PDA

View Full Version : Natural selection at work...

EvilBob
2004-Dec-23, 04:41 AM
Last post before I head off for Xmas...

Here's a little example to bring up with anyone doubting evolution.... and with anyone who has to deal with cane toads!
Researchers welcome evolution of cane toad's predator (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200412/s1270907.htm)

See you after the holiday.... Have a good one everybody!
\:D/

paulie jay
2004-Dec-23, 04:55 AM
Hope it's not too hot for you Bob - they're predicting 33 degrees for Saturday!

EvilBob
2004-Dec-23, 05:03 AM
Luckily, I'll be in Melbourne where it's slated to be 22 - getting a bit cold, really! Hope Sydney's not too hot, and you have a safe and happy Christmas!

paulie jay
2004-Dec-23, 05:06 AM
Thanks man! I'll have a cold one for you!

beck0311
2004-Dec-23, 05:10 AM
Hope it's not too hot for you Bob - they're predicting 33 degrees for Saturday!

That sounds cold to me, but I am probably using a different system than you. :wink:

paulie jay
2004-Dec-23, 05:17 AM
33 celsius, which equals 91 farenheit. Not scorching hot, but it's no white Christmas I can tell you!

beck0311
2004-Dec-23, 05:25 AM
Isn't it summer down there?

EvilBob
2004-Dec-23, 05:32 AM
It is, but I believe that the date of Christmas is on the winter equinox in the southern hemisphere too. Doesn't matter that it's usually hot enough to go swimming, it's still the winter equinox....

:roll:

Hey Paulie Jay - enjoy the coldie. I'll raise a glass for you too!

beck0311
2004-Dec-23, 05:35 AM
It is, but I believe that the date of Christmas is on the winter equinox in the southern hemisphere too. Doesn't matter that it's usually hot enough to go swimming, it's still the winter equinox....

:roll:

Hey Paulie Jay - enjoy the coldie. I'll raise a glass for you too!

I don't mean to sound obtuse, but the shortest day of the year occurs in summer? Or do they call the longest day of the year down there the Winter Solstice?

EvilBob
2004-Dec-23, 05:52 AM
It's still the longest day of the year - so it's really the summer equinox. But since it's winter in the Northern Hemisphere where the names of these things originate, it's called the winter equinox. Don't ask me why.

beck0311
2004-Dec-23, 05:58 AM
It's still the longest day of the year - so it's really the summer equinox. But since it's winter in the Northern Hemisphere where the names of these things originate, it's called the winter equinox. Don't ask me why.

Huh. Suddenly I feel like I am hemispherocentric, or something. :)

SeanF
2004-Dec-23, 02:42 PM
Why?

Just kidding.

It's called the winter solstice, by the way. Winter and summer are solstices, autumn and spring are equinoxes.

EvilBob
2004-Dec-24, 04:42 AM
D'oh! I knew that. Just not thinking, I guess.....

#-o