PDA

View Full Version : High School Reunion

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Jun-07, 12:07 AM
My 20 th high school reunion is coming up and I really do not think I should go. There are some people I would like to see again but there are others that I really do not want to see. And I was real jerk to one person in my last year in high school plus there are some people who would enjoy my failure in the profession I wanted. So I really don't know if I should go or not.

redshifter
2014-Jun-07, 12:16 AM
I went to my 20th after going back and forth about if I really wanted to or not. In the end I was glad I did even though I did not see a lot of folks I had hoped to see. Although, I didn't have the issue of people there I did not want to see, or people who I mistreated in high school. Still, perhaps you should look at this as an opportunity to apologize to the person you were a jerk to? As far as others who would enjoy your 'failure', who cares about them? You can just ignore them. Or, you never know what might happen if you actually talked to them. 20 yrs. is a long time, maybe it's all water under the bridge by now?

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Jun-07, 12:29 AM
I already apologized and we were friends for a couple of years afterwards but haven't heard from them in years.

Hornblower
2014-Jun-07, 12:51 AM
When I went to reunions decades after finishing high school, I was pleasantly surprised to find that some classmates who had been bullies in their youth had changed for the better, becoming good citizens and pleasant company at the event.

redshifter
2014-Jun-07, 12:56 AM
I already apologized and we were friends for a couple of years afterwards but haven't heard from them in years.

Well, isn't that one purpose of a reunion? To reconnect and catch up?

Buttercup
2014-Jun-07, 03:26 AM
Can't.

My parents home-schooled us after I finished 8th grade. Our small town never forgave what they viewed as rejection. So I am NEVER invited. Not that I should be, of course.

Good luck, if you decide to go. I've seldom heard positive "reviews" from anyone.

Noclevername
2014-Jun-07, 04:30 AM
Unless high school was an overall positive experience for you, I would not go.

For me, middle and high school were the lowest points in my life.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-07, 05:14 AM
Unless high school was an overall positive experience for you, I would not go.

For me, middle and high school were the lowest points in my life.

That's kind of the way it was for me as well. Nobody there I'd have much interest in seeing.

On the other hand, some people seem to look back on high school as the best time of their lives. That's rather sad.

Gillianren
2014-Jun-07, 06:53 AM
My daughter was so relieved when I told her that it hadn't been the best time of mine and that there was no reason to assume it would be for her, either. In fact, I got voted most likely to skip my high school reunion, and they haven't been wrong yet.

geonuc
2014-Jun-07, 08:03 AM
My 20 th high school reunion is coming up and I really do not think I should go. ...

You answered your question already. However, you haven't mentioned whether going to the reunion would involve travel. If not, you can always pop in, say hi to those you remember fondly, and then leave if it gets too heavy.

swampyankee
2014-Jun-07, 09:27 AM
You answered your question already. However, you haven't mentioned whether going to the reunion would involve travel. If not, you can always pop in, say hi to those you remember fondly, and then leave if it gets too heavy.

Usually, high school reunions require buying tickets in advance, and the tickets aren't cheap. "Just popping in" isn't an option.

Moose
2014-Jun-07, 10:53 AM
There are some people I would like to see again but there are others that I really do not want to see.

I did go to my 10th reunion. Actually, I felt much like you did and decided to not go, even though I lived in town, so there was no travel involved. But my HS best friends were there and they called me at home to twist my arm. It turns out that none of the people I didn't want to see actually went, and the folks who were there were okay, much improved, and/or not even slightly judgmental about how original career choices tend to turn out in the Maritimes. They'd all been there and done that too.

Noclevername
2014-Jun-07, 12:02 PM
TOS, it doesn't take a reunion to contact old friends. I know several people, including family members, who have reached out online and discovered some old classmates via social media and the like. It was surprising to find out how many of my sister's school friends were available through a few simple degrees of Friending or searches, let alone how many of them still kept in contact with each other and shared that information with her.

I got a startling (if indirect) apology from one of my old high school bullies, whom my sister had found via her friends. He was deeply ashamed of his old behavior to me and others, to the point where he, now a gym teacher, founded and now runs an anti-bullying/anti-hazing campaign at his school. I find that very hopeful; maybe his actions now will help some kids avoid what I went through then.

I know I advised against going, but if you do go to the reunion, you can view it primarily as a way to get contact information from the people you do want to talk to again.

And maybe to resolve some issues with the person you say you were a "jerk" to. I know from personal experience that such early bad experiences can be scarring, and that having a former "jerk" express a sincere regret for the way they treated me and try to make amends, even years after the fact, can help.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-07, 02:55 PM
The whole family went to my Dad's 50th high school reunion. He went to a tiny school, which no longer exists, in a tiny town, which barely exists. They have a reunion every year for every class that ever graduated from there. Two of my Dad's brothers, one older and one younger, graduated in the same class. I managed to miss the big party by coming down with strep throat but my wife says it was very nice. That's the closest I've ever come to attending a reunion.

After recovering from the throat, I managed to break my foot a few days later on the same trip!

DonM435
2014-Jun-07, 03:03 PM
I know that if I ever went to one, the still-living folks would be really old.

Unlike me, of course. ;)

Gillianren
2014-Jun-07, 03:30 PM
Usually, high school reunions require buying tickets in advance, and the tickets aren't cheap. "Just popping in" isn't an option.

My school's sixteenth reunion (no, I don't know why we had one) was a picnic. No tickets involved.

Torsten
2014-Jun-07, 03:45 PM
I attended the 10th, 20th, and 30th reunions of my HS class and enjoyed each one. There were people who could have attended and chose not to, and I thought they missed out on a good time. You might be surprised by who, upon seeing you again, wants to strike up a conversation and what you can learn about others.

dockeen
2014-Jun-07, 03:53 PM
I have been tempted to go a time or two over the last 36 years, but the people who knew me are scattered to the winds, and view their high school experience like I do, as something we survived. My temptation is a negative ions then, to show the teachers that thought of me as a loser that they -might- have been wrong.

Noclevername
2014-Jun-07, 06:18 PM
My school's sixteenth reunion (no, I don't know why we had one)

Base 4 math? Expect a 64 year reunion someday.

Senior Service
2014-Jun-08, 07:29 AM
You should go. Don't worry about any professional failure, they already know about that so front up.

I would like to go to one but I left school at 16, travelled for 30 years and now live nowhere near my hometown and have no relatives there that I speak to. I suspect the old building has gone though I think the school is still going.

geonuc
2014-Jun-08, 09:05 AM

It may well be an option and my advice did not preclude buying a ticket in advance.

Arneb
2014-Jun-08, 08:35 PM
We do our reunions in 5 year intervals. I was bored by the first meeting, disgusted by the second, and, accordingly, deliberately missed the third. By the fourth, I noted with pleasure, even the more unpleasant types had gained some stability, had become sufficiently self-reliant to spare the cheap shots and were generally pleasant company. Some actually were a lot more interesting people than I had thought before, to my shame. my impression was reinforced by the fifth meeting a year ago. Generally, I value the experience, and I'll got for it if I am alive by the time no. 6 comes around.

TheOncomingStorm, I would not normally force my own memories or my advice on you (being familiar with the traumata I suffered but knowing nothing about yours), but since you asked: I tend to recommend going (although, of course, I voted "beer") because a) these people were once very important in your life under a totally artificial, forced situation. Meeting them in a relaxed, positive atmosphere, over food and beer, might help to shrink the unpleasant memories to a more palatable size: Nice enough humans who sprape by just as everyone else. You think you are the only one there with a failure on your back? Not by a long shot. b) People can surprise pleasantly here and there - you might actually learn a different perspective on your own sufferings, an maybe that's a good thing. So you might gain that while c) all you have to lose is one evening over bad food, stale beer and lousy company. You can afford that, can't you?

Noclevername
2014-Jun-08, 08:51 PM
By the fourth, I noted with pleasure, even the more unpleasant types had gained some stability, had become sufficiently self-reliant to spare the cheap shots and were generally pleasant company. Some actually were a lot more interesting people than I had thought before, to my shame.

I don't see any reason for shame. If these people were being unpleasant to you, then why should you feel obligated to take an interest in them or have positive opinions of them, especially if it took two decades for them to stop the unpleasant behavior?

dockeen
2014-Jun-08, 09:13 PM
Out of curiosity, how far from your current home is your high school?

I live about 1200 miles from Wappinger's Falls, so one way or another, it is non-trivial for me to go.

Solfe
2014-Jun-09, 02:08 AM
I opted out of my 10th, 15th and 20th reunion. After the last one, I found that I had about 30 or so friend requests on Facebook the next day. I apparently played the role of lovable nerd in high school (but the reality of the situations was really different).

I'm not going to miss 25 next year.

NEOWatcher
2014-Jun-09, 01:24 PM
My problem is that I had far more friends in the next class than my own class.
The 20th was supposed to be a combined reunion (20th for both being slid between the 20th and 19th year). Unfortunately, I mixed up the dates and missed it.

But; later I thought that if they had to combine reunions for two classes, each having 600 students, then the representation would be rather small.

DonM435
2014-Jun-09, 02:15 PM
My school's sixteenth reunion (no, I don't know why we had one) was a picnic. No tickets involved.

Actually, it would make sense to hold these at four-year intervals rather than five. It would permit a former student to hit his eighth-grade, high school and college class reunions the same year in many cases. (E.g., class of '75, '79 and '83 respectively.)

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-09, 03:58 PM
Actually, it would make sense to hold these at four-year intervals rather than five. It would permit a former student to hit his eighth-grade, high school and college class reunions the same year in many cases. (E.g., class of '75, '79 and '83 respectively.)

Eighth grade reunions? Seriously? That's as bad as the darn kindergarten and elementary school graduations, complete with cap and gown, that are so popular. Anyhow, eighth wouldn't have worked for me as my school district had Jr. High as grades 7-9 and High School 10-12.

DonM435
2014-Jun-09, 04:23 PM
Yeah, Chicago had grades 1-8 ("grade school" or "grammar school") distinct from "high school." I didn't encounter the "middle school" and "junior high" concepts until later and elsewhere.

Although most kids from a neighborhood tended to stay together, there was enough dispersion that getting together again with the Grade 8 people might be desirable.

NEOWatcher
2014-Jun-09, 05:26 PM
... as my school district had Jr. High as grades 7-9 and High School 10-12.
Same here, but our 9th grade classes were part of the high school curriculum needed for graduation (essentially leaving high school as a 4 year program) I never really understood why they split it like that.

Since then, they have gone to the middle school concept, but now it's 5th through 7th, and I don't know what constitutes a high school program now.

DonM435
2014-Jun-09, 06:13 PM
Long ago, some adult told me that the strategy in moving kids seamlessly from 8th to 9th grade was to avoid the suggestion that they'd reached a significant goal (which would be suggested by an 8th grade graduation ceremony) and thus could drop out at this point if the going got rough. Rather, they'd be in high school before they realized it, and so just might stay awhile.

That sounded goofy to me (as if 13-year-olds would be making career choices irrespective of parental wishes), but then again, we were well-behaved kids. Who knows what went on in the larger world out there, and what the adminsitrators had in mind?

Arneb
2014-Jun-09, 07:09 PM
I don't see any reason for shame. If these people were being unpleasant to you, then why should you feel obligated to take an interest in them or have positive opinions of them, especially if it took two decades for them to stop the unpleasant behavior?

I didn't mean those who were outright mean with me. On the contrary, I got the feeling that I had been overly dismissive of them, thus missing the opportunity to connect to someone more interesting than I had previously thought.

dockeen
2014-Jun-09, 08:01 PM
Same here, but our 9th grade classes were part of the high school curriculum needed for graduation (essentially leaving high school as a 4 year program) I never really understood why they split it like that.

Since then, they have gone to the middle school concept, but now it's 5th through 7th, and I don't know what constitutes a high school program now.

the places I have seen the 9th grade moved out have tended to be for high school overcrowding. My high school split the difference, they had the 9th grade start 4 periods later than the rest of the grades.

NEOWatcher
2014-Jun-09, 08:09 PM
the places I have seen the 9th grade moved out have tended to be for high school overcrowding...
We were overcrowded at one point, but instead of shuffling grades around, they built a new school (which closed 2 years after it opened :rolleyes:). That helped split apart some of the friendships at the Jr High level.

Although; at one point they did shuffle kids around. To save heat one winter, they closed half the Jr. High schools and ran the rest in two seperate shifts.

Noclevername
2014-Jun-09, 08:34 PM
I didn't mean those who were outright mean with me. On the contrary, I got the feeling that I had been overly dismissive of them, thus missing the opportunity to connect to someone more interesting than I had previously thought.

Ah. Sorry I misread your meaning.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-09, 11:27 PM
I think that 1-8 Elementary followed by 9-12 High School was the norm for most of the United States until after WWII. At the beginning of the 20th century, eighth grade was the usual maximum for compulsory attendance, and the usual maximum for working class people. Only the better-off kids went to high school, while the poorer ones went to work. The Baby Boom changed that, causing the elementary schools to become overcrowded, a problem solved by creating Jr Highs and Middle Schools. My impression is that Jr High is usually 7-9 while Middle School is 6-8; but it's far from universal. I recall seeing a district somewhere that had Middle School 6-7 as well as Junior High 8-9. It's driven to a large extent by number of kids versus available facilities.

Noclevername
2014-Jun-10, 10:35 AM
My family moved several times while I was of school age, so I experienced different systems, public and private, in a number of places (all East Coast). The number of grades per school level varied from state to state and sometimes from school to school.

DonM435
2014-Jun-10, 01:04 PM
I switched from a rigorous high school to an easier one (in my opinion), and as a result ended up taking most of my courses with kids one year ahead of me. (Until my senior year, when they vanished!)

In college I deferred selecting a major subject and took the general stuff first. This resulted in my taking most classes with kids a year behind me. (I left them behind when I finished.)

Therefore, I'd gain the most from a different reunion in each cases, as I'd be seeing more familiar people.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Jun-10, 02:03 PM
My family moved several times while I was of school age, so I experienced different systems, public and private, in a number of places (all East Coast). The number of grades per school level varied from state to state and sometimes from school to school.

In my town there are two elementary schools and on went to grade 5 and the other to grade 6. Then everyone was merged into one middle school and then to high school at grade 9.

PetersCreek
2014-Jun-10, 04:59 PM
I voted for beer. I attended more than one high school and earned my GED from another (now closed) after joining the military at the end of my junior year. There are people I'd like to see again and at this point in my life, I'm not worried about high school bullies. I just don't have much of a connection to the whole high school graduating class scene. While they were in caps and gowns, I was learning how to maintain fighters.

Noclevername
2014-Jun-10, 09:58 PM
While they were in caps and gowns, I was learning how to maintain fighters.

You have to keep up their confidence and make sure they don't neglect their training, especially after a loss: "Eye of the tiger, Rocky! Eye of the tiger!" ...Or was that not the kind of fighter you meant?

PetersCreek
2014-Jun-10, 10:59 PM
You have to keep up their confidence and make sure they don't neglect their training, especially after a loss: "Eye of the tiger, Rocky! Eye of the tiger!" ...Or was that not the kind of fighter you meant?

When I wrote that, I just knew I was going to get a TiC comment and you didn't let me down...although I didn't see the Rocky reference coming. :clap:

To be more specific: at the time I would have graduated the last high school I attended...which would have occurred in 1979...I was maintaining the AN/AAS-35 Pave Penny sensor system installed on the A-7D Corsair II, while assigned to the 23rd Tactical Fighter Wing ("Flying Tigers") at England AFB, Louisiana. The aircraft have long been mothballed, the base was closed years ago, and I'm not feeling so spry myself.

NEOWatcher
2014-Jun-11, 12:59 PM
Gee, that's two seperate Rocky references yesterday.
I'm beginning to wonder if Noclevername and Gillian have something going on.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-11, 02:38 PM
Rocky? And Bullwinkle?

Gillianren
2014-Jun-11, 03:47 PM
Gee, that's two seperate Rocky references yesterday.
I'm beginning to wonder if Noclevername and Gillian have something going on.

His made me remember that I'd meant to get second opinions about mine.

blueshift
2014-Jun-15, 05:32 PM
I went to one (the 20th) and never went again. A lot of people did grow up but going there didn't help as much as watching my own son grow up with all his peers. I could see personalities amongst them that I wouldn't have liked when I was young but became aware of what molded them that way. They became more of a victim who merely passed on to others their frustrations, living in a world of closed ended statements, carrying accusations or picking up a fight or argument where it was left off long ago. Being a letter carrier, parent and a bus driver allowed me to deal with it.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Aug-02, 04:43 PM
Actually went had a good time. Met some old friend and most didn't even know I have been home for over a decade.

I don't know if this was a good idea or not I posted a note on the facebook page that read. "I just don't want any arguments. I know some you now about the depression because you have come and asked how am I feeling. There rumours of me getting back my academic career because I have written stuff like this" And gave them a link to my blog.
Some of that I was wrong about.

Paul Beardsley
2014-Aug-02, 05:48 PM
Interesting.

I don't know if we even have school reunions in England but I wouldn't even consider going. On FaceBook I got back in touch with a small handful of school friends. Most of us left in 1980, give or take a year depending on whether we did sixth form. I have said that I am happy to chat, meet up, have beer and so on, but I do not want to reminisce about anything pre-1980.

I have even gone so far as to retcon some of my pre-1980 life. For instance, I was completely unaware of the post-punk band Joy Division until 1980, but am attempting to insert false memories of following them avidly from their beginning in 1977. This is not so much to deceive anyone as to overwrite my actual memories of that period.

Hmm, maybe I could retcon 2013 out of existence while I am at it.

My apologies, this thread isn't about me.

grapes
2014-Aug-02, 07:36 PM
This is not so much to deceive anyone as to overwrite my actual memories of that period.

Hmm, maybe I could retcon 2013 out of existence while I am at it.

My apologies, this thread isn't about me.
I think the seventies are receiving more and more of that treatment! The decade (in the USAn time zones) that started with Altamont and ended with the hostage crisis.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Aug-27, 06:23 PM
Here is the thing the girl that I was a jerk too wanted to go out with me and I think wanted to marry me. But by the time I met her I was already going down the path of darkside you can say. A few days after the reunion I thought I heard my mother and here talking over the phone and have not heard a thing since. Tried to contact the girl over facebook but no response and I don.t even know where she lives. this driving me crazy.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Aug-30, 02:50 PM
I think the obsessive side went a little to far, now I have been blocked rom someone facebook page. All I posted under a great image of here what a moron I was. Ok a sent a couple o messages saying how happy I was for her.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Sep-10, 06:09 PM
Her facebook profile is down completely. I HOPE it is because of computer problems but I did something little rash and called a mutual classmate of ours and does not now a thing although she would like to make a play date with their daughters because they got along at a pool party during the reunion.
got one computer running even if I a not allowed to use it.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Sep-11, 08:29 AM
If she blocked you it will look like her page is gone.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Sep-20, 10:52 PM
I got someone else to look for it was not visible. Oh if I had a TARDIS of my own I could go back and prevent me from sitting in front her in English class all those years ago and none this would of mattered to me.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Sep-21, 03:43 AM
I think she is lurking here that is why I keep going on in this thread. But the major problem between the two of us was basically I am very private person and there were a lot of people saying all kinds of stuff about me. Like on there were people calling me an idiot for this and that. There were people calling me gay and worse and even worse about my family. Also there was a group trying to stop us from dating because I was overweight and I wasn't one of the jocks and some as attractive as her needed to go out with them.

Gillianren
2014-Sep-21, 04:48 AM
. . . And you're being kind of obsessive.

Noclevername
2014-Sep-21, 05:22 AM
I think she is lurking here that is why I keep going on in this thread. But the major problem between the two of us was basically I am very private person and there were a lot of people saying all kinds of stuff about me. Like on there were people calling me an idiot for this and that. There were people calling me gay and worse and even worse about my family. Also there was a group trying to stop us from dating because I was overweight and I wasn't one of the jocks and some as attractive as her needed to go out with them.

From what you describe, it seems like the woman herself is neither the cause of, nor the cure for, your attitude. She's become a symbol to you, not a person. Maybe you should seek out some therapy, deal with the roots of the problem rather than the leaf.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Sep-30, 05:41 PM
She symbolizes a lot of guilt and anger that can be boiled down to one day. Every morning before math class her and her friend would start asking me go to an event at the end of the year and honestly I had no clue what is all about. So one day I said "I don't want to go out with you because I want concentrate on getting my marks better so I can go study astronomy." they laughed. Later that day the biology teacher had a clip from Sagan on and then went to go about how the only way Sagan could of become an astronomer was that he was born in New York or some large city like how Don Sweeney (hockey player)only can get to the NHL was to move o Saint John to get noticed because astronomy and hockey work the same way. I knew I hurt her but the idiot who went the teacher that stupid reason did a lot more damage.
Also I just don't want to hurt her anymore.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Oct-04, 09:40 PM
I will probably taking a break from the internet for a while. Mainly because of this issue, I to stabilize mentally and all my accounts have some connection to her now.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Oct-07, 06:08 PM
It is just how my mind is wired. I will eventually find something else or someone else obsess about.(I know short vacation b I just nuts.)

Noclevername
2014-Oct-07, 09:45 PM
It is just how my mind is wired. I will eventually find something else or someone else obsess about.(I know short vacation b I just nuts.)

Do you think you'd like to know what it's like to not have obsessions for a while?

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Oct-08, 01:58 PM
No my brain wouldn't know how to cope.

Noclevername
2014-Oct-08, 04:16 PM
No my brain wouldn't know how to cope.

Well, that's one of the main things you learn from a good therapist.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Oct-19, 03:04 PM
The other night while cleaning out some old junk boxes I found a picture she made me take of her at her workplace. I think I should just burn soon.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Oct-30, 04:12 PM
Over the years I thought there might be chance of pursuing an astronomy career again but I think I will finally give it up. The reason I held on so long is because I thought I was wronged by some of my fellow students at the time but it is time to give up.

Also the real reason me and the woman mentioned so much in this thread did go out was in grade 11 she thought it would be fun to put in dress for a skit English class after that I just could not trust her anymore.

OnePlus
2014-Oct-30, 05:24 PM
When I went to reunions decades after finishing high school, I was pleasantly surprised to find that some classmates who had been bullies in their youth had changed for the better, becoming good citizens and pleasant company at the event.

I would have found that annoying. I would want them to be every bit as awful as they were, and also living completely miserable lives.

That's kind of the way it was for me as well. Nobody there I'd have much interest in seeing.

On the other hand, some people seem to look back on high school as the best time of their lives. That's rather sad.

I'd have to put high school as quite a low point in my life, with the university being much better. However, decades later, I still keep up with a number of people I knew during high school (not all of whom were in high school with me), but have no contact with anyone I knew at the uni. Zero.

I haven't been to any high school reunions, nor to any university reunions, and I have quite a few degrees from the latter.

TJMac
2014-Nov-02, 02:43 PM
I attended my 20 year reunion. Small school, small class, and I only went because a buddy of mine specifically went out of his way to invite me.

It was close to what I expected. Oddly, we were all 20 years older, :rofl: and it was a decent experience. Everyone had a life story, and mostly they were boring. Mine was no exception. One didn't make it because he was incarcerated, one didn't show because allegedly, "none of us cared about her then, and she didnt want us to see her now anyway." The third person who didn't make it wrote a long letter. To put it in context, this was the goofiest guy in our class. He fit into no niche, except maybe the weird one. No good at sports, no good in class, just a kind of harmless oddball. We got along ok, but were not really friends.

His story? He joined the Army a couple years after graduation. Ended up in tanks. Got stationed in Africa. He was in the first Desert Storm. Said it was like a video game, they rolled through desert and took zero casualties, while inflicting more than a little damage. He had been all over the world, seen some cool stuff, met some interesting people. We read his letter, and then basically said, "Well, he wins.

By accident, learned that our senior year, one of my kind of friends had an affair with the English teacher/Librarian. Which explained some odd things I remember from my senior year.

After, the friend that had invited me, took me to the local biker bar he hung out at. We drank a little, told some lies, got asked by a couple of women where the party was. I thought it was a pickup line, but no, there actually was a biker party. We ended up there, drank a bunch of free beer, ogled lasses in partial to complete state of undress, and listened to a really bad local band play very very loud.

The reunion wasn't bad, but there has been no attempt to have another one.

TJ

Githyanki
2014-Nov-02, 10:24 PM
My 20th reunion was great; I sneaked into the event (what type of person would I be if I could not figure that out?) and since I still look like and have the body of someone in their 20s, I made many questions about did I wander into an AARP event etc. I work and volunteer with a lot of college-age people and seeing people my age makes me realize how much time has gone by. Everyone is old.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Nov-03, 05:36 PM
My last year of high school was bit of a mix bag. A raised most of my marks up but because of a physical and an emotional issue I couldn't get with the nicest girl that ever lived.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-01, 02:51 AM
I guess it would of been better if I did not of gone. Now someone because of my reactions is leaving facebook but so am I. All I wanted was to be friends.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-01, 04:45 AM
It is not like there was a chance the relationship was going to last back then. There was one group calling me an idiot, another calling me arrogant, one person calling me both, family members who wanted me married off so there was someone looking out for me, and one person who kept trying to get us together and no she no longer a friend also. nuts.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-02, 02:03 AM
The real problem I an having is that I have too much time on my hand.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-03, 02:40 AM
Over the last few months a have been having thoughts how my life wold of been different if I had gone out with her and thinking there was a chance this cold happen. I was wrong and alos left few private messages I should not of.

Gillianren
2015-Feb-03, 05:29 PM
I think you need to talk to a professional about learning to let go. This isn't healthy.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-03, 09:23 PM
Recently I have been starting to look for work in other places and looking into online dating. Part of reason it is hard to move on is that there are plenty of reminders all over place in this small town and people to remind you too.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-03, 10:14 PM
Knowing my luck she is probably helping someone trying to help find a job and girlfriend and I screwed it up if she has been calling my mother.

Noclevername
2015-Feb-03, 10:23 PM
Knowing my luck she is probably helping someone trying to help find a job and girlfriend and I screwed it up if she has been calling my mother.

Dude, you need to get over her. Get help. Seriously, get help.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-06, 08:03 AM
and now for something completely different

http://youtu.be/WoaktW-Lu38

Noclevername
2015-Feb-06, 10:57 AM
and now for something completely different

http://youtu.be/WoaktW-Lu38

Any hint as to what we'd be clicking on?

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-06, 02:45 PM
Noclevername I thought you knew Monty and brian all their lifes, look on the bright side of life.

Noclevername
2015-Feb-06, 05:26 PM
Noclevername I thought you knew Monty and brian all their lifes, look on the bright side of life.

Oooooookay, but could you please tell us what the link you gave us links to?

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-06, 05:46 PM
It is a music video from the life of brian, just thought some people needed a comic break.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-10, 11:37 AM
The thing is they are people in the area that are still trying to prove that they are smarter because they learned how tie their shoes before somebody else in elementary school, some still work there. So to quiet them down for a hours I posted a link to my blog, which I forgot there are clues that someone can figure here. There were a lot of hits on my blog.A couple of days later while I was passing thru the living rom I heard my mother on the phone,"...did you find someone,... 2 girls and a son" then I check facebook and of course it was her. After a couple weeks later asked her over facebook and no comment that is what dove me nuts. Either tell me one way or the other hate it when people don't respond because you can't tell one way or the other. Unfortunately over the months my mind drifted where it shouldn't and sent here a couple of messages I should not of and now I can't talk to her at all. Another area my mind drifted was that maybe she find out whole truth that happened between us and the healing would begin or finish and maybe some others would let some things go.

Noclevername
2015-Feb-10, 02:08 PM
YOU need to let some things go, too, if you expect healing to begin.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Feb-10, 08:32 PM
I would like the constant hearing arrogant so and so being uttered behind my back, being called an idiot , or someone trying to tell me they know me better than myself, I would love to let those things go. I would like to have someone to share the rest of my life with and no not with her because I know that ship sailed a long time ago. I would like to have friends other te on the internet again too.

Noclevername
2015-Feb-10, 09:36 PM
I would like the constant hearing arrogant so and so being uttered behind my back, being called an idiot , or someone trying to tell me they know me better than myself, I would love to let those things go. I would like to have someone to share the rest of my life with and no not with her because I know that ship sailed a long time ago. I would like to have friends other te on the internet again too.

Good therapy will help you deal with those things.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Mar-02, 11:25 PM
If you have not been around many people or a while never hug a beautiful married woman you've had a history with.

Hypmotoad
2015-Mar-03, 12:02 AM
My dad recently contacted an old high school friend and learned that these days the reunions come every 6 months. My dad is 84 years old and I suspect such a reunion would take place over a 2-top at the local Denny's in West Virginia.