PDA

View Full Version : Spyware problem

frogesque
2004-Dec-26, 03:35 PM
I have Spyware blaster on my pc and I regularly update it. However, in the Overview I keep getting Restricted Sites protection enabled .... 1 items have protection disabled > CoolWebSearch (648) ....mywebsearch.net ...

Spyware checks with Yahoo and others report LinkGrabber 99 is present.

Every time I add protection against mywebsearch.net it seems to uncheck its self and I also end up with linkgrabber 99 again after I delete it.

Anyone have a clue where the nasty resides that overules my explicit wishes. I realise it could be two seperate issues but it does seem to be a heavy coincidence.

O/S Win 98, main browser IE6 (all patches up to date). I have Firefox but it's unstable on my pc and freezes. I also have Zone Alarm and AVG resident (latest versions and updated)

Tranquility
2004-Dec-26, 03:52 PM
Ahh yeah CoolWebSearch is one of the peskiest and hardest to remove spyware/adware. There's a tool designed especially for it since Ad-aware and Spybot usually have difficulty removing it.

(BTW don't just use SpywareBlaster. It prevents some spyware from getting on your PC, but if you already have spyware, it's useless. You need to use it in conjunction with Ad-aware and Spybot S&D).

You can find the CoolWebSearch tool here (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html).

frogesque
2004-Dec-26, 04:13 PM
Ahh yeah CoolWebSearch is one of the peskiest and hardest to remove spyware/adware. There's a tool designed especially for it since Ad-aware and Spybot usually have difficulty removing it.

(BTW don't just use SpywareBlaster. It prevents some spyware from getting on your PC, but if you already have spyware, it's useless. You need to use it in conjunction with Ad-aware and Spybot S&D).

You can find the CoolWebSearch tool here (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html).

Thanks Tranquility, seems to have worked, I do use Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy and also Yahoo Anti-Spy but nothing permanantly got rid of this one.

Tranquility
2004-Dec-26, 04:20 PM
Not a problem, glad to have helped :wink:

BTW, if Firefox is unstable on your PC, why don't you give Opera a spin?