PDA

View Full Version : Travelling abroad need to take internal hard disks = okay?

Concerned
2014-May-17, 12:29 AM
Hi,

This is really off topic, but can't find any definitive source.

I'm going to Canada next week for work, leaving from Heathrow.

I use both windows and Linux pc's, two hd's per computer. I wanted to take my hd's with me as they hold a bunch of useful resources and my personal configurations which I just can't do without.

My query, is it okay to take internal hd's in your checked/hand luggage or will I be stopped by security. There is no illegal content so not concerned if security wants to look at them, but, just not sure if this is an allowed thing or not. Uk customs site is useless, seem infatuated with external hd's and laptops.

Jens
2014-May-17, 03:19 AM
They probably don't mention it because few people ask. I would assume the rules would be the same as for external drives. Why would they be any different?

Noclevername
2014-May-17, 04:21 AM
Maybe you should call the airport or the airline, and ask what their security requirements are.

JohnD
2014-May-17, 08:57 AM
You will only be stopped if you have met Edward Snowden, and have a hard disc with elaborate security encryption on board.

JOhn

Concerned
2014-May-17, 09:32 AM
You will only be stopped if you have met Edward Snowden, and have a hard disc with elaborate security encryption on board.

JOhn
:clap:

Concerned
2014-May-17, 09:33 AM
Thanks, Ill call the airline

Moose
2014-May-17, 06:23 PM
You should have the London side fill out a card that says you have it with you, it's UK-bought, and that you intend to bring it back with you. I've never heard of Canada customs caring what you have on your hard drive/laptop/data cards, just so long as you're not trying to dodge duty tax. The card will let CCRA waive it without any fuss, and the same when you return to the UK.

Concerned
2014-May-18, 12:25 AM
You should have the London side fill out a card that says you have it with you, it's UK-bought, and that you intend to bring it back with you. I've never heard of Canada customs caring what you have on your hard drive/laptop/data cards, just so long as you're not trying to dodge duty tax. The card will let CCRA waive it without any fuss, and the same when you return to the UK.

Thanks