PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Dinosaurs

cjackson
2014-May-25, 09:25 PM
Having just watched Godzilla and read about the massive bones discovered in Argentina, I ask: what would it take to kill the largest sauropod dinosaurs? Could you spray a Argentinosaurus with AK-47 fire and kill it? Would an elephant gun bring it down?

slang
2014-May-25, 09:29 PM
An asteroid.

Ok, I'll get my coat.

HenrikOlsen
2014-May-25, 09:43 PM
A pack of smaller sauropods.

KaiYeves
2014-May-25, 10:02 PM
There is a lot of discussion online about which guns to use when hunting a T. rex, but I don't know if I've seen any similar discussion for sauropods.

John Mendenhall
2014-May-25, 10:44 PM
a bazooka?

I'm thinking any recoil gun would hurt the hunter more than the Dino.

Jens
2014-May-26, 12:18 AM
How about a chainsaw?

Noclevername
2014-May-26, 12:37 AM
I thought this thread would be about using dinosaurs to hunt, like dogs.

KaiYeves
2014-May-26, 02:10 AM

The bigger ones might be overkill, but a Troodon or other small carnivore would probably be good for that.

Swift
2014-May-26, 03:54 AM
Semi-serious:
I don't know, but I always thought that science fiction movies overdid unkillable creatures like dinosaurs. I recall too many bad 1950s black & white SF movies, with some monster dinosaur or giant ant or whatever on the rampage and bullets (even lots of them) wouldn't stop them. Even rockets and artillery would be ineffective. Maybe that's true, but I really doubt it.

Much less serious:
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/Elmer-Fudd_small.jpg
Shhh. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting dinosaurs, huh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh"

schlaugh
2014-May-26, 03:59 AM

And I thought it was going to be about dinosaurs that hunt. :)

As for the OP, I'd think that any large caliber round, like a .50 caliber, might be adequate if the shooter struck the animal's heart or did major damage to the lungs. But something like a T Rex might be able to keep going for some time. Even deer can run for some distance when struck through the lungs. Basically they bleed out.

A head shot could work I suppose, but dinos had relatively small brains encased in large skulls. Might be tough to even get a round into the brain case.

ETA: Just reread the OP and realized we're talking about sauropods. Those large creatures might require several shots to the heart and/or lungs for a more rapid effect, but eventually the animal will bleed out. Certainly a spray of automatic fire would also be effective. I don't think dino skin would much of a barrier although the huge rib bones could be a problem.

A modern analog is harpooning and lancing large whales. It takes time, but eventually the animals die from wounds to their hearts and lungs.

Hornblower
2014-May-26, 01:18 PM
See this Wiki article about stopping power of firearms, meaning the ability to instantly incapacitate a charging elephant or a similar adversary. I am guessing that you would need to scale the gun up in proportion to the size of the animal for a large sauropod, but it might not be that simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_power

John Mendenhall
2014-May-26, 02:39 PM
Don't shoot them, you'll only make them mad.

Noclevername
2014-May-26, 02:51 PM
Shhh. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting dinosaurs, huh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh"
Dinosaws.

swampyankee
2014-May-26, 03:28 PM
Only the wimps would use guns. Queequeg didn't need a gun, and sperm whales are BIG.

A fun read is L. Sprague de Camp's "A Gun for a Dinosaur."

Ara Pacis
2014-May-26, 05:47 PM
Obviously they'd use snow-speeders with tow-cables.

Nicolas
2014-May-26, 07:57 PM
Current land animals are smaller, but it's easy to kill an elephant and still quite easy to kill rhino's. Poachers (try to) do it all the time, unfortunately. Even crocodiles aren't extremely difficult to kill with the right approach. I think the right approach is key here, because sauropods certainly have their weaknesses.

swampyankee
2014-May-26, 11:36 PM
Big, brawny guy with harpoon, thrown from a wagon. What could go wrong?

SeanF
2014-May-27, 01:29 PM
Do you have any idea how hard it is to throw a big, brawny guy - even without a harpoon?

JustAFriend
2014-May-27, 02:32 PM
Suitcase nukes solve all kinds of problems... even dinosaur infestations.

Noclevername
2014-May-27, 02:36 PM
Suitcase nukes solve all kinds of problems... even dinosaur infestations.

Hunting implies there being some part of the animal left afterwards. Otherwise it's just extermination.

HenrikOlsen
2014-May-27, 02:59 PM
Do you have any idea how hard it is to throw a big, brawny guy - even without a harpoon?
That's why you should always bring your trebuchet.

profloater
2014-May-27, 03:09 PM
If you doubt modern weapons like trebuchets you could have a heavy sword or Axe and go for the back leg tendons as I have read used to done with elephants and giraffes before guns, but a strong rope would also be quite good. I wonder if Trebuchet has info on ancient rope strengths, I guess you would need two tons or so breaking. Then you could make a bolas to bring the Dino down.

John Mendenhall
2014-May-27, 03:14 PM
Current land animals are smaller, but it's easy to kill an elephant and still quite easy to kill rhino's. Poachers (try to) do it all the time, unfortunately. Even crocodiles aren't extremely difficult to kill with the right approach. I think the right approach is key here, because sauropods certainly have their weaknesses.

I know an accomplished hunter (this is not a joke) who hunts wild boar with a single shot muzzle loader. He's still alive, so obviously he knows the right approach.

He likes the challenge. I think he's crazy.

swampyankee
2014-May-27, 07:14 PM
I know an accomplished hunter (this is not a joke) who hunts wild boar with a single shot muzzle loader. He's still alive, so obviously he knows the right approach.

He likes the challenge. I think he's crazy.

In Europe, they use to hunt them with spears. They had to put a cross bar on the spear to keep the boar from continuing to run at the person who just speared it.

swampyankee
2014-May-27, 07:15 PM

The brawny guy would throw me from the wagon and keep the harpoon.

What could go wrong?

Obviously, my command of English.

Shira
2014-May-29, 01:47 PM
I would try 50 caliber sniper rifle from a PRETTY i mean it pretty long distance because if the bullet bounces like a popcorn i might have chance to go chicken. ;)

Hornblower
2014-May-29, 10:19 PM
Only the wimps would use guns. Queequeg didn't need a gun, and sperm whales are BIG.

A fun read is L. Sprague de Camp's "A Gun for a Dinosaur."
It has been so long since I read Moby Dick that I don't remember all the details, but I seem to remember that Queequeg had lots of help in getting into position to use the lance.

grant hutchison
2014-May-29, 10:45 PM
It has been so long since I read Moby Dick that I don't remember all the details, but I seem to remember that Queequeg had lots of help in getting into position to use the lance.Then there was a little thing called a "Nantucket sleighride" until the whale became exhausted towing the boat, then they killed the whale.

Grant Hutchison

swampyankee
2014-May-30, 12:33 AM
It has been so long since I read Moby Dick that I don't remember all the details, but I seem to remember that Queequeg had lots of help in getting into position to use the lance.

Not that much help: a guy to steer the boat, and four or five guys to power it. Probably much less help than a big game hunter in colonial Africa. Of course, Moby Dick was a bit vindictive.

SeanF
2014-May-30, 01:41 PM
Not that much help: a guy to steer the boat, and four or five guys to power it. Probably much less help than a big game hunter in colonial Africa. Of course, Moby Dick was a bit vindictive.
If you're going to compare it to a big game hunter in colonial Africa, don't you have to include the entire Pequod? :)

swampyankee
2014-May-30, 07:16 PM
If you're going to compare it to a big game hunter in colonial Africa, don't you have to include the entire Pequod? :)

Sure. The Pequod's crew was probably about 35: 4 officers, including Ahab, 4 harpooners, 4 boats' crews, of about 4 each, maybe 4 or 5 hands to stay with the ship -- keepers -- and the cook, the cabin steward, the carpenter, and the blacksmith. There were, then four hunters (either the officers or the harpooners) and about eight people, per hunter, as equivalent of a big game hunter's retinue.

publiusr
2014-May-30, 10:17 PM
I would try 50 caliber sniper rifle from a PRETTY i mean it pretty long distance because if the bullet bounces like a popcorn i might have chance to go chicken. ;)

A Barrett will bring anything down. Maybe an RPG for frilled dinosaurs for the head shot.

grant hutchison
2014-May-30, 10:35 PM
Would a .905 rifle be any use? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WiLqPB4lU0

Grant Hutchison

Trebuchet
2014-May-30, 10:51 PM
M1A2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams) for me! Or maybe an A-10.

swampyankee
2014-May-31, 08:46 PM
Peanut! This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2A3_Kondensator_2P