PDA

View Full Version : ValueRAM for my PC - I need help

PyroFreak
2004-Dec-27, 03:38 PM
Hello Hello, got a question about memory for my computer. I got some Kingston ValueRAM for Christmas, and all the specs say that it will work for my computer. My question is, does anyone know what is the difference between Kingston's ValueRAM (KVR) and their regular stuff (KTD)? I got 2 512 sticks of ValueRAM and also Half Life 2, so I want to make sure that I am getting what I need ( I only have a 64 MB GForce 4 Vid card). Do I need to return it for higher quality memory, or is it good quality already? I have a Dell computer. If you know anything about this ValueRAM stuff, help me!

Candy
2004-Dec-27, 03:49 PM
I attempted to call Dell when I was in need of replacing my RAM, but the wait time was huge.

I went to Best Buy, and they were able to tell me what was compatible for my Dell PC.

Best Buy didn't have what I needed, so I ended up purchasing it online. It was my first time doing this myself. Scarry.

Nergal
2004-Dec-27, 04:21 PM
Hello Hello, got a question about memory for my computer. I got some Kingston ValueRAM for Christmas, and all the specs say that it will work for my computer. My question is, does anyone know what is the difference between Kingston's ValueRAM (KVR) and their regular stuff (KTD)? I got 2 512 sticks of ValueRAM and also Half Life 2, so I want to make sure that I am getting what I need ( I only have a 64 MB GForce 4 Vid card). Do I need to return it for higher quality memory, or is it good quality already? I have a Dell computer. If you know anything about this ValueRAM stuff, help me!
As long as the memory matches the spes for your PC, you should be fine on that front. I caution you however...all the memory in the world will not compensate for a video card that is under-powered (compared to the game reqs).

I found this online for Half Life II: "The game running at maximum detail 50/60 fps, machine required for this is approx 1600Mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, GeForce4 Ti card." That should push your GeForce4 pretty hard, but I'd expect good performance.

I'd give serious consideration to upgrading your vid card next...128MB models are well within the $60-100 range now and offer a considerable performance increase over what you have now.

Metricyard
2004-Dec-27, 04:33 PM
I find "ValueRam" to be very unreliable. There's a reason that it's called that.

I've had way too many system's that were supposed to be compatable, but wouldn't work at all or run very flacky. Not worth the savings, in my opinion.

Go here (http://www.crucial com) to Crucial.com

It's inexpensive, you can match the make/model of your PC and/or motherboard exactly, and it's free 2nd day shipping.

No muss, no guesswork.

Edit.
Can't seem to get the URL to work. Did it before with no problems. Damn computers.:-?

www.crucial.com
[/url]

DreadCthulhu
2004-Dec-27, 05:35 PM
Also, is your video card a Geforce 4 TI or a Geforce 4 MX? There is a big difference between the two; the Geforce 4 MX is actually just a souped up Geforce 2, and is much slower than the Ti models.

Also note for everyone's information, the amount of RAM in a video card is only one part of the cards performance. The speed of the RAM (memory bus width x memory clockspeed) and the speed/number pixel pipelines in the GPU are also very important.

PyroFreak
2004-Dec-27, 06:12 PM
Ok, I'll give you my computer specs, (from what I know about it, I am not at home)

Dell Dimension 4600
P4 2.4 with 533 FSB
256 DDR RAM
64 MB GeForce 4 (don't know if it's Ti or MX)
blah blah blah

Ok, the RAM I was given is KVR400 512MB PC3200 CL=3 184-pin DIMM.
I'll get another stick and use it if this ValueRAM will work.

I appreciate all the comments and I will seriously take them into consideration when choosing what I will do.

Anymore suggestions? What is CL=3 and is that OK for my computer?

DreadCthulhu
2004-Dec-27, 06:33 PM
CL means the Cas Latency - basically the lower the better; 3 isn't bad, though you can pick up nice PC3200 RAM with a CAS latency of 2.5 for around $70 - I have 2 sticks of Corsair Value Select (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-026&depa=1) in my computer and they work great. And Corsair is one of the better brands.

Ut
2004-Dec-27, 07:28 PM
Since it's a pre-built Dell PC, it's almost certainly a GeForce 4 MX. My parents computer has a 440 MX, and it runs HL2 fine at 600x800 resolution.

Nergal
2004-Dec-27, 07:41 PM
Also note for everyone's information, the amount of RAM in a video card is only one part of the cards performance. The speed of the RAM (memory bus width x memory clockspeed) and the speed/number pixel pipelines in the GPU are also very important.

Very true. In general though (i.e. not high performance) the amount of memory on the card is a good overall indicator of performance (more = better). Other factors like pipelines, RAM speed, and such become important when diffentiating between individual cards and when you start running high intensity applications (which apparently HL-2 isn't).

2004-Dec-27, 10:50 PM
First, the card is DEFINITELY a GF4 MX. Second, you really need two sticks of RAM to add in that computer if you're upgrading. It's designed to run memory in dual channel mode and if you only add one, it will drop down to single channel. It won't be a huge performance hit, but there will be some.

Second, Kingston is a decent brand of memory and the Value Ram should be fine (it's still name brand memory, just their lower specced stuff).

My suggestion to you would be, if possible, return the single stick you got and purchase two 128 MB sticks. That would give you 512 total. Then take the money you save and upgrade your video card. I would look at a Radeon 9600 Pro or better for HL2. The newer Nvidia cards are also good. The FX line has some issues with HL2 unless you run it in DirectX 8 mode.