PDA

View Full Version : Pets meeting babies for the first time (video).

Buttercup
2014-Jun-04, 03:12 PM
http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2014/06/dogs-and-cats-meeting-babies-for-the-first-time-compilation/

Tiny humans! Who knew! ;)

Hlafordlaes
2014-Jun-04, 04:10 PM
Hey, Buttercup! Hadn't been seeing any posts of yours since my recent return to activity. Glad to know you're still around, and thanks for that video! Helped with an otherwise rough day.

Buttercup
2014-Jun-04, 04:18 PM
Hey, Buttercup! Hadn't been seeing any posts of yours since my recent return to activity. Glad to know you're still around, and thanks for that video! Helped with an otherwise rough day.

Thank you, and I'm glad it brightened your day. :)

JohnD
2014-Jun-05, 08:48 PM
Interesting, as we have a new, first, grandchild.
In the video, the animals were undoubtedly interested in the baby, but note their anxiety. The cats' tails were down, they crouched; the dogs looked repeatedly from baby to owner for reassurance, and were not wagging tails.
Our cats' response has been of anxiety. One trys to take over the situation by occupying baby's car seat, the other hides in a carrier bag, and after baby's gone, demands petting and reassurance.

A family with pets and new baby should familiarise both together, but the animal will be more needy than the baby!
John

Buttercup
2014-Jun-05, 09:58 PM
Yes, you're right - anxiety.

Just now recalling Keiko's (a dog) reaction to my nephew; especially after he began crawling. Ears and tail down, uneasy - and trying to keep away from him. :lol: Including being all bug-eyed with panic when nephew tried squeezing his big head in behind the sofa, where she was hiding. :lol:

publiusr
2014-Jun-06, 10:31 PM
"what do you think about it, buddy..is that good or is that bad? Is that your buddy? Is that your buddy is?"

Ah, the fond memory of me being buried by the family Rottweiler...

JohnD
2014-Jun-07, 11:38 AM
Can't be replacement anxiety - an animal can't be thinking that this new animal will mean they will be in the street.
Just the novelty?

In contrast, said grandson has a cat at home, who is completely happy about his arival, and will curl up next to him, as he would the parents.
I presume that animals get used to the new animal, at least I hope they do!
John

Moose
2014-Jun-07, 12:07 PM
Can't be replacement anxiety - an animal can't be thinking that this new animal will mean they will be in the street.

Not sure the anxiety is that specific. I suspect it's a matter of "strange smell, what the heck is _that_, can it hurt me?"

In contrast, said grandson has a cat at home, who is completely happy about his arival, and will curl up next to him, as he would the parents.
I presume that animals get used to the new animal, at least I hope they do!

Seems to vary among cats. My old feral had been very anxious around kids until she got to know them. When my cousin's family came to stay with us while their house was being built, the feral was quite comfortable around my 4yo cousin. The feral, however, would not stay in the same room as her younger brother, who had figured out crawling.

My current pair have no problem with babies or toddlers, but any stranger will cause them to hide for a while until they've check things out.