PDA

View Full Version : Daily mirror: Radiation can alter their DNA, warn scientists

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-23, 12:08 AM
DO NOT LET KIDS USE MOBILES (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=15002594%26method=full%26siteid=50143% 26headline=do%2dnot%2dlet%2dkids%2duse%2dmobiles-name_page.html)

Okay for the non UK people on this board if you haven't heard of the daily mirror you're lucky.

CHILDREN should be banned from using mobile phones because of harmful radiation, scientists said yesterday.

Radio waves from mobiles can alter youngsters' DNA, harm their body cells and even warp genetic material in adults, a four-year study has concluded.

And it's gone to pot in the second sentence. Mobile (cell) phones use low frequency microwaves, which is what the big fuss is over. The mirror sells by scare tactic and you can see they have never heard of the word science fact when the National Radiological Protection Board said:

There is no reason for people to be worried.

](*,) Thank god i don't buy the thing :D

sarongsong
2004-Dec-23, 03:09 AM
Reuters (http://www.reuters.co.uk/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID =7141560) gave us a similar story without The Mirror's hysterics---interesting comparison in styles:
"... harm body cells and damage DNA in laboratory conditions, according to a new study majority-funded by the European Union..."

captain swoop
2004-Dec-23, 09:08 AM
Well, I can see the Right Wing tabloids like the Sun, Mail, Express jumping on the EU funding. It's 'European' therefore ignore it, they just want to interfere with our phones. From the other side the NRPB is obviously just a Govt 'Spin' department trying to rubbish the Daily Mirror story.

What the facts are isn't important.

Amadeus
2004-Dec-23, 01:19 PM
Not just the Mirror. Don't know why thats been signaled out here.
Saw the same story in Metro front page (free morning paper) and the Evening standard. Asume it was in other papers but those are the only 3 I get.

As for the whole getting radio & microwaves mix-up you can can hardly blame the Mirror when the Reuters report calls them Radio waves.

Paraphrasing a report is what all media does. They haven't got the space or time to read out a complete report. They pick out the key points. What they are all guilty of sometimes is not putting those points in contex.

The context here being that in laboratory conditions there is damage that is carried over to the next generation of cells. They said they could not prove any harmful effects beccause of the lab set up. The next stage will be on animals and human volunteers.

We cannot just dismiss a major study just because a few media companies have done a bit of a scare story.

I have a phone that I use. What I do want is studies like this to find out what the effects if any it can have and what can be done to limit them.

The interesting thing is at the bottom of the Reuters arctical it mentions a german company making a phone that uses burst transmissions to limit exposure. If it was a clear cut case that the health effects are zero then why go to the expense of makign a phone that limits it?

I recomend everyone reads the Reuters link. I have not quoted from it because I was not sure abotu the copyright issues.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-23, 04:45 PM
Well, I can see the Right Wing tabloids like the Sun, Mail, Express jumping on the EU funding. It's 'European' therefore ignore it, they just want to interfere with our phones. From the other side the NRPB is obviously just a Govt 'Spin' department trying to rubbish the Daily Mirror story.

What the facts are isn't important.

Anyone who thinks the NRPB is a spin group personally i think they need a good kick in the teeth. They helped the government with all the radon gas scare, but i'm glad to see the telecom companys aren't doing what the tobacco companys.

I can't stand the mirror though why only children not use mobile phones? why put it in block capitals? why do a front page spread of it?
Actually if i remember right when i've read the mirror i have never seen a nice front page spread. For about a week there was all the beckham scandles and the Sven ones, david blunkett...

I know the mirror isn't the only one that does it though and i can't blame them as bad news sells better then good. I would like to see the original report to see if it has anything at all to do with children or if the mirror fabricated that for sales.

Glom
2004-Dec-23, 04:46 PM
And for a look at tomorrow's headlines, the Mirror runs with "Don't let kids breathe! Oxygen can alter their DNA!"

Zachary
2004-Dec-23, 05:04 PM
And for a look at tomorrow's headlines, the Mirror runs with "Don't let kids breathe! Oxygen can alter their DNA!"

hehe, I wonder if their 'science' (ha!) editor has heard of the dihydrogen monoxide scam joke.

"Hello? Yes, I have a story for you." :wink:

Amadeus
2004-Dec-23, 05:33 PM

What I read in another paper (metro) was that children were at a greater risk because their cells were more damaged during the tests. The tests IIRC were performed on cells collected from a range of ages.

Van Rijn
2004-Dec-24, 03:32 AM
Of course, this isn't new. There have been radio wave scare stories (even power line scare stories) for decades, and I remember "Cell phones cause tumors" stories several years ago. All based on questionable or nonexistent research, naturally.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-24, 03:41 AM
Of course, this isn't new. There have been radio wave scare stories (even power line scare stories) for decades, and I remember "Cell phones cause tumors" stories several years ago. All based on questionable or nonexistent research, naturally.

I think living under one of the masts would be a bigger worry. Personally i'd be glad to get a good reception for once :D

Anyway if the microwaves mobile phones use cause cancer wouldn't also constantly being bombarded with radiowaves on all frequencys for TV and Radio have had an effect?
I know, i know less energy but i have my phone next to my ear for a call between 5 and 20 mins i'm swarmed with radiowaves 24/7. I like to use text messages more then calls as i can put pictures in them :)