PDA

View Full Version : Colonising other worlds

selvaarchi
2014-May-19, 03:01 PM
Two good articles in theguardian on this subject.

1st one I am posting is about the private organizations wanting to colonize Mars on a time scale much quicker then any space agencies. Private want it to be in the 2020s and space agencies are talking of the 2030s or later. The article makes the valid point on if we have enough knowledge in all the different technologies and challenges required to send men on a one way trip to Mars and survive. Nasa says it will not regulate private missions to land people on Mars but would offer advice if it felt lives were in danger.

2nd article discuss building cities in space. Here they give 3 options. 1) in LEO around the ISS 2) on the moon or Mars 3) free floating in BEO. Again it talks about our current technology and is it sufficient. One example give is using aluminum for shielding -
“Aluminum shielding can actually be part of the problem,” says Vince Michaud, Nasa’s deputy chief health and medical officer. “Radiation that makes it through takes some of the aluminum with it.” It is not that no work is being done in this area. Again from the article
Nasa spends $28m every year in radiation research alone, including pharmaceutical and nutriceutical countermeasures and magnetic shielding.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/2014/may/19/nasa-private-manned-missions-mars

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/may/16/how-build-city-in-space-nasa-elon-musk-spacex

NEOWatcher
2014-May-19, 03:24 PM
Two good articles in theguardian on this subject.
Good, and maybe the presenters may have changed, but certainly not something that hasn't been discussed before.

1st one I am posting is about the private organizations wanting to colonize Mars on a time scale much quicker then any space agencies. Private want it to be in the 2020s and space agencies are talking of the 2030s or later.
I don't think "colonize" isn't really a good word in this context. Certainly there are grand plans for future colonization, but for the short term, all that's been claimed are landings and visits and one way trips.

The article makes the valid point on if we have enough knowledge in all the different technologies and challenges required to send men on a one way trip to Mars and survive. Nasa says it will not regulate private missions to land people on Mars but would offer advice if it felt lives were in danger.
Maybe NASA wouldn't regulate private missions, but I would gather that there would be quite a few politicians jumping on the bandwagon if NASA does speak up. Agencies can range anywhere from FAA, OSHA, NTSB. Consumer Protection agency, FTC... it's all going to depend on what the percieved unacceptable risk involves.

I think a key statement in that first article is what Stofan said about not yet having enough details for any of the private concepts.

It all certainly seems like a wait-and-see attitude.