PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News -- Major Meltdown Over at GLP

Lurker
2004-Dec-24, 04:56 AM
Apparently the GLP is being run/administered at this point by someone known as Trinity. He has banned more than 30 regulars this evening for making negative comments about the advertising company (LOP) that is paying to put ads on the site. (apparently LOP has a rather unsavory reputation on the net)

Could this finally be the end of GLP?? :o

Stay tuned folks!!

Maksutov
2004-Dec-24, 04:59 AM
Perhaps GLP and LOP will merge and we'll wind up with GLOP.

So things may not turn out to be that much different after all...

Lycus
2004-Dec-24, 06:58 AM
Hmm, apparently even one of the moderators got banned.

frogesque
2004-Dec-24, 11:14 AM
I wonder if they will ban Anonymous Coward 8)

mid
2004-Dec-24, 12:27 PM
I'm not surprised they are saying negative things about lop.com - their malware sounds pretty evil.

The good news is that both Ad-Aware and Spybot kill it stone dead, and I'd like to think we're all running one or both anyway.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-24, 12:57 PM
Well i can't say i didn't see this coming because then i would be a liar. Just didn't expect it to be over LOP, heh silly GLPers :)

Candy
2004-Dec-24, 01:49 PM
We have a Trinity (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4785), she's a 20 year old female from Wisconsin. :wink:

Lurker
2004-Dec-24, 05:36 PM
I wonder if they will ban Anonymous Coward 8)

No... he posts more than everyone else combined!! :wink:

Well the board runs a lot faster now... I suppose you could say, "Trinity made the trains run on time??" :P

ktesibios
2004-Dec-24, 06:25 PM
Banner ads can be and have been used to do drive-by spyware installations. A number of keenspot.com readers (Keenspot is a site that hosts Web comics) got burned when a third-party advertiser bought a campaign, ran perfectly normal ads for a week or so and then suddenly switched them for ads containing scripts which loaded up the reader's computer with nasties.

So, if you feel like going slumming over at GLP, a few commonsense precautions should be in order:

Do NOT use Internet Exploder. Get a real browser.

Make sure you have Java, ActiveX (if your browser supports it) and scripting turned off.

Make sure you have up-to-date anti-spyware and anti-virus tools.

Lycus
2004-Dec-24, 06:53 PM
The story I'm hearing from the former moderator on one of GLP's refuge boards is this: Elaine was having some financial troubles and sold the site to Lop.com out of need. She's very broken up over what's happening now, but there doesn't seem to be anything she can do about it.

Kesh
2004-Dec-24, 08:54 PM
That sounds... vaguely suspicious. Has she never heard of donation campaigns? I've seen several popular sites that managed to survive just such financial troubles by doing so, and I'm sure GLP has enough suc^H^H^H fans to help out.

Either way, I wouldn't mind if it shuts down.

Candy
2004-Dec-24, 09:20 PM
I don't think Trinity likes me. 8-[

frogesque
2004-Dec-24, 10:12 PM

Just for you (http://frogesque.com/Thread-Dumb.jpg) Candy if you decide to pay GLP a visit 8)

Candy
2004-Dec-24, 10:15 PM

Just for you (http://frogesque.com/Thread-Dumb.jpg) Candy if you decide to pay GLP a visit 8)
:lol:

I'm actually registered over there - not as Candy. I go there and cause trouble when I am totally bored. 8-[

John Jones
2004-Dec-24, 10:23 PM
That sounds... vaguely suspicious. Has she never heard of donation campaigns? I've seen several popular sites that managed to survive just such financial troubles by doing so, and I'm sure GLP has enough suc^H^H^H fans to help out.

Either way, I wouldn't mind if it shuts down.

She has done that for a while. She got enough donations to buy and configure a server in october, then in November, she only got about $45, and even less in december.

Kaptain K
2004-Dec-25, 12:04 AM
Candy,
What is your registered name over there? I'm not registered, but I post as Deacon Blue.

tofu
2004-Dec-25, 02:11 AM
I'm sorry, but GLP was the worst designed site I've ever seen. It nearly made my eyes bleed. It needs to go just for that reason alone. I'm sure there are other woowoo sites out there.

Lurker
2004-Dec-25, 03:22 AM

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.godlikeproductions.com Port 80

That's ok Candy... I don't think he likes me very much either!!! :wink:

Candy
2004-Dec-25, 01:04 PM
That's ok Candy... I don't think he likes me very much either!!! :wink:
Wow, I still can access the site. Perhaps, he likes my registered name - just not that I'm female. :wink:

Candy
2004-Dec-25, 01:05 PM
I'm not registered, but I post as Deacon Blue.
Hello, Deacon Blue. 8)

Jigsaw
2004-Dec-25, 09:09 PM
Well, I am getting the same error message, but it can't be that I'm banned because I haven't been over there for a while, and AFAIK haven't directly stepped on anybody's toes.

John Jones
2004-Dec-25, 10:25 PM
Well, I am getting the same error message, but it can't be that I'm banned because I haven't been over there for a while, and AFAIK haven't directly stepped on anybody's toes.

Trinity (the new mod) has boasted of blocking entire blocks of IP address 255 at a time. He may have gotten you in a frenzy.

He means to purge the doubleplus ungood crimethinkers.

Jigsaw
2004-Dec-25, 11:16 PM
Did a Google search for "lop spyware" and got this. (http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/lop/) Ugly. I'm not even gonna try to get back in.

Somebody over at one of the GLP refugee boards confirmed that yes, "Trinity" has blocked whole masses of IP numbers, and since I have AOL, and I understand that it's AOL'ers that frequently get caught in that sort of thing...

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Dec-26, 12:33 AM
Interesting. Trinity is mod there, and the site is owned by lop. On this page (http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/lop.html), it says "trinity" is one of the variants of the evil lop malware that hijacks your browser.

Coincidence? Hmmm, a theory worthy of GLP itself.

Sammy
2004-Dec-26, 02:35 AM
I just went there and got blocked. I was OK yesterday.

I'm not even registered there, and posted only infrequently. I am an AOL user, so may have gotten swept up in some mass blocking.

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 03:25 AM
I can still get access.

There was a thread that Trinity was going to block everyone not registered by January 1st.

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 03:32 AM
I wounder if they will all come over here 8-[ (like grant)

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 03:39 AM
I wounder if they will all come over here 8-[ (like grant)
Early this morning, there were a huge amount of online viewers (mostly guests). I meant to do a print screen, because the total count was around 150. I wonder if the BA has the actual numbers available. :-k

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 03:41 AM
No I don't think he can
I wounder If he can read other peoples privete msg

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 03:47 AM
Holy molly
Most users ever online was 207 on Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:56 am :o

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 03:47 AM
No I don't think he can
Ikyoto said he can on FWIS. He doesn't, but he can. 8-[

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 03:48 AM
Hmph I can't

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 03:51 AM
Holy molly
When I saw the huge count earlier, I clicked to see Who is Online. They were mostly viewing Bad Astronomy: The Book and Bad TV! Bad Movies! No Doughnut! :D

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 03:55 AM
Hmph I can't
PM Ikyoto for directions. :)

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 03:58 AM
Holy molly
When I saw the huge count earlier, I clicked to see Who is Online. They were mostly viewing Bad Astronomy: The Book and Bad TV! Bad Movies! No Doughnut! :D
I never knew you Could click on who is online!?!??!?!?

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 04:00 AM
Hmph I can't
I dunno all my stuff is on some other server besides Ikyoto scares me I don't know who he is.

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 04:03 AM
Hmph I can't
I dunno all my stuff is on some other server besides Ikyoto scares me I don't know who he is. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's harmless. He has kids your age. He's a teacher in the computer department. His spelling is similar to yours. :D

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 04:11 AM
wow 4 regestered about 100 guests :o

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 04:16 AM
Hey, Mickal, try to access GLP (http://www.godlikeproductions.com/index.php). Let us know if you get in.

It's a weird site, so don't stay very long. 8-[

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 04:18 AM
I've been in there "it burns........."
not recently I'm scared of that lop. software

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 04:19 AM
Yep I'm in I've got and odd IP I think since I use wireless to acess the internet.

Lycus
2004-Dec-26, 08:39 AM
By the way, if anyone wants to check out the refugee boards, the two that I know of are administered by the posters Uncle Bob (http://unclebobs.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=875601022&f=507606232) and CrowWoman (http://s7.invisionfree.com/Starlight_Ballroom/index.php?showforum=1).

frogesque
2004-Dec-26, 01:02 PM
I can still get access.

There was a thread that Trinity was going to block everyone not registered by January 1st.

How can you register if you are bot blocked from site access? All seems a bit stupid to me.

GLP likes to think it is more important than it is. It's a forum and from the content there little better than an AOL chat room. Some of the conspiracy theories over all this are amazing. The site was sold as a commercial decision (though from what I can gather there was a lot of soul searching before hand). Now, the new comercial owners want to stamp thier authority on the site and infest users with malware into the bargain. No users = no income. RIP GLP it's probably for the best.

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 01:12 PM
I can still get access.

How can you register if you are bot blocked from site access? All seems a bit stupid to me.

GLP likes to think it is more important than it is. It's a forum and from the content there little better than an AOL chat room. Some of the conspiracy theories over all this are amazing. The site was sold as a commercial decision (though from what I can gather there was a lot of soul searching before hand). Now, the new comercial owners want to stamp thier authority on the site and infest users with malware into the bargain. No users = no income. RIP GLP it's probably for the best.
Hey, I just play there, I don't stay there. :D

I will eventually get banned, since I have no intention of paying money. :D

N C More
2004-Dec-26, 01:26 PM
No I don't think he can

So, I gather that all Webmasters can access member's private messages?, If this is true, it's just a bit too "1984" for me. Kind of negates the "private" aspect, doesn't it? I think I'll be asking people for their E-mail addys in the future. Thanks for the information it was a real eye opener for me.

frogesque
2004-Dec-26, 01:28 PM
I can't even access the home page via Yahoo or Google search, never mind the forums. Just seems very odd behavior for a commercial site that wants to spew out malware. On the other hand it's par for course thinking for Godlike.

I didn't think for a moment that you were a regular on GLP Candy - knew you had more sense than that :lol:

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 01:35 PM
No I don't think he can

So, I gather that all Webmasters can access member's private messages?, If this is true, it's just a bit too "1984" for me. Kind of negates the "private" aspect, doesn't it? I think I'll be asking people for their E-mail addys in the future. Thanks for the information it was a real eye opener for me.
Your emails can get monitored, too. For example, at work when the Manager accidently 'misplaced' the Shared Drive. On my attempt to reinstate it, I opened a 'different' Shared Drive. I was able to see everyone's email and personal information on their M: Drive (email) and U: Drive (supposedly private). I immediately thought, "I don't think I am suppose to be able to view this information." I closed it faster than I had opened it. :o

frogesque
2004-Dec-26, 01:39 PM
No I don't think he can

I don't know how it relates to phpBB boards but I do know another board where admins have access to passwords. (Their registration warns about password security) Moral - never use the same password that you use for banking or anything critical or a site hack could give you some very unpleasant surprises.

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 01:45 PM
I don't know how it relates to phpBB boards but I do know another board where admins have access to passwords. (Their registration warns about password security) Moral - never use the same password that you use for banking or anything critical or a site hack could give you some very unpleasant surprises.
The BA states he can only change passwords. He can't see them.

I trust this web site. :D

N C More
2004-Dec-26, 01:51 PM

Well, isn't this a real "cheerer upper" (thanks for the warning, frogesque)! Thank goodness I do use a different password when on bulletin boards! This whole discussion is just so "big brother"...it's sort of creepy.

N C More
2004-Dec-26, 01:57 PM
The BA states he can only change passwords. He can't see them.

I trust this web site. :D

I'm not at all worried about here, it's some of the other more "out there" places that I've been known to post at upon occassion! I'm just glad to have the information about this. This is good to know.

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 04:10 PM
No I don't think he can

Ahaa maby thats how I do it!

mickal555
2004-Dec-26, 04:11 PM
No I don't think he can

Ahaa maby thats how I could do it!

Nope same as the BA mabie Ikyoto was kidding?

Candy
2004-Dec-26, 04:32 PM
Ahaa maby thats how I could do it!

Nope same as the BA mabie Ikyoto was kidding?
I think with the computer knowledge 'we' possess, 'we' don't actually know what 'we' really can possess. I am a perfect example by finding out sensitive information at work. It's a frightening concept, but it's real.

My hobby is to become a professional hacker someday. I don't think I will ever get to that level, but it doesn't appear to be to difficult. I was only wanting to be a hacker to help others upgrade their systems against bad hackers. :evil:

At my present level of comfort, I'm sure glad I'm only naughty at home. :P

My company invited it's employees' to download their software 'for easier access to United' on my home PC. I knew this only meant, in fine print, that they would now gain access to my personal computer's information. BIG BROTHER. :o

I quickly declined.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Dec-26, 06:56 PM
FWIW:

I can look at people's profiles here. The password field comes up as blank; I cannot see what your password is. I can change it, but I cannot see it.

I have access to the BABB database. Some of it is encrypted (passwords, for example). If I really really wanted to, I could probably find some way to get your password. I might even be able to read PMs. I've never tried, and I've never looked into it (although I consider myself a programmer, database programming is something I've never learned, and it tends to confuse me somewhat). People's PMs are their business, not mine. I also try not to get involved with "personal" aspects of this board, as it might compromise my objectivity.

I might as well make a pre-emptive post here as well. It wouldn't surprise me if some GLP refugees accuse me of being behind the downfall of GLP; I have been called some very nasty things there, and lies are told about me there often enough. I will freely state that the kind of thinking done at GLP is exactly the sort of thing I am trying to stop with my own website. However, the way to stop bad speech is more speech, not less. Although I will also freely state that I will not shed a tear over the demise of another pseudoscientific uncritical website/forum, I had nothing to do with it.

Lurker
2004-Dec-26, 07:32 PM
BA... I don't think you could find anyone here who would ever doubt your integrity. You have taken this online community through some rough waters with a very even hand. I am sure that I speak for everyone when I say that it never crossed our minds that you would look at passwords or PM's between posters here.

As far as bringing about the demise of GLP, it just isn't your style. The net is filled with some pretty nasty sorts and I have to say, "Sorry, you just aren't one of 'em" :wink:

The one regret that I have concerning GLP is that there were a few good people over there. I have suggested to a few that Babbling can be a good place. If they come over here I hope that we cut them just a little slack... GLP is not the best place to learn netiquette and a few of them may be a bit rough around the edges.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Dec-26, 09:50 PM
Thanks, Lurker, I appreciate that. I was just making that point out of general necessity, not assuming that anyone here thinks that. And I expect we'll be getting new people here (just like we did over that Australian "meteor" streak image) and since the thread had veered a bit toward BABB privacy, it seemed an appropriate thing to say.

John Jones
2004-Dec-27, 02:00 AM
FWIW:

[...]
I might as well make a pre-emptive post here as well. It wouldn't surprise me if some GLP refugees accuse me of being behind the downfall of GLP; I have been called some very nasty things there, and lies are told about me there often enough. I will freely state that the kind of thinking done at GLP is exactly the sort of thing I am trying to stop with my own website. However, the way to stop bad speech is more speech, not less. Although I will also freely state that I will not shed a tear over the demise of another pseudoscientific uncritical website/forum, I had nothing to do with it.

Some anonymous coward already started a thread claiming you were behind the destruction of GLP, bu it scrolled away without attracting too much attention.

I think the prevailing conspiracy theory is that some three-letter government agency took it over and started trashing the place because it was getting too close to "The Truth." I'll never no for sure because I'm not going back.

The arbitrary nature of that kind of 'moderation' rubs me the wrong way. There are no rules up front except: "If you post something I don't like, I'll ban you with no warning. If you ask me for explanations, I'll ban you with no warning."

beskeptical
2004-Dec-27, 04:26 AM
Well I just went there and posted without a hitch. I named myself beskeptigal from BABB. The forum appeared normal. They were making much of a news report quoting an Earth science guy saying the 9.0 quake "even disturbed Earth's orbit". Of course the thread title used the word "disrupted" in place of "disturbed". Typical GLP. The Earth's orbit is reportedly disrupted, the thread title uses all CAPS and lot of !!!!s, but the fact no one has noticed their tea sloshing seems not to have mattered in their haste to panic over it. :D

Tensor
2004-Dec-27, 04:32 AM
Well I just went there and posted without a hitch. ...

I'm still getting the forbidden page.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Dec-27, 06:02 AM
Well I just went there and posted without a hitch. I named myself beskeptigal from BABB. The forum appeared normal. They were making much of a news report quoting an Earth science guy saying the 9.0 quake "even disturbed Earth's orbit". Of course the thread title used the word "disrupted" in place of "disturbed". Typical GLP. The Earth's orbit is reportedly disrupted, the thread title uses all CAPS and lot of !!!!s, but the fact no one has noticed their tea sloshing seems not to have mattered in their haste to panic over it. :D

Of Course it Did ...

Torqued the Whole Thing, a FULL Nanometre ...

I'm gonna go get my Tin-Foil Hat, now!

Maksutov
2004-Dec-27, 06:51 AM
Sometimes one doesn't have to go as far (out) as GLP to witness similar situations and reactions. Sometimes they're very close to home. (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=386476#386476)

2005-Jan-04, 10:06 AM
Most users ever online was 207 on Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:56 am
Most users ever online was 427 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:31 am [PST]

Gmann
2005-Jan-04, 02:30 PM
I just tried going in the front door to godlike.com and got refused. I also tried to jump in through an old Toseek post in Px forum and got the same thing. How can you become an esteemed member of an exclusive club if they don't even let you knock on the door? It's their loss, not mine. (not that I would intentionally subject myself to that sort of punishment in the first place)

Ut
2005-Jan-04, 02:35 PM
It definitely seems like a strange plan for what is apparently now a commercial venture.

sidmel
2005-Jan-04, 03:45 PM
Just a side note to those wondering about their passwords on chat forums. Having set up a number of chat rooms for clients, passwords may or may not be available to the normal administrator depending on how the chat program was designed. I believe phpBB uses a MySQL data base to store information and the passwords are encrypted. The password function in MySQL has the ability to be either set up as text delimited or encrypted, depending on the programmer’s whim. Most all chat programs I’ve seen are encrypted, but I’ve ran across a couple low level hacked to together ones where the passwords are visible. Going a bit further, if the admin has superadmin or root privileges and knows his/her way around a MySQL or SQL database they might still be able to extract an encrypted password. So, as other people have mentioned, never ever use a password similar to what you use for your financial transactions.

Lance
2005-Jan-04, 04:08 PM
For phpBB at least, the passwords are stored in the database as an MD5 Hash, not encrypted.

Basically, when you create your password the first time it is MD5 hashed and the result is stored in the database. When you log in again, your password is MD5 hashed and the result is compared. If equal, you're in.

Using this method, phpBB and the database never actually have to know what your password is. Just the result of your password and the MD5 hash. And since it is a hash and not an encryption, it is one way only. Of course there is always the "brute force" attack, but just having your hashed password will not give someome the ability to easily determine your original password.

YMMV

Kristophe
2005-Apr-21, 07:06 PM
Interesting thing just happened to me that's somewhat related to this thread, so...

Somehow, I managed to get the MySearch bar installed again. This was a surprise to me, since I haven't used IE in months until today. Curious to figure out what I did to get it, I went to its home page, which of course spawned countless popup windows.

Of course, MySearch is a lop.com product. Even knowing this, I was completely caught off guard when one of these popups turned out to be the GLP forum. I'm suddenly terribly concerned for the mental health of the thousands upon thousands of people who are plagued by lop.com software. :-?

SciFi Chick
2005-Apr-21, 11:08 PM
No I don't think he can

No. Candy is mistaken. Ikyoto could do a dump of everything and muddle through garbage and possibly see something, but he cannot go in and look at people's PMs and he wouldn't if he could.

dvb
2005-Apr-22, 12:21 AM
Most users ever online was 207 on Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:56 am
Most users ever online was 427 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:31 am [PST]

Most users ever online was 798 on Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:18 pm [EST]

What's with all the inconsistency? Perhaps a bug in phpBB?

EDIT: btw, what happened on Feb 18th to be of such significance?

Lycus
2005-Apr-22, 12:28 AM
Check the time stamp on that post, dvb. :)

Captain Kidd
2005-Apr-22, 12:29 AM
EDIT: btw, what happened on Feb 18th to be of such significance?

We were farked (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19767).

dvb
2005-Apr-22, 12:46 AM
Check the time stamp on that post, dvb. :)

Oh gee, I had no idea how old this thread was. Thought it was just posted today.

Ikyoto
2005-Apr-22, 01:28 AM
No I don't think he can

Here's how it works:

You send a PM to someone. It gets a LONG line of code generated by the php script to allow only the receiver to see it.

They log in and read their message.

For me to read them I would have to go through EVERY message and TRY to understand who is talking to who... Why becasue the NAMES of who sends them and who gets them are NOT recorded. The best way to explain it is taking a set of encyclopedias and scrabling every volume. THNE at random points put in sentences that DO make secne but are compteley out of order.

THAT is what I'd have to go through to read the PM's. It would take more time that trying to decipher compiled code written in another language. It CAN be done but the amount of work it would take would be a full time job.

Before insinuating I'm not trustworthy why not stop and think first? I don't let people say crap about BABB without reminding them that it's Phil's site and he can run it the way he pleases.

Candy, you stopped posting at FWIS becasue I don't want you hijacking threads and trying to be the center of attention there. Fine - your choice. But tryig to make me look unethical is soemthing I won't stand for. I haven't posted here for MONTHS and haven't had a need to, but this really crosses the line.

N C More
2005-Apr-22, 01:41 AM
No I don't think he can

No. Candy is mistaken. Ikyoto could do a dump of everything and muddle through garbage and possibly see something, but he cannot go in and look at people's PMs and he wouldn't if he could.

Just to clear up my statement; I wasn't saying that I suspected any Webmaster in particular or any site in particular. My concern was voiced in a general manner but now I see that I was concerned over nothing.

mickal555
2005-Apr-22, 03:03 AM
Posted on FWIS:

Ididn't know that Mickal had a board until I read that. I am a little alarmed that he seems to have tried in the course of that thread to see if he could read PMs. I guess I won't join up there.

Ok- First yes I do have a forum(www.scotsons-shack.com/Forum.htm) and I was woundering how people could look at PM's. I have no intension of reading PM's, and I never asked Iky for instuctions, and I never tried either. I was just woundering how the board(phpbb) worked- I never had any real intension of looking at people's privite information. I dunno if it's possible- but I don't care much. I'm sorry if it came across that I was tring to view PM's.

I was actully really worried about passwords as I use the same one for eveything(I easly forget passwords- got me into alot of trouble with paypal recently(I forgot and acedently locked the account) and somone told me it's easy to find out so I started changing them. I now have about 6 different ones. I found out a bit later that passwords are impossible to unencript. So now I've started keeping the same one.

I have the same view as the BA and Iky on the matter and that is that I wouldnever try to view personal information.