PDA

View Full Version : Linux Question

Githyanki
2014-Jul-04, 01:16 AM
I am finally ready to download linux to install on a computer; question is, which one do I choose? There is not one version but many; does anyone use Linux and what versions do you use and do you have any praises or complaints about it; thanks.

dockeen
2014-Jul-04, 01:26 AM
What do you want to do with it?

Solfe
2014-Jul-04, 02:11 AM
There are many, many versions of Linux. My favorites are Ubuntu, Mint and xPud. My suggestion would be to test drive your computer using a "live cd" or thumb drive. You can experience the software without actually doing anything to your hard drive.

There are a few versions of Linux that aren't meant to be installed. Puppy goes on a removable media and loads itself to the pc's memory. XPud runs off a flash drive. These are sort of "trick installs", they do not actually go on your computer. CentOS is also a bit of a tricky version. Many of the more common types of Linux use a windows utility to make the image bootable. CentOS interacts oddly with this type of utility and you get bootable media that is somehow broken. If you do this, save yourself a disk and google a "how to" doc. My blog has one, but there are a few better ones out there.

Before doing too much, Google your hardware to make sure other people have had success. No sense in being the first to slay dragons if you don't have too.

dockeen
2014-Jul-04, 02:17 AM
There is a lot to like about Ubuntu, for me, the software center is a big one.

At work on the other hand, we tend to used Red Hat derivatives, like CentOS or Scientific Linux.

pantaz
2014-Jul-04, 03:52 AM
This might help narrow down your choices -- http://distrowatch.com/.
Then again, it may complicate things. :whistle:

Cookie
2014-Jul-04, 07:03 AM
What kind of GUI do you want? Like something like 98, xp, vista, win7 or 8?

Do you have a touchscreen monitor?

Paul Beardsley
2014-Jul-04, 09:36 AM
Before doing too much, Google your hardware to make sure other people have had success. No sense in being the first to slay dragons if you don't have too.

This is a very important point with Linux. Choose the right one and you can have access to a huge amount of support.

I would tend to favour Ubuntu, but my experience is very limited. I used it in an Open University course, but the course turned out to be so poor I got a refund.

Solfe
2014-Jul-04, 11:02 AM
This is a very important point with Linux. Choose the right one and you can have access to a huge amount of support.I would tend to favour Ubuntu, but my experience is very limited. I used it in an Open University course, but the course turned out to be so poor I got a refund.

Be careful with distrowatch. I installed a highly rated webservering varient of Linux. Somehow, through all the reviews and documentation I missed out on the fact it was Portuguese language only. I know some Itailian and Spanish and tried to muddle throught the terminal.

Let me tell you how well that didn't work. I did get the software installed but couldn't actually do anything with it.

Midway through this mess, my 8 year old told me: "Dad, Ubuntu live disk uses whatever language you pick at startup... you can take it off with English". As if "English" is some sort of computer cleaner option. :)

Apparently he "pranked" his mom with the language choices of the live disc and her laptop. Drove her nuts because she didn't realize that all she had to do was turn the machine off to go back to normal.

caveman1917
2014-Jul-04, 06:54 PM
Be careful with distrowatch. I installed a highly rated webservering varient of Linux. Somehow, through all the reviews and documentation I missed out on the fact it was Portuguese language only. I know some Itailian and Spanish and tried to muddle throught the terminal.

I had something similar with a mod for a game, which turned out to be only available in Spanish. I really don't get that, i am neither English-speaking but when i code something the primary ui language is English - it's a standard. If you're only going to support a single language, and what you're writing is meant for public distribution, then just use English.

Githyanki
2014-Jul-09, 01:21 AM
What do you want to do with it?

Internet mostly.

What kind of GUI do you want? Like something like 98, xp, vista, win7 or 8?

Do you have a touchscreen monitor?

It is an old laptop I got in '07 and Vista crashed in '10. If I could run my old programs that do not work on Win 7, that would be great!