PDA

View Full Version : Nova show on string theory

Wally
2004-Dec-21, 06:37 PM
Noticed in the TV listings that Nova tonight will be on the String Theory of the universe. 20:00 Eastern standard time on PBS. Just FYI. . .

. . . and now, for something completely different.

I also noticed the listing (USA Today) only gave a ranking of 1 "star" to Big Trouble in Little China. Maybe it's just me, but I always get a kick out of that movie! Kurt Russel's over-the-top hero character slays me!

teddyv
2004-Dec-21, 07:02 PM
I also noticed the listing (USA Today) only gave a ranking of 1 "star" to Big Trouble in Little China. Maybe it's just me, but I always get a kick out of that movie! Kurt Russel's over-the-top hero character slays me!

I know what you mean. It's a pretty ridiculous movie, but it's a lot of fun to watch. Just turn off the brain and enjoy.

Van Rijn
2004-Dec-21, 08:51 PM
Ditto. I saw a low rating for that movie somewhere else a while back, and remember being surprised as well. At the same time they had another fantasy or science fiction movie (can't remember the name) that I thought was absolutely terrible - but had four stars. Sure "Big Trouble" has silly bits, but it clearly isn't meant to be taken seriously. If you are going to judge a movie on silliness, you don't have far to look. At least "Big Trouble" was fun.

Celestial Mechanic
2004-Dec-21, 10:16 PM
I agree about Big Trouble in Little China. When those guys wearing the lampshades floated in, I was hooked!

beck0311
2004-Dec-23, 05:00 AM
So I am not alone. I really liked that movie too.

sidmel
2004-Dec-23, 02:33 PM
Not alone at all. It's one of my top 10 favorite sch-fi movies and has one of my favorite move quotes of all time:

"Next time some eight foot tall, wild-eyed maniac taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall and asks you if you've paid your dues, well, you just do what ol' Jack Burton always does at a time like that. You stare that sucker right back in the eye. 'Have you paid your dues, Jack?' 'Yes sir, the check is in the mail.'"--Jack Burton

semi-sentient
2004-Dec-23, 03:03 PM
Big Trouble in Little China is probably my favorite movie of all time. I loved it as a kid and still love it to this day. I can't imagine why anyone would give it only 1 star... crazy.