyades,
while the Pleiades are on the other side. Orion and the
Hyades are farther apart on the sky than are the Hyades and
the Pleiades, which are both in Taurus. Aldebaran is directly
between us and the Hyades, half as far away. The Pleiades
are four times as far away as the Hyades. Betelgeuse is
a bit farther away than the Pleiades.

So figure out the direction to Orion and Betelgeuse, and the
direction to the Hyades and Aldebaran, and the Pleiades will
be a little farther over and four times as far away.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis