PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Determiner
2004-Dec-21, 01:09 PM
Hi @ all.
Im a new Member of your community! I'm happy to have found such a board.
Please excuse grammar & word mistakes...I'm not a natural english speaker :). I hope you will tell me all my faults. Else i can't learn more about english.
I know...already in this text are some faults. Or not?
greetings (no idea what to say at the end :D)
Determiner

Captain Kidd
2004-Dec-21, 01:37 PM
Welcome!

So far you're doing better than some that are supposedly native to English.

kucharek
2004-Dec-21, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the BABB, Determiner.

You did yourself a great Christmas gift by joining here. =D>
We all make mistakes - and some of the worst are done by our native English speaking members here (though I sometimes doubt if the stuff spoken in the US or Oz is English) :-)
And your written English is pretty well, no need for corrections. [-(

Have fun - and learn something new here every day. :wink:

Harald

PS: Where are you and what's your native language?

Bawheid
2004-Dec-21, 02:07 PM
Welcome Determiner.

Swift
2004-Dec-21, 02:21 PM
Determiner, welcome on board. Your English is fine. This is a fun place and there are a lot of very nice people.

greetings (no idea what to say at the end )
Usually people don't bother with a "closing" for bulletin board posts. In a formal letter you would say something like "Sincerely" or "Yours truely". If you want to have a closing for one of these posts you might say something like "Bye" or "See you". "Greetings" is usually used for an opening (at the beginning).

If you need any other advice about your English, ask kucharek, his English is better than most of us native speakers :wink: (by the way, in the US we speak USlish, not English #-o )

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-21, 02:37 PM
Hi @ all.
Im a new Member of your community! I'm happy to have found such a board.
Please excuse grammar & word mistakes...I'm not a natural english speaker :). I hope you will tell me all my faults. Else i can't learn more about english.
I know...already in this text are some faults. Or not?
greetings (no idea what to say at the end :D)
Determiner

Hi Determiner. Welcome! I'll soon be doing the same thing you are on a German board, so unlike everyone else here, I'm going to actually correct you since you asked. :D

I'm not sure why you put the '@' between Hi and all, but it's makes it sound like you said: "Hi at all" which makes no sense.

There are a variety of things you could say at the end. Greetings is a form of hello. You might want to say: Regards, Sincerely, See you around, Goodbye. However, since this is a message board, people generally don't sign off at all in a message. That is reserved for writing letters.

Everything else you wrote is acceptable because it does the job of communicating. :D

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-21, 02:38 PM
Determiner, welcome on board. Your English is fine. This is a fun place and there are a lot of very nice people.

greetings (no idea what to say at the end )
Usually people don't bother with a "closing" for bulletin board posts. In a formal letter you would say something like "Sincerely" or "Yours truely". If you want to have a closing for one of these posts you might say something like "Bye" or "See you". "Greetings" is usually used for an opening (at the beginning).

If you need any other advice about your English, ask kucharek, his English is better than most of us native speakers :wink: (by the way, in the US we speak USlish, not English #-o )

It's truly not truely. Normally, I don't nitpick, but since Determiner wants to learn... also, I think American is more appropriate than USlish? Blech. :wink:

SeanF
2004-Dec-21, 02:39 PM
Welcome aboard, Determiner!

Want a quick lesson in an English word?

This is what we call "irony." :D

Ut
2004-Dec-21, 02:44 PM
How about Yankish? Since everyone in the western word is "American". :P

Hi @ ___ is an IRCism. Someone's been practicing their foreign languages in chat rooms, eh? If so, you've done an excellent job of not falling into the terrible, terrible language holes there.

Oh, and welcome!

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-21, 02:46 PM

:lol: So true. My mom, a native English speaker, still struggles with when to use good and when to use well. I think I'll show this to her. :D

skwirlinator
Hi Determiner!

I'm just a mechanic who likes learning. The only thin I would have done different , aside from SciFiChick's notes, Is to say "I hope you tell me all my faults so I can learn from my mistakes."

It flows and is a positive statement

It invites people to become 'The Teacher'

It tells others you know you are human.

This place is a world of knowledge, I spent months on the main website before I even thoght about this board. Great website, you should check it out if you have time. The BAinator sets em straight!
I made up BAinator.
It stands for Bad Astronomy Terminator- Kinda describes his mission hugh?

Bawheid
I'm not sure why you put the '@' between Hi and all, but it's makes it sound like you said: "Hi at all" which makes no sense.

Some boards have a protocol that "@" is used in greetings. So "Hi @ all" is a general greeting, "Hi @ Bawheid" would be a comment addressed to me. Not wrong, just not usual here.

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-21, 02:47 PM

Good point. And I rather like being called a Yank. :)

Hi @ ___ is an IRCism. Someone's been practicing their foreign languages in chat rooms, eh?

So, what does it mean? I don't go to chat rooms myself.

R.A.F.
2004-Dec-21, 02:47 PM
If you need any other advice about your English, ask kucharek, his English is better than most of us native speakers.

Whatever you do...don't ask for "english advice" from Humphrey. :lol:

Welcome, Determiner!

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-21, 02:48 PM
If you need any other advice about your English, ask kucharek, his English is better than most of us native speakers.

Welcome, Determiner!

I know! That Canadian English makes the sense that doesn't. :wink:

Ut
2004-Dec-21, 02:50 PM

Wait. Humphrey's been speaking English?!?
Oh
Sweet
Lord...

skwirlinator
2004-Dec-21, 02:54 PM
Hey, I'm an American but so is someone from Canada, Mexico, Panama, Brazile and Chile to name a few.

I refer to myself as a Missourian. More descriptive and lends a sense of individuality.

There was a giant Native Indian city not far from here called Cahokia. There is a park dedicated to the great earthen mounds they constructed Waaay before the French owned the land.

kucharek
2004-Dec-21, 03:02 PM

Yep. I'm sure, Determiner will relax a lot after he's being greeted by Humphrey of Mickal :-)

kucharek
2004-Dec-21, 03:03 PM

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

N C More
2004-Dec-21, 03:19 PM
Well, I teach English as a second language and I think that everyone is doing just fine! Sure, there are little things that will improve with experience but the bottom line is that I can understand what you're telling me. :D A geat deal of the small errors in grammar and syntax improve with use, so don't be overly concerned, just keep up the good work!

Kaptain K
2004-Dec-21, 07:55 PM
Just wait 'til he comes across a post by HUb'. I've been here a long time and am a native speaker of American English. Often, I am left scratching my head by his posts. :roll:

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-21, 08:18 PM
Just wait 'til he comes across a post by HUb'. I've been here a long time and am a native speaker of American English. Often, I am left scratching my head by his posts. :roll:

That's because he's not speaking English. He's speaking Hubbish. 8)

frogesque
2004-Dec-21, 08:54 PM
Determiner Welcome to the board and don't worry too much about the English.

Zachary
2004-Dec-21, 08:56 PM
(by the way, in the US we speak USlish, not English #-o )

English for the proles you mean :P

[runs for cover] 8-[

Swift
2004-Dec-21, 09:11 PM
(by the way, in the US we speak USlish, not English #-o )

English for the proles you mean :P

[runs for cover] 8-[
Prole, hmmmmm ????? :-k

Definition: [n] a member of the working class (not necessarily employed); "workers of the world--unite!
Hey, I resemble that remark. :D

Candy
2004-Dec-21, 09:49 PM
Hello, Determiner! http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/wavey.gif

Maksutov
2004-Dec-21, 11:27 PM
Welcome, Determiner!

And "hello" back @ cha!

I think it's all well and good that you want to learn a foreign language. There are many languages used in posts on this board. Some approximate standard English, others are close to American English. :wink: But almost all the posts contain interesting and useful information. If you find yourself stumped by idiomatic expressions, and the other challenges of learning a new tongue, just ask.

BTW, remember to read the FAQs (see top of page). Things are strictly administered around here and we'd like your stay to be not only informative and enjoyable, but also lengthy.

Donnie B.
2004-Dec-22, 02:08 AM
Well, I teach English as a second language...
Ambiguity Alert!

This statement could be interpreted at least two ways... 8)

[Edited to add] Ooops! Forgot to say:

Welcome, Determiner! I wish I could use your language (whatever it may be) as well as you use English.

Captain Kidd
2004-Dec-22, 04:52 AM

Good point. And I rather like being called a Yank. :)Um, I am not a dang Yankee! :wink: Crazy northerners thinking they get to be the description of the US. :D

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-22, 05:13 AM

Good point. And I rather like being called a Yank. :)Um, I am not a dang Yankee! :wink: Crazy northerners thinking they get to be the description of the US. :D

Yank and Yankee are two ENTIRELY different things. I am a total dixie girl myself.

mickal555
2004-Dec-22, 01:10 PM

Whatever you do...don't ask for "English advice" from Humphrey. :lol:

Yep. I'm sure, Determiner will relax a lot after he's being greeted by Humphrey of Mickal :-)
HA!!!!!!!
looks like the hunter has become the hunted
muhahahhahacachchhc cough.cough.
Hmmm I should stop doing that........

Humphrey
2004-Dec-22, 06:05 PM
Do not fear! I have returned once again! let the spelling corrections begin!

Welcome to the board. Pay no attention to the posters before me. They all spell incorrectly. Its well known they are all rebels who use a antique and incorrect version of the English language.

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-22, 06:07 PM
Do not fear! I have returned once again! let the spelling corrections begin!

The 'l' in let should be capitalized since it begins a sentence.

Welcome to the board. Pay no attention to the posters before me. They all spell incorrectly. Its well known they are all rebels who use a antique and incorrect version of the English language.

Its should be it's as it is a contraction of it is.

Also it should be an antique not a antique.

8)

Humphrey
2004-Dec-22, 06:28 PM
See what i mean! She's one of them. Raise the Sporks and the torches! Lets make a rabbeling mob!

Swift
2004-Dec-22, 06:32 PM
See what i mean! She's one of them. Raise the Sporks and the torches! Lets make a rabbeling mob!
Them, who or what is this "them".
Humans? Women? BABBers? Spellers? Virginians? Science Fiction Fans?
:lol:

By the way, anyone notice that Determiner hasn't been back. Hope we didn't scare him with our over-the-top welcomes. 8-[

Humphrey
2004-Dec-22, 06:44 PM
Them, who or what is this "them".
Humans? Women? BABBers? Spellers? Virginians? Science Fiction Fans?
:lol:

All of the above, but worst of all, one of the "Spelling corrector" group.

SeanF
2004-Dec-22, 08:09 PM
Its should be it's as it is a contraction of it is. [-X

Its should be It's as it is a contraction of It is.

;)

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-22, 10:35 PM
Hmph! I notice Humphrey didn't say anything about SeanF's corrections. It's because I'm a woman. I know it is. :wink:

Humphrey
2004-Dec-23, 12:13 AM
OF course. Women are pure evil. j/k....or am i....? :-P

Don't worry. SeanF will become one of the slave minions as a jester in my court of eternal boredom.

Doe, John
2004-Dec-23, 12:58 AM
Hmph! I notice Humphrey didn't say anything about SeanF's corrections. It's because I'm a woman. I know it is. :wink:

That's because SeanF was correcting you.

Candy
2004-Dec-23, 01:00 PM

That's because SeanF was correcting you.
Oh, dear! 8-[