PDA

View Full Version : Summertime, day one!

Argos
2004-Dec-21, 10:19 AM
Well, this is to remember that this a planetary board. :)

frogesque
2004-Dec-21, 10:28 AM
You've jumped the gun :lol: The solstice isn't untill 12.41pm GMT, still 2hours 14min to go.

Stone Henge - New Age site (http://www.new-age.co.uk/winter-solstice-2003.htm)

skwirlinator
2004-Dec-21, 10:35 AM
Celestia
Awesome, I finally got it to run! Is anyone else running Celestia on a home PC or Laptop?
If you use it at work ya just don't count. (Bla!... sticks out bannana colored tongue)

Here's a site about creating textures for Celestia
http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/textures.html

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/fictional.php#1700

Shatters.net is not working at this time
try here again
http://shatters.net/celestia/

skwirlinator
2004-Dec-21, 10:40 AM
I downloaded it and I can't run the demo

Does anyone have the demo running on their homepc or laptop?

Is it as cool as it looks?

http://www.keyhole.com/

I could have had some fun with this!

(sob, sob, eat a bannana popsicle)

ToSeek
2004-Dec-21, 02:29 PM
I don't want any Aussies gloating about their summer weather. The windchill here is 16 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 Celsius).

Swift
2004-Dec-21, 02:31 PM
Summertime? What are talking about, it's the start of winter. You'd think you were on the other side of the world or something.

8-[ :wink: :D

skwirlinator
2004-Dec-21, 02:31 PM
We have a 50% chance of rain or snow according to last nights forecast on the local news.

That says It might rain or it might snow.

NICE FORECAST!
=D>

Wally
2004-Dec-21, 02:39 PM
Just remember, us topsiders have you bottom dwellers well outnumbered! So. . . watch with the smart-alecking "summertime" comments bub!!! :P

pteranodon
2004-Dec-21, 03:43 PM
=D>

And my vacation starts on Dec 29th. \:D/

Andromeda321
2004-Dec-21, 06:10 PM
My sister's studying abroad in Melbourne, Australia next term and spends all her time talking about just how nice the weather is there. I either want to hide her in the closet and take her place on the airplane instead (I look like her enough right?) or just go someplace cooler then Melbourne in two years. Or at least with a cooler beach. 8)

paulie jay
2004-Dec-22, 12:37 AM
It's been summer here since December the 1st...

mickal555
2004-Dec-22, 01:01 PM
Its 40 odd degrees here so don't complain about the cold!!!!
We hav't got much summer storms yet though

Moose
2004-Dec-22, 02:11 PM

Don't make me go over there.

... Oh wait. Make me go over there. Please?

mickal555
2004-Dec-22, 02:25 PM

Don't make me go over there.

... Oh wait. Make me go over there. Please?
Don't forget to bring your togs and thongs

Kizarvexis
2004-Dec-22, 02:27 PM
No, it is Spring right now. November to the beginning of March is Spring. The rest of the year is Summer. ;)

Kizarvexis
Loving living in Tampa, Florida 8)

Swift
2004-Dec-22, 02:28 PM
No, it is Spring right now. November to the beginning of March is Spring. The rest of the year is Summer. ;)

Kizarvexis
Loving living in Tampa, Florida 8)
When I lived in Louisiana, people talked about two seasons: summer and not-summer. :wink:

Moose
2004-Dec-22, 02:37 PM
Eastern canadians make the same joke, except about "winter" and "not-winter" (which lasts three weeks in July.)

It isn't really that bad, of course, but it sure feels like it when you're blowing a four-foot plowed snowbank into in a -50C windchill. (Actual temp -25C or so.) Not an uncommon occurence around here. (Although most of the time snowfall and cold are mutually exclusive. We don't usually get them at the same time.)

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Dec-22, 07:45 PM
Ugh. I hate "not-winter" on the Bay of Fundy. I always seem to vacation during the three weeks of 110 F weather. In a house without air conditioning. Agh!

Moose
2004-Dec-22, 07:52 PM
Yeah, we do have some pretty wide extremes of weather.

Over here, in the north of the province, we tend to spend a lot of time on the Restigouche River. Lot of small boaters here. Mostly powered canoes, but I've seen people take jet-skis and even aluminium fishing boats (the 10-15 footers you fly-fish from, whatever those are called, not the bigger crabbing boats) surprisingly far upstream when the water was so high last year.

We're getting a snow-year, so if the usual trend applies, "not winter" should be fairly comfortable.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Dec-22, 07:54 PM
...and I'll be preparing to go to university rather than vacationing. Nuts. :)

Ari Jokimaki
2004-Dec-23, 07:21 AM
Hmm... it's semi-dark (9:20 AM) and snowing, strange start for a summer. It's quite warm though, +1C.

beskeptical
2004-Dec-23, 08:21 AM
Well let's see, the coldest I mentioned earlier was in the Colorado Rockies, but when I was in Melbourne, AU in Dec a while ago, it was 44C. That was waaaaay too hot.

Anyway, it is kind of horizon broadening to know it's summer for some folks on the board. Maybe I'll get to visit your country one day, Argos. :D

Argos
2004-Dec-23, 10:57 AM
Anyway, it is kind of horizon broadening to know it's summer for some folks on the board. Maybe I'll get to visit your country one day, Argos. :D

It would be an enormous pleasure, for us and for you. Just let me know in advance, so I can extend the red carpet upon your arrival.
:D
Anyway, I should swallow what I said in the OP, because right now the temperature is 14 C (some 58 F) :o. A very odd start for a Brazilian summer. I guess thatīs what they call "global warming".