PDA

View Full Version : FIFA Soccer Worldcup 2014

slang
2014-Jun-13, 09:28 PM
Four years ago the worldcup thread was quite active, let's see how it goes this time.

So, it's started again, the worldcup (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/) in Brazil. Third game of the championship: a rematch of the 2010 Final, Spain vs The Netherlands (Spain won, and are current world champions). I'll just say I'm quite happy right now. :clap:

kevin1981
2014-Jun-14, 04:18 PM
That Robin van Persie header was a quality goal ! I am from England so i am hoping for a win tonight against Italy but i think it will be a close game. I fancy Brazil to win it. I think the way they keep the ball and press on their opponents is great to watch, they are a very classy team. But we will see.. !

Glom
2014-Jun-14, 10:05 PM
So, my Italian colleagues, it has come to this.

Cougar
2014-Jun-14, 10:35 PM
An old buddy of mine DROVE to Brazil from San Francisco. Kind of crazy about soccer... and adventure. Last World Cup, he drove from Germany or thereabouts all the way across Africa to South Africa. Crazy! We both lived in Kenya for some years (him several more than me) many moons ago.

slang
2014-Jun-15, 01:06 AM
Costa Rica took the Unofficial Football World Cup (http://www.ufwc.co.uk/) title away from Uruguay. A different way of looking at who is the world champion: whoever beats the current world champion becomes the new world champion, regardless of whether it is at a world cup tournament or not.

Paul Beardsley
2014-Jun-15, 02:03 AM
Yesterday I posted on facebook,

"Dear [two Italian ladies]
Please don't unfriend me when England beats Italy tonight.
Love
Paul xxx"

I'm feeling a bit foolish now!

kevin1981
2014-Jun-16, 08:59 PM
Hehe As Homer would say, "Doh" !

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-16, 10:59 PM
We had a power failure this afternoon. My wife, who knows nothing about football, was irate! Very concerned that she wouldn't be able to watch USA vs Ghana. The power's back on, we're leading, all's right with the world.

schlaugh
2014-Jun-16, 11:11 PM
The power's back on, we're leading, all's right with the world.

Yes, now if we could just do something about those rainbow popsicle uniforms. What was wrong with navy shorts and a white jersey?

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-16, 11:47 PM
Goooooooooooooooooooooal!

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-17, 12:20 AM
Yes, now if we could just do something about those rainbow popsicle uniforms. What was wrong with navy shorts and a white jersey?

Presumably you have to have two uniforms, one with a white jersey and one colored. Anyhow "we" won. Second in the group now, I think. On to Portugal.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-17, 01:09 AM
I've really been enjoying Google's doodles, by the way. Earlier today it was US and Ghana birds kicking a ball back and forth. Now they are both sitting in nests. The US bird has two chicks and Ghana just one!

Tucson_Tim
2014-Jun-17, 01:57 AM
Any suggestions for a futbol forum? One with a lot of members (world wide) and lots of activity?

Glad to see the USA squeak by Ghana. I was really worried there for most of the match as Ghana made charge after charge.

BTW, I am rooting for the USA and Mexico. If they play each other then I root for the USA.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Jun-17, 11:26 AM
Impressive how Russia used the time when everyone's distracted to supply tanks to the Russia-friendly rebels in Ukraine.

And how no mainstream media are mentioning the massive protests in Brazil against the horrible waste of money the Cup is.

PetersCreek
2014-Jun-17, 02:55 PM
...and let that be the last political comment in this thread from anyone.

Tucson_Tim
2014-Jun-17, 03:46 PM
Anyhow "we" won. Second in the group now, I think. On to Portugal.
But first, the match between Germany and Ghana will be very interesting. How do you see the US team doing against Portugal?

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-17, 03:56 PM
But first, the match between Germany and Ghana will be very interesting. How do you see the US team doing against Portugal?

No idea. I'm not really a follower. It is kind of fun having a couple of guys from the Seattle MLS team (including Dempsey) on the squad.

redshifter
2014-Jun-17, 05:35 PM

I know that a Portuguese defender got a red card in their game vs. Germany and thus he will be suspended for the game vs. the USA. What I don't know is if he can be replaced, or if the Portuguese will have to only play 10 players for the game.

Tucson_Tim
2014-Jun-17, 05:44 PM
I know that a Portuguese defender got a red card in their game vs. Germany and thus he will be suspended for the game vs. the USA. What I don't know is if he can be replaced, or if the Portuguese will have to only play 10 players for the game.
I don't know either. I think it is at the discretion of the ref. I will try to find out . . . .

ETA: No, Portugal will play with full team. The player red-carded, Pepe, is suspended for the next match, the match against USA.

schlaugh
2014-Jun-17, 06:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the red card (and reduction in the number of players on the field) applies only to the game in which it was issued. I've never heard that it carries over to a subsequent game.

Where's Jim? :)

ETA: Ah, now I get it. Pepe is being suspended for violent play. Not your run-of-the-mill red card.

ETA2: And:
A red card brings a mandatory one-game ban at the World Cup but that is usually extended in the case of a sending-off for violent play.

Nicolas
2014-Jun-17, 06:40 PM
The player who gets a red card is banned for the remainder of the current game and (at least) for the next game in the World Cup. In the current game he is not replaced, so they continue with one less player on the field. In the next game he gets replaced so they start the next game with 11 players.

Belgium just won.

Fazor
2014-Jun-17, 08:01 PM
That match last night sure was a nail-biter. Given how it started, I didn't expect it to be so close for the whole match. And minus the first 10' and the last 5', I thought Ghana very much out-played the US. Fortunately for us, the only part that matters is how many times the ball goes in the net.

This Brazil - Mexico match is pretty on-point right now too. That Mexican keeper is playing spectacularly.

Arneb
2014-Jun-17, 08:53 PM
This could go into the the ties/draws thread: Watch again the Brasil - Mexico match that just ended in a goalless draw and was still one of the better games of the championship so far with outstanding goalkeeper performances and nail-biter excitement up to the end. I wanted to got to bed early tonight, but this one sure kept me up.

Fazor
2014-Jun-17, 08:59 PM
This could go into the the ties/draws thread: Watch again the Brasil - Mexico match that just ended in a goalless draw and was still one of the better games of the championship so far with outstanding goalkeeper performances and nail-biter excitement up to the end. I wanted to got to bed early tonight, but this one sure kept me up.

Was just commenting on Twitter that this game was definitely one of the exceptions to my "0 - 0 draws annoy me" comment in that other thread. Great match.

Senior Service
2014-Jun-18, 08:30 AM
This Brazil - Mexico match is pretty on-point right now too. That Mexican keeper is playing spectacularly.
It is easier when the ball comes straight at you and he hasn't caught one yet, but he's better than the Russian guy.

We should be all right as long as Suarez isn't fit, Urugauy don't have anyone else.

slang
2014-Jun-19, 04:57 AM
Less than a week into the tournament and Spain is out... the world is not out of miracles yet! They had a good run, the last 8 years or so.

We should be all right as long as Suarez isn't fit, Urugauy don't have anyone else.

How about Cavani? PSG paid almost 65 million Euros for him, and the last year or two he averages more than one goal per 2 matches. And unlike Suarez, I don't think he bites opponents.

Senior Service
2014-Jun-19, 08:23 AM
How about Cavani? PSG paid almost 65 million Euros for him, and the last year or two he averages more than one goal per 2 matches. And unlike Suarez, I don't think he bites opponents.
And he isn't as obviously racist as Suarez either. Sorry, I was channelling the English pundits who only know players who play in England or for Real or Barca. No-one else is any good, that is why Chile won't beat Spain . . .

Senior Service
2014-Jun-20, 10:01 AM
Ah well, that's it for us for another four years. We need snookers.

slang
2014-Jun-20, 11:58 AM
Nobody better at snooker, so there's still hope then. ;) Looks like your pundits got it right tho, that's the saddest of it all.

Arneb
2014-Jun-20, 06:17 PM
Ah well, that's it for us for another four years. We need snookers.

....and you didn't get them. Italy 0 - 1 Costa Rica

Amazing how the Costa Ricans were able to beat the Italians at their own game. I remember how eight years ago Germany cruised to a relaxed, although competetive, victory in the opening game of the '06 World Cup. They got a lot stronger in the meantime. Now if only Uruguay manage a win against Italy, Germany's bane will be out....

Githyanki
2014-Jun-20, 06:37 PM
I am just glad Argentina did not win; live in Buenos Aires for a few weeks and you will feel the same way.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-20, 07:18 PM
France has just scored two goals in about 10 seconds.

Arneb
2014-Jun-20, 09:21 PM
And continued to to three more. Impressive.

Nicolas
2014-Jun-22, 09:29 PM
Belgium won again. We scored in the last 3 minutes. :) Including qualifications, our score now reads 32 out of 36.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-22, 09:56 PM
USA vs Portugal just about to begin. We (USA) should have a very good shot at moving on if we get at least a tie. The Google doodle, at the moment, has a letter "r" lined up with the ball to kick at the "G-o-o-g-l" in front of the goal, with "e" as a goalie. Then the G-o-o-g-l all run away in fear. I'm guessing "r" is for Ronaldo. And I'm a bit offended.

ETA: The doodle has changed now.

slang
2014-Jun-22, 11:00 PM
Go USA! You can beat these guys! In fact, I insist, you must! :)

Belgium won again. We scored in the last 3 minutes. :) Including qualifications, our score now reads 32 out of 36.

Nice one! You're my backup-team in case we go out :) A joy to see the Red Devils do well again.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-22, 11:42 PM
Gooooooooooaal! Dempsey! USA 2, POR 1.

Trivial things that bug me: We're at the vacation house, where we've been spending more and more of our time. We have HDTV at the main place, but not here. Why the heck not? I can't read the time left on the screen! (Five minutes plus stoppage, according to the CBC announcer.)

ETA: Dempsey just came out. DEEEEE-Fence!! Portugal is threatening.

ETA: Portugal scores with one minute (or so) left. Final score 2-2. Nuts. On to Germany!

One more edit: It's just occurred to me that a USA-Germany draw would move both teams on and send Ghana and Portugal home. Who's up for a little collusion?
h

slang
2014-Jun-23, 10:18 AM
Who's up for a little collusion?

Do you happen to have anyone in your team who can speak a little German, and might even know some of the coaches, players, and staff of the German team?

*snickers* *moves thread to CT*

Arneb
2014-Jun-23, 12:28 PM
It's just occurred to me that a USA-Germany draw would move both teams on and send Ghana and Portugal home. Who's up for a little collusion?

A distinct possibility, although for the German team, that would mean repeating the Shame of Gijón (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria), and ignominious game which tarnished the reputation of the German National side for years. They would break a lot of china at home if they did that.

Also, for the U.S., coming in second as a result of a collusional draw would mean to face Belgium - which are playing strongly - in the round of last 16, and, probably, Argentina in a subsequent quarterfinal. The winner of the group gets whoever comes after Belgium - Algeria or Russia in the round of last 16 and then probably France in the quarterfinals. I bet both teams would rather win their group instead of coming in second.

Heid the Ba'
2014-Jun-23, 12:36 PM
A distinct possibility, although for the German team, that would mean repeating the Shame of Gijón (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria), and ignominious game which tarnished the reputation of the German National side for years. They would break a lot of china at home if they did that.
Yeah, but that wasn't Germany, that was just the decadent, capitalist Wessi. The noble, sporting DDR had no part in it. But yes, if it happened again, or even looked as if it happened again, it would cause a lot of handwringing.

Fazor
2014-Jun-23, 01:11 PM
+/- 28 seconds from victory...

At least today I can smile thinking about how excited those Portugal fans must have been. Yesterday I wasn't in such an empathetic mood.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-23, 02:50 PM
Do you happen to have anyone in your team who can speak a little German, and might even know some of the coaches, players, and staff of the German team?

*snickers* *moves thread to CT*

Well, there is our coach, but I think you knew that!

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-23, 02:59 PM
Also, for the U.S., coming in second as a result of a collusional draw would mean to face Belgium - which are playing strongly - in the round of last 16, and, probably, Argentina in a subsequent quarterfinal. The winner of the group gets whoever comes after Belgium - Algeria or Russia in the round of last 16 and then probably France in the quarterfinals. I bet both teams would rather win their group instead of coming in second.

I'd been wondering about that but hadn't bothered to look it up.

Let me see if I've got this right: Ghana and Portugal have one point each and a negative goal differential. USA and Germany have four points each, and a positive GD. So USA or Germany can lose and still advance if Ghana or Portugal don't score enough to overcome the GD.

No, that's not quite right. Ghana's GD is only -1, while the USA's is +1. If Ghana wins by one goal and the USA loses by one, they're all even. What's the next tiebreaker, games against each other? We win that one. Portugal is in a tougher spot, with a GD of -4. That's going to be tough to overcome. So USA fans need to root for Portugal to beat Ghana by three or fewer goals. Sorry, Ghana.

Arneb
2014-Jun-23, 06:22 PM
I'd been wondering about that but hadn't bothered to look it up.

Let me see if I've got this right: Ghana and Portugal have one point each and a negative goal differential. USA and Germany have four points each, and a positive GD. So USA or Germany can lose and still advance if Ghana or Portugal don't score enough to overcome the GD.

No, that's not quite right. Ghana's GD is only -1, while the USA's is +1. If Ghana wins by one goal and the USA loses by one, they're all even. What's the next tiebreaker, games against each other? We win that one. Portugal is in a tougher spot, with a GD of -4. That's going to be tough to overcome. So USA fans need to root for Portugal to beat Ghana by three or fewer goals. Sorry, Ghana.

Correct. The goal difference Between Germany and Portugal is 8, it is 5 between Germany and Ghana, and 5 between the U.S. and Portugal. Ghana and the U.S. would at least pull equal on GD in the scenario you describe.

After goal difference, the next decider is goals scored, and with a U.S. 0 - 1 against Germany and a Ghana 1 - 0 over Portugal, they would pull even on goals scored as well. So the decider would be the direct comparison between the U.S. and Ghana, which the U.S. would win.

slang
2014-Jun-23, 06:48 PM
Well, there is our coach, but I think you knew that!

Yeah, I was trolling a bit. Klinsmann.. great guy, great player, and already a great coach with Germany.

Senior Service
2014-Jun-25, 03:19 PM
And we go home with only a draw to show for our troubles, the Group of Death lived up to its name.

Suarez showed his true colours again racist, violent scum that he is.

Fazor
2014-Jun-25, 04:13 PM
Suarez showed his true colours again racist, violent scum that he is.

In his defense, I too have heard that eating Italian is a great way to carbo-load for athletes.

starcanuck64
2014-Jun-25, 04:57 PM
I thought hockey fans were fanatical, my nieces husband is from western Germany and put his Dortmund jersey on and although he's usually laid-back went pretty nuts whenever goals were scored for either side.

The action still seems pretty slow to me growing up watching hockey and I keep thinking they need to finish their checks. Still it was exciting to watch the match, things are going to be crazy here if Germany wins, although according to our resident soccer hooligan no northern hemisphere team has ever won when the cup is held in the southern hemisphere.

Arneb
2014-Jun-25, 08:03 PM
I thought hockey fans were fanatical, my nieces husband is from western Germany and put his Dortmund jersey on and although he's usually laid-back went pretty nuts whenever goals were scored for either side.

I never cease to be amazed at what my countrymen, including me, can turn into when they get passionate about football.

So, Group F, no surprises. Anyone willing to predict the next pair of matches in grou E? I'd say, a clear 9-pointer for France, and Switzerland hobble through on a draw or goal difference (they'll progress even if they lose by one goal provided France perform as expected).

Arneb
2014-Jun-25, 08:07 PM
...and Switzerland hobble ...

Drats. 6 min into the game, and I am already wrong in at least one respect (Honduras 0 - 1 Switzerland).

Inclusa
2014-Jun-26, 03:39 AM
In his defense, I too have heard that eating Italian is a great way to carbo-load for athletes.

:rofl:

He is quite notorious for dirty plays already, though.

Nicolas
2014-Jun-26, 08:45 AM
Belgium is already qualified, but there's still a good reason to win their last group match tonight: they'd be the only team to score 9/9.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-26, 04:50 PM
USA-Germany 0-0 at halftime. Portugal leads Ghana 1-0. Not ideal for the USA, but acceptable. On to the second half.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-26, 06:26 PM
Well, we're through. Not in the most convincing fashion, but through.

Arneb
2014-Jun-26, 06:57 PM
I actually liked the way both teams behaved, even though the result wasn't an exciting match, exactly. There was physical play, both teams ran a lot, but of course none of them gave it their all when it wasn't really necessary. After the somewhat dubious defense in the 2-2 draw against Ghana, this one was mainly about control for the German team, and they managed that quite well - two chances in the entire 90 min for the US team, and one of them was when everything was already said and done.

Arneb
2014-Jun-26, 06:58 PM
Belgium is already qualified, but there's still a good reason to win their last group match tonight: they'd be the only team to score 9/9.

Argentina? Columbia? Netherlands?

slang
2014-Jun-26, 08:44 PM
Argentina? Columbia? Netherlands?

I think Nicolas means the only ones in their group, no hassle with goal-differences etc to determine group winners. A while ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_F) Belgium were in the same situation on a World Cup, also won the first 2 games. So the coach rested the best players, and they totally unexpectedly lost to Saudi Arabia. That resulted in Belgium ending up 3rd in their group (which back then meant there was a chance you could go through to knockout stage), and thus being pitted against a group winner in the knock-out stage. I think it was Germany, and they beat Belgium. Had they fielded the strongest team, Saudi Arabia would probably have been beaten... I don't remember this, but it was mentioned on TV the other day.

I believe that exact scenario could be repeated this World Cup, if they end 2nd in the group. But honestly, Belgium have the strongest team in a long time, and they should be able to win against Korea... and while I type this there's a red card for the Red Devils.... terrible foul. Oh dear...

Arneb
2014-Jun-26, 09:14 PM
Ah, OK, of course. Sorry, Nicolas.

Meanwhile, Red Card against Belgium... They don't really want to tough it out against Germany instead of the U.S., do they?

Nicolas
2014-Jun-26, 10:02 PM
9/9 in our group indeed.

You see, regular soccer is too easy for Belgium. So we decided to play 10 vs 11. And we won. (when the team wins, it's "we". When it looses, it's "they"). See you all in the next round, hopefully "we" survive there!

Nicolas
2014-Jun-26, 10:05 PM
I think Nicolas means the only ones in their group, no hassle with goal-differences etc to determine group winners. A while ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_F) Belgium were in the same situation on a World Cup, also won the first 2 games. So the coach rested the best players, and they totally unexpectedly lost to Saudi Arabia. That resulted in Belgium ending up 3rd in their group (which back then meant there was a chance you could go through to knockout stage), and thus being pitted against a group winner in the knock-out stage. I think it was Germany, and they beat Belgium. Had they fielded the strongest team, Saudi Arabia would probably have been beaten... I don't remember this, but it was mentioned on TV the other day.

I believe that exact scenario could be repeated this World Cup, if they end 2nd in the group. But honestly, Belgium have the strongest team in a long time, and they should be able to win against Korea... and while I type this there's a red card for the Red Devils.... terrible foul. Oh dear...

Our worst Worldcup experience was a match where we had already consumed the 2 player changes when the keeper got a red card. So that meant 10 versus 11 and a field player as keeper. The scoreboard was worn out by the end of the match. :D

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-26, 10:48 PM
9/9 in our group indeed.

You see, regular soccer is too easy for Belgium. So we decided to play 10 vs 11. And we won. (when the team wins, it's "we". When it looses, it's "they"). See you all in the next round, hopefully "we" survive there!

Congratulations Nicolas. Too bad you have to lose the next one! Perhaps I'll abstain from Waffles, Fries, Chocolate, and Beer until after the match!

Tucson_Tim
2014-Jun-26, 11:33 PM
It's good to see CONCOCAF do so well: 3 out of 4 teams made it to the knockout stage. Congrats!

Nicolas
2014-Jun-27, 07:27 AM
Congratulations Nicolas. Too bad you have to lose the next one! Perhaps I'll abstain from Waffles, Fries, Chocolate, and Beer until after the match!

We won from Russia last week. If we let the USA win, Russia'd really shut the gas pipe. :D ;)

slang
2014-Jun-27, 09:14 AM
We won from Russia last week. If we let the USA win, Russia'd really shut the gas pipe. :D ;)

I have you guys in the semi-final, where unfortunately you must lose because you will play vs the Robben posse. ;)

Nicolas
2014-Jun-27, 01:33 PM
Yeah, that could become a difficult match. We might have to resort to playing with 11 players.

Fazor
2014-Jun-27, 01:41 PM
I have you guys in the semi-final, where unfortunately you must lose because you will play vs the Robben posse. ;)

That's my one real hope this year, with me being allowed to hold onto that funny USA hope for at least one more match as well. I haven't had a chance to watch much of Robben so far though.

Nicolas
2014-Jun-27, 02:17 PM
It's impossible to have one more USA match and Belgium-Netherlands semi finals, as the next match for USA is USA-Belgium so only one of them will survive 8th finals...

Senior Service
2014-Jun-27, 03:26 PM
The Belgians played well, I'm still not convinced by Fellaini tough.

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-27, 04:30 PM
USA vs Belgium on Tuesday, July 1, at 1:00 PM my time. It'd be like pulling teeth to get me to not watch the game. Exactly like pulling teeth, since that's what I'll be having done. This makes me quite sad.

Arneb
2014-Jun-27, 05:40 PM

It's not really important who loses the Final to us.

slang
2014-Jun-27, 08:35 PM
It's not really important who loses the Final to us.

Hahaha... will there be another Dutch-German Tragedy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup_Final) remembered and mourned for forty years? :) It's the final I hope for. Different outcome, obviously!

Arneb
2014-Jun-28, 08:28 PM
Hahaha... will there be another Dutch-German Tragedy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup_Final) remembered and mourned for forty years? :) It's the final I hope for. Different outcome, obviously!
I find myself agreeing with you about almost everything except... What tragedy again?

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-29, 12:31 AM
Trivial FIFA stuff that amuses me:
We listened to Colombia-Uraguay on the radio while driving this afternoon. The announcers, by their accents, were a Scot and an Irishman. It struck me funny with two Spanish-speaking teams.
In addition, the star of the game was a player whose first name is pronounced "Ham-ez". Spelled "James". Shouldn't he be Diego, or something?

Inclusa
2014-Jun-29, 02:50 AM
We listened to Colombia-Uraguay on the radio while driving this afternoon. The announcers, by their accents, were a Scot and an Irishman. It struck me funny with two Spanish-speaking teams.
In addition, the star of the game was a player whose first name is pronounced "Ham-ez". Spelled "James". Shouldn't he be Diego, or something?

Have you tried reverso.com? It is a great tool to try if you are trying to pronounce something non-English.

Nicolas
2014-Jun-29, 07:01 AM
USA vs Belgium on Tuesday, July 1, at 1:00 PM my time. It'd be like pulling teeth to get me to not watch the game. Exactly like pulling teeth, since that's what I'll be having done. This makes me quite sad.

Doesn't the dentist have a TV above the Throne Of Infinite Torture? If you can keep still while watching the game...

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-29, 02:47 PM
Doesn't the dentist have a TV above the Throne Of Infinite Torture? If you can keep still while watching the game...

Between the Vallium and the Nitrous, I may not be in any condition to follow it! And I won't even get the second half because after the extraction I have to go back to the regular dentist to get a temporary bridge fitted. Thank goodness for DVR's.

slang
2014-Jun-29, 06:14 PM
I find myself agreeing with you about almost everything except... What tragedy again?

Well... that's 1988, a certain semi-final ;) Anyway, our date is still on, but I sure turned a bit more grey these last 2 hours...

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-29, 07:30 PM
Congratulations once again, Slang. We were listening on the radio again so didn't see the foul that led to the penalty. The announcer didn't seem to agree with it. Something about Robben deserving an Academy Award.

slang
2014-Jun-29, 08:25 PM
Heh. Well, judging from the replays, the fall may have been a little more dramatic than the actual touch was. He did not have to fall, but I do think there was a touch. But in the first half there were two fouls in one play on Robben, that should have been a penalty. One kick on the achillesheel and a terrible kick on his foot, that actually lead to game-ending injury for the guilty defender. It was certainly not a good game, but it was good to see the very attacking playing style again after the first goal.

And frankly, while Mexico started very strong in this game, in the last 25 minutes or so they were broken, empty, tired, barely able to play. I believe the win would have come to us anyway, debatable penalty or not, but it's nice that they didn't have to play 30 minutes extra time in that horrifying heat and humidity.

schlaugh
2014-Jun-29, 08:47 PM
Yah, the referee may have been compensating for what looked (to me) like a much worse foul in the first half but which he didn't call.

The replay showed what looked like the feet of both players touching, such that the foot of Márquez blocked the foot of Robben. I didn't think it was a penalty since they were both going for the ball, and it was not a deliberate trip. In any event Ocha had an outstanding day in goal, except for the penalty shot. But that's footie, as my British friends call the sport...

If the US doesn't advance...then go Orange!

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-29, 10:42 PM
My wife and I both have German and Dutch ancestors (she more than I), so if the USA fails to advance, then we'll be rooting for one of those. Of course, we both have English ancestors as well, but, you know....

caveman1917
2014-Jun-30, 11:40 AM
Yeah, that could become a difficult match. We might have to resort to playing with 11 players.

Come on, it's not that bad either.

Nicolas
2014-Jun-30, 01:50 PM
I meant 5 in first half and 6 in second.

slang
2014-Jun-30, 11:18 PM
Nice save!

Arneb, your guys will have to do a little better to get past Colombia or Brasil. I'm not angry.. just a little sad... ;)

Bark
2014-Jun-30, 11:33 PM
I will be a Belgian in spirit tomorrow!

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-01, 12:58 AM
I will be a Belgian in spirit tomorrow!

Boooooooo!

Nicolas
2014-Jul-01, 07:22 PM
Boooooooo!

Eoooooooooooo
Loooooooooooo
Goooooooooooo
Ioooooooooooo
Uooooooooooooooo
Moooooooooooo!

see you in half an hour. :)

Arneb
2014-Jul-01, 07:24 PM
Nice save!

Arneb, your guys will have to do a little better to get past Colombia or Brasil. I'm not angry.. just a little sad... ;)

Well, you SAID you want to meet our boys in the Final! I spent the evening close to mental exhaustion, as you can imagine, but in spite of the glaring inadequacies in the German perfomance yesterday, I see a very, very positive and very, very German trait: To win even when you're playing badly. That was something we've been sourly missing during the Löw/Klinsmann period. And you have to admit, an Algerian win would have been a bit over the top given how many chances both teams created.

I notice that although of all the 8 group winners, Germany played the one that was weakest on paper, the other 6 (Belgium yet to play) didn't have a pleasant stroll in the park either. They all know their football nowadays, and even the smaller teams sport at least a few players from the Big Leagues.

I am a bit torn for my loyalties in the last game: Klinsmann gave us a lot of fun and rebuilt our team after its darkest hour, so he deserves support. Also, the American game was, until now, much more fun to watch than the Belgian one. On the other hand, USA, in football? Somehow, it just doesn't feel right.

I guess I'll just go to sleep. Can't stand another late nighter anyway, given my job.

Finally, Di Maria's shot in the first match today, 3 min from the end of extra time, ended the career of a great coach and true sportsman, Ottmar Hitzfeld. Two time Champions League winner (the first to do it with two different clubs, Dortmund and Bayern), multiple German champion and Cup winner, and a very, very fine example of sportsmanship in this great game. A big salute to him!

Nicolas
2014-Jul-01, 08:13 PM
Looks like this match will at least be more spectacular than our previous ones. Let's hope the results are the good kind of spectacular. :)

Nicolas
2014-Jul-01, 09:35 PM
Let me put it this way: the USA certainly has a good keeper. We tested him a bit. :)

Nicolas
2014-Jul-01, 10:01 PM
FINALLY! As in "quarter-final-y" We've got 99 minutes and the score is 1.

schlaugh
2014-Jul-01, 10:13 PM
Ah well. Back in 2018. I hope.

Nicolas
2014-Jul-01, 10:13 PM
2-0! Howard still can be man of the match for me, he's playing an amazing game!

Nicolas
2014-Jul-01, 10:23 PM
Pfffffff I think Howard will need a shell shock treatment. And a few million supporters some heart medication. The match isn't over yet!

Nicolas
2014-Jul-01, 10:33 PM
Argentina, here we come!

I hope we're both there again in 2018, USA! You don't have to bring Howard again.

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-01, 11:30 PM
Congratulations Nicolas! Perhaps I'll have a waffle in the morning in your honor.

USA is out. Just like my tooth.

Fazor
2014-Jul-02, 01:56 AM
Gotta say, the USA did us proud after going down 2-0.

That said, Belgium did them prouder. Good game! And at least I still have Argentina (Local club players on that team) and Netherlands (ROBBEN!) to root for.

In other news, Netherlands and Argentina to lose their next matches. Heh. #ClevelandFanCurse

Arneb
2014-Jul-02, 07:07 AM
I didn't watch it, but the "more fun to watch" part of my last post seems to have been invalidated yesterday. Congrats, Belgium. I'd appreciate your removing Argentina from competition in the next round, as this would spare us the constant rhetorical sniper fire from Diego Maradona. AND would give this board a Nicolas - slang semifinal (provided Netherlands dispose of Costa Rica, as they should - just ask the Germans :p).

Nicolas
2014-Jul-02, 07:10 AM
And at least I still have ... and Netherlands (ROBBEN!) to root for.

Just make sure Robben doesn't trip over your root.

slang
2014-Jul-02, 08:07 AM
Hehe. It's not as bad as it was in the Premier League anymore, where every Robben-fall was suspect. It's actually pretty rare nowadays to see him do a Schwalbe. Overreacting on an actual touch: of course, otherwise refs tend to ignore fouls, and he's hardly alone in that.

But man, what a thriller, and what a magnificent effort from the US, and terrible finishing from the Belgians... It took a (seemingly?) very angry Lukaku to make the difference, hope your queen recognizes him :)

Nicolas
2014-Jul-02, 09:12 AM
Half of the story was the finishing of the Belgians, the other half was the saves of the keeper. With another keeper, our finishing wouldn't have looked that bad. But certainly room for improvement there! We didn't get anything out of 5 corners.

Anyway, on to Argentina!

Arneb
2014-Jul-02, 09:28 AM
It took a (seemingly?) very angry Lukaku to make the difference

Snejder's equalizer the other day didn't look exactly well-tempered either :).

Nicolas
2014-Jul-02, 09:56 AM
As long as your anger is focused on the ball and not the opponent, it's perfect.

slang
2014-Jul-02, 10:15 PM
To some, being left out of the team for a few games works as doping.

I'm missing something today, weird... like an empty space in the day... *wonders*

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-02, 10:44 PM
Yeah, my wife looked at her phone first thing this morning and said "Oh! Google has just a regular doodle!"

We're not sure who to root for now.

Nicolas
2014-Jul-03, 09:31 AM
We're not sure who to root for now.

*...just happens to be passing by...*

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-03, 03:56 PM
*...just happens to be passing by...*

Yeah, Belgium is definitely on the list. As is The Netherlands. Germany, not so much. Wife is going for the home team (Brazil).

Fazor
2014-Jul-03, 05:03 PM
Like I said up there - I'm a big Robben fan (Yeah yeah, Arjen Floppen.) So there's Netherlands. Columbus' star player, Frederico Higuain, has a brother that plays for Argentina, so there's that too. And lastly, Columbus Crew's Gonzalez plays on Costa Rica. So that gives me three teams to watch. Maybe one of them will make it through to the next round?

NEOWatcher
2014-Jul-03, 05:28 PM
You don't have to bring Howard again.
Howard the Hero?
If I hear him called a hero one more time, I think I'm going to lose my lunch.

I think that word is way overused as it is, and now we apply it and the team didn't even win. I don't think athletic prowess deserves the title.
What did he sacrifice or accomplish that was not in his own interest?

Fazor
2014-Jul-03, 07:30 PM
I think that word is way overused as it is, and now we apply it and the team didn't even win. I don't think athletic prowess deserves the title.
What did he sacrifice or accomplish that was not in his own interest?

He has a beard, so your argument is invalid.

Nicolas
2014-Jul-03, 08:04 PM
Like I said up there - I'm a big Robben fan (Yeah yeah, Arjen Floppen.) So there's Netherlands. Columbus' star player, Frederico Higuain, has a brother that plays for Argentina, so there's that too. And lastly, Columbus Crew's Gonzalez plays on Costa Rica. So that gives me three teams to watch. Maybe one of them will make it through to the next round?

And then there's me, your digital savior, the beacon of sanity in this online temple of chaos. So that gives you 4 teams to watch.

wd40
2014-Jul-03, 10:14 PM
Thanks to the tightening of technology, training and the rules, the technical standard of soccer and tennis may have improved, but in the process they have become dry and boring, together with the lack of players with any charisma or personality. I find today's Wimbledon and the World Cup barely watchable due to the lack of excitement and glamour.

slang
2014-Jul-03, 10:26 PM
That's ok then. Tour de France (http://www.letour.com/us/) starts this weekend, I guess there'll be a Tour thread somewhere in OTB. Enjoy. Go Mollema! ;)

Nicolas
2014-Jul-04, 08:17 AM
Thanks to the tightening of technology, training and the rules, the technical standard of soccer and tennis may have improved, but in the process they have become dry and boring, together with the lack of players with any charisma or personality. I find today's Wimbledon and the World Cup barely watchable due to the lack of excitement and glamour.

Which past players do you consider having charisma or personality, and waht is according to you the difference with people like Nadal, Federer, Messi, Ronaldo...?

As for Belgium, I can safely say that we've had more tennis and soccer personalities in the last 10 years than in the 20 years before that. People furiously collecting their sticker albums, buying their biographies, wearing their shirts, etcetc.

Arneb
2014-Jul-04, 01:50 PM
Strongly disagree. True, people like Toni (not Michael) Schumacher, Antoni Goikoetxea, Claudio Gentile, Eric Cantona arent' there anymore, but what's to miss about them, and what precisely is boring about Ronaldo and Messi, or Thomas Müller? Or, if you like to see bones cracking, Pepe or Kevin-Prince Boateng? Watch the famous Germany 3 - 4 Italy match from 1970, touted as "the match of the century", and you'll doze off with boredom over long stretches of the match. And between Borg-McEnroe and Federer-Nadal, I know whom I'd rather watch.

It is always the obvious and easy choice to say everything was better xyz years ago (which, astonishingly always coincides with the time when the writer was young): you come across smarter than the rest of the herd, you know something the lil un's don't, you can make all the younger ones fail against your superior, unreachable standard - but in the end, is that anything more than attitude?

Why not talk about the very good football we've been seeing over the last three weeks?

Arneb
2014-Jul-04, 02:16 PM
That's ok then. Tour de France (http://www.letour.com/us/) starts this weekend, I guess there'll be a Tour thread somewhere in OTB. Enjoy. Go Mollema! ;)
Aaaah, Le Tour of the 70s and 80s. When they were still pumped with testo, their gums and noses bloody with cocaine, their pupils pinpoint with heroin. Those were still characters, not the lame and bland "sportsmen" of today doing 40 on average during a mountain étape without taking anything!.

Arneb
2014-Jul-04, 06:01 PM
Provided you weren't rooting for France, what was not to like about this quarterfinal we just saw, wd40?

slang
2014-Jul-05, 11:02 PM
Wow.

slang
2014-Jul-05, 11:42 PM
I cannot remember any team ever changing their goalie for the penalty shoot-outs. Not ever. Wow. Van Gaal.. due to his arrogance one of the most hated coaches ever. But now? He's showing his skill. If he starts a religion now... pfffffffffff.

I'm really sorry we won't meet Belgium in the semi-final... They were better than Argentina, but that's soccer, the best team doesn't always win. I guess it's up to us to make the game less Messi. ;)

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-06, 01:28 AM
Congrats, Slang. Sorry, Nicolas.

Brazil is going to have a tough time against Germany, I think, with two top players out.

Nicolas
2014-Jul-06, 07:28 AM
Congrats neighbours! (except for that one south of us, we can't all win :) ).

Yesterday wasn't really advertising for soccer. 1 goal in 3.5 hours of soccer...

Arneb
2014-Jul-06, 08:09 AM
I cannot remember any team ever changing their goalie for the penalty shoot-outs. Not ever.
I saw it once, a yoear or two ago, but I forget the venue. CL, maybe.

Nicolas, I think the NED-CRC game was a wonderful advertisement for football. People tend not to believe it, but this was truly a gripping goalless draw. slang should be back from the chest pain unit by now :-)

Go 'Schland! It leaves one somewhat unsatisfied to have an opponent weakened just by referee incompetence, but I think Germany's chances of actually winning against Brasil have improved somewhat.

slang
2014-Jul-06, 09:46 AM
I saw it once, a year or two ago, but I forget the venue. CL, maybe.

Nicolas, I think the NED-CRC game was a wonderful advertisement for football. People tend not to believe it, but this was truly a gripping goalless draw. slang should be back from the chest pain unit by now :-)

No joke... So many chances... I literally screamed when Krul stopped that last penalty kick. I think the match also shows there are no weak opponents on a world cup, that the strongest team isn't guaranteed to win, and that we CAN win shoot-outs. :)

Go 'Schland! It leaves one somewhat unsatisfied to have an opponent weakened just by referee incompetence, but I think Germany's chances of actually winning against Brasil have improved somewhat.

That was terrible.. That referee let the Brasilians get away with intentionally bruising the most dangerous Colombian players. There was a bad foul on James (knee to upper leg) right at the start that should have been a yellow. It's like that previous world cup final: the referee didn't punish the first fouls enough, and the match got out of control. Oh well. I hope Neymar recovers quickly, but not before the semi-final. :)

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-06, 02:54 PM
That was terrible.. That referee let the Brasilians get away with intentionally bruising the most dangerous Colombian players. There was a bad foul on James (knee to upper leg) right at the start that should have been a yellow. It's like that previous world cup final: the referee didn't punish the first fouls enough, and the match got out of control. Oh well. I hope Neymar recovers quickly, but not before the semi-final. :)
The ESPN announcer said the referee apparently forgot to put cards in his pocket. Neymar is out for the remainder of the tournament with a broken back. That might not have happened had the ref exerted some control earlier.

And in other news, Mark Cavendish is out of the Tour de France on the first day.

slang
2014-Jul-06, 10:58 PM
The ESPN announcer said the referee apparently forgot to put cards in his pocket. Neymar is out for the remainder of the tournament with a broken back. That might not have happened had the ref exerted some control earlier.

As sad as I am on a personal level for such an injury, since I'm still hoping for a Netherlands-Germany final (to wipe out TWO traumas vs. both Germany and Argentina), I'm still glad he'll be out of the semi-final. If the injury is real, and this is not some mind-game attempt by the Brazilians...

And in other news, Mark Cavendish is out of the Tour de France on the first day.

At least he had nobody to blame but himself. No storybook hometown win, no yellow jersey put on his shoulders by the future queen of England... instead a Dutch team took that. Hmm. ;) Glad there's the Tour to watch as we wait for Tuesday evening. Go Mannschaft!

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-06, 11:35 PM
As sad as I am on a personal level for such an injury, since I'm still hoping for a Netherlands-Germany final (to wipe out TWO traumas vs. both Germany and Argentina), I'm still glad he'll be out of the semi-final. If the injury is real, and this is not some mind-game attempt by the Brazilians...

Oh, he's out, all right.

At least he had nobody to blame but himself. And said so, which raises my opinion of him significantly!

slang
2014-Jul-08, 08:52 PM
No referee going to help them out of this one! Must be nice to play against a team that doesn't defend.

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-08, 09:09 PM
Holy cow! What was that, four goals in about as many minutes?

Arneb
2014-Jul-08, 10:27 PM
Soooo ein Tag, so wunderschön wie heute....

It was... you know... AWESOME!
Neuer barking at his defenders after the Brasil goal in the last minute was sublime....

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-09, 02:34 AM
We'll probably be on the road for tomorrow's NL-ARG match, but fortunately know where to find ESPN on the satellite radio. I'm rooting for the Dutch.

We'd been out to lunch for the start of today's game but figured we wouldn't miss much and didn't think to turn on the radio. When we got home and my wife turned on the TV it was 3-0. I was surprised. And even more surprised when it was 4-0 moments later. Then I went out to do something for a minute or two and when I came in it was 5-0. Who says there's no scoring in soccer?

Cougar
2014-Jul-09, 03:52 PM
What's the deal with google's doodle today? An ant measures the ball and pulls a red card? I haven't been following the World Cup news that closely, but....?

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-09, 04:08 PM
I think he's seeing if it is over the line far enough for a goal, but yeah, it's pretty much the weakest of all the WC doodles I've seen. I thought perhaps there would be alternate outcomes, but I haven't seen any.

Fazor
2014-Jul-09, 04:24 PM
I think he's seeing if it is over the line far enough for a goal, but yeah, it's pretty much the weakest of all the WC doodles I've seen. I thought perhaps there would be alternate outcomes, but I haven't seen any.

That'd be my take as well, except the rule is the entirety of the ball has to cross the line so it's not even accurate. Hrmph.

starcanuck64
2014-Jul-09, 05:53 PM
I didn't watch the Germany Brazil game with my nephew, but I could hear him yelling from the other room, he was one happy German. We'll be having a World Cup party here on Sunday, lot's of good beer and I won't jinx Germany by making any comments, but it's probably going to be wild.

BetaDust
2014-Jul-09, 07:46 PM
Just passing by.......

NL - Arg . World Cup Half Final about to start.

Go Orange!!
Hup! Holland Hup!!!!!
:)

--Dennis

slang
2014-Jul-09, 11:00 PM
Sigh.. Well, our team has done better than almost anyone expected. Good luck, Germany, take it! We didn't have to lose this match but did, I'm sure you'll beat them! Go Klose! Go Müller!

Too bad Vlaar missed, he was man of the match for defending so well. *sighs some more*

Cougar
2014-Jul-09, 11:30 PM
Sigh.... *sighs some more*

Yep, sorry about that, Slangster. Went all the way down to penalty kicks!

Swift
2014-Jul-10, 01:56 AM
Sigh.. Well, our team has done better than almost anyone expected. Good luck, Germany, take it! We didn't have to lose this match but did, I'm sure you'll beat them! Go Klose! Go Müller!

Too bad Vlaar missed, he was man of the match for defending so well. *sighs some more*
Sorry slang.

Arneb
2014-Jul-10, 02:15 PM
slang, I wished your team and its supporters well to correct one trauma :whistle:. I'd say the other one was corrected in '88.

Speaking from the experience of al lost Final (in '02) and two sucessful 3rd place matches ('06, '10) for my team - the 3rd place match is soemthing you want as much as a bucket of warm spit, but if I could decide between coming in third and losing the Final, I'd probably prefer the former option: It is only the first friendly international of the new season, but it ends the tournament on a sweet note, not on a bitter one.

So make your guys win on Saturday (it's possible, believe me :D), and you'll leave the tournament behind as one happy dutchman.

slang
2014-Jul-12, 10:21 PM
Well, that's bronze then. Better than nothing, I suppose. What a terrible, terrible match it was.. Not because of our guys, they humiliated Brazil again. First time in a long time they've been beaten on their home turf twice in a row. But the referee was disgraceful. A shame that such a bad official was assigned the 2nd most important match of the tournament, resultwise. I don't know which team he harmed more with his bad decisions, but this guy should not ever referee any international match again, let him just ruin Algerian matches. Good luck tomorrow, Arneb.

ETA: I forgot to add that I was very impressed with the Brazilian crowd, staying in their seats for so long to applaud the Dutch team. Thank you Brazil, you were great hosts.

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-12, 11:34 PM
Congratulations, Slang. Sort of like kissing your sister, of course. It probably should have been 2-1 had Oscar been given the penalty kick he deserved. Then again, the announcers thought Thiago Silva should have gotten red instead of yellow on the Dutch penalty kick, which would have made it 11 against 10 for most of the game. He already contributed mightily to their being in this game by fouling himself out of the semi.

I'm thinking Robben is beginning to not get fouls called when he deserves to, on account of his reputation for acting.

Today's Doodle has the two "O's" in Dutch and Brazillian colors, packing their soccer balls, donning Russian fur hats, and toddling off in the direction of 2018.

slang
2014-Jul-12, 11:53 PM
Then again, the announcers thought Thiago Silva should have gotten red instead of yellow on the Dutch penalty kick, which would have made it 11 against 10 for most of the game.

That was the 3rd minute... 87 out of 90 minutes of disadvantage by a blundering referee. Coward. And that was not the only red card that should have been given in this match, nor was the yellow count up to requirements. That referee should not ever be invited for any international game again.

I'm thinking Robben is beginning to not get fouls called when he deserves to, on account of his reputation for acting.

The sad thing about that is that his diving reputation was based on his time in the Premier League, many, many years ago (he transferred to Real in 2007). Yes, he did a lot of acting there, a lot of diving. He's left that behind long before this championship, as is obvious to anyone who has followed him in his career at Real Madrid and Bayern München, and his many European level matches. The fact that his "acting" reputation was given so much attention here is a kudo to the World Cup coaches who benefitted from it, by having referees influenced. He has, during the previous 2 games, even had fouls called against him which were totally ridiculous, but were clearly caused by the referees being influenced by external opinion. Sad, very sad. I would very, very much like someone to do a thorough impartial investigation on which nation or player did the most diving or acting in this tournamant. I'm confident that our team, and even Arjen Robben, would not end up number one on such a list. It wouldn't change anything, but it would clear some reputations (and tarnish some others!).

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-13, 12:52 AM
I hope the officiating is better tomorrow!

Heid the Ba'
2014-Jul-13, 08:40 PM
'schland!

Heid the Ba'
2014-Jul-13, 09:27 PM
'schland!

How very queer, the board won't let me post that in upper case.

slang
2014-Jul-13, 10:23 PM
Not anything, caps only.

'SCHLAND! :clap: The best team won, even though it was an ugly final... but aren't they all?

And we can still be proud of beating the current world champion senseless, so bad they never recovered. And this was the first time we left a world cup unbeaten (the Arg. game is considered a draw). And I believe we're the first team to use all 23 players in the squad. And if the new world champion has that much trouble beating Argentina, we won't have to feel too bad about being unable to do the same ;) Congrats Germany, we'll gladly take the trophy from you in 4 years :D

Heid the Ba'
2014-Jul-13, 10:44 PM
Yes, they are all ugly finals.

You do realise you'll have to beat Scotland to win the next one. Why yes, I have been drinking . . .

slang
2014-Jul-13, 10:58 PM
Always difficult games, those, especially the away games.. :) Cheers mate. I'm nipping something Scottish as well, on top of some German lager.

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-13, 11:14 PM
And I'm having some California wine. Argentina certainly has nothing to be ashamed of. Congratulations, Germany.

In a couple of hours, we're planning to watch the Seattle Sounders against arch-rival Portland. Two USA World Cup players are on the squad.

Cougar
2014-Jul-13, 11:47 PM
The best team won, even though it was an ugly final... but aren't they all?

I have to say, American football is a lot more, um, eventful.

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-14, 12:16 AM
I have to say, American football is a lot more, um, eventful.

For some definitions of "eventful". Five seconds of action out of every thirty (not counting the many time-outs), and most of those actions consist of robots (at least they look like robots) running into each other and going nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch it, especially since the local team did rather well early this year.

For continuous action (like soccer) and lots of scoring (sort of like American football), you need basketball. A subject in which I've lost all interest since the local team is playing about 1500 miles away. And then there's baseball. Very little scoring OR action.

Swift
2014-Jul-14, 12:38 AM
ETA: I forgot to add that I was very impressed with the Brazilian crowd, staying in their seats for so long to applaud the Dutch team. Thank you Brazil, you were great hosts.
That impressed me too. Before the games I recall a lot of worry about how badly things were going to go, Brazil wasn't prepared, there was going to be protests and riots.

Maybe all that happened and the press didn't cover it, but I haven't heard anything really bad about how the games were hosted.

starcanuck64
2014-Jul-14, 01:27 AM
The police weren't called, but my nieces husband was so happy he was out in the street stopping cars, yelling, waving his German flag and offering (non-alcoholic) beer to the drivers. He's pretty much blotto now and has gone off to celebrate with friends, he may be back sometime tomorrow apparently.

I wasn't well this morning and early afternoon and missed the game but got woken up by the loud screaming in the next room, Europeans do take their soccer football very seriously.

If the Canucks had ever won the Stanley Cup I probably would have reacted not too differently when I was younger.

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-14, 05:04 AM
If the Canucks had ever won the Stanley Cup I probably would have reacted not too differently when I was younger.

Since they have riots when they come in second, I'd hate to think what would happen when they win.

Inclusa
2014-Jul-14, 06:00 AM
For some definitions of "eventful". Five seconds of action out of every thirty (not counting the many time-outs), and most of those actions consist of robots (at least they look like robots) running into each other and going nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch it, especially since the local team did rather well early this year.

For continuous action (like soccer) and lots of scoring (sort of like American football), you need basketball. A subject in which I've lost all interest since the local team is playing about 1500 miles away. And then there's baseball. Very little scoring OR action.

Don't forget beach soccer (even the Europeans call it this way); it is way more action than standard soccer; with a smaller pitch (35-37m×26-28m) and removals of restrictions in standard soccer (unlimited substitutions during the match, no offside, no draws, no walls in penalty, and no footwear), shorter play periods, it is easily more exciting than standard soccer.

starcanuck64
2014-Jul-14, 06:23 AM
Since they have riots when they come in second, I'd hate to think what would happen when they win.

Sure they'd burn down part of Vancouver, but it's the Stanley Cup man!:)

HenrikOlsen
2014-Jul-14, 11:12 AM
That impressed me too. Before the games I recall a lot of worry about how badly things were going to go, Brazil wasn't prepared, there was going to be protests and riots.

Maybe all that happened and the press didn't cover it, but I haven't heard anything really bad about how the games were hosted.
It did and is was carefully ignored by the press who didn't want to ruin the hysteria that kept it selling.

Arneb
2014-Jul-14, 10:11 PM
So it's all over now, and "my" team won. Obviously, it felt great. I disagree with some statements here that said it wasn't a good Final. I think it was way better than the last three of '10, '06, and'02, - only France's celebration of fast, elegant attack football in '98 (3-0 against Brasil) was more fun (for the neutral viewer)to watch. I think the defending was very good (yes, Kroos, but how many times did Boateng make fantastic clear-outs?), the midfield passing was excellent, very few mistakes, and the goal was just a charm to watch. Schürrle made his, what, 20th run along the left, his high speed pass had Swiss watch precisionm, and there are very, very few players who could have converted this pass the way Götze did.

One low point, again, was the refereeing. No outright idiocies, as in the match for third place (slang covered those), but really, Kramer checked out of his conscience, in the penalty area, the ball a mile away? Neuer checking Higuaín, with all his full mv square, from the side? Aguero and friends visciously rear-ending Schweinsteiger, three times in row, raking in the profit of having Schweinstieger off-pich, while they go unpunished (it would have been yellow-red for Aguero and Mascherano)? I get the feeling we revert back to the brutalities of the 80s, when El Carnicero de Bilbao, Claudio Gentile or Eric Cantona reigned supreme. If fine, slender players with superb technique can just get mowed down with impunity just in order to make the game more interesting, football will suffer.