PDA

View Full Version : Ba$eball

sarongsong
2004-Dec-28, 06:58 AM
"...Checks for the competitive-balance tax, as it is formally known, are due at the commissioner's office by Jan. 31.
"The CBT is now an important part of baseball's economic landscape," Red Sox owner John Henry said in an e-mail Monday. "From my perspective, even though it costs us, the stronger the CBT is in the future, the stronger the sport is going to be. It is a much more productive form of taxation than that of strictly revenue taxation because the economic incentives for teams are not damaged."..."
http://tinyurl.com/5asyl
Too bad their won-loss records aren't 'taxed' instead.

TimH
2004-Dec-28, 02:31 PM
Not a big Sox fan, eh? :wink:

Ut
2004-Dec-28, 02:35 PM
Meh. I want compensation from the BoSox for crushing my lifelong dream of never, EVER seeing the Boston Red Sox: World Champions. That would be a productive tax.

sarongsong
2004-Dec-28, 03:20 PM
Not a big Sox fan, eh? :wink:
It's not that---just disillusioned to find one more "Joe, say it ain't so!" in a kid's game.

sarongsong
2005-Apr-21, 06:51 PM
April 20, 2006 (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050421/D89JFPA80.html)
"The struggling New York Yankees will be hit with a record luxury tax this year...based on opening-day rosters have the Yankees owing $30,637,531...The only other team projected to owe a tax is the World Series champion Boston Red Sox, who would pay $969,177...Last year, the Yankees paid a tax of $25,964,060...Baseball will send the bills in late December based on end-of-season figures..." :o

Trebuchet
2005-Apr-21, 06:58 PM
The Seattle Mariners have the fifth highest payroll in baseball????? :o

They'll be lucky to be at .500 this year.

Normandy6644
2005-Apr-21, 08:48 PM
I'll stick with my hometown Devil Rays. Lowest payroll in the league and still kicking!

Trebuchet
2005-Apr-22, 12:32 AM
I'll stick with my hometown Devil Rays. Lowest payroll in the league and still kicking!

And you have Lou Piniella!

Maksutov
2005-Apr-22, 01:35 AM
And here I thought the "$" in the Subject "Ba$eball" was going to stand for both simoleons and steroids, and the relation between the two, as in "How much was spent on performance-enhancing drugs last year compared to..."! :wink:

Normandy6644
2005-Apr-22, 05:25 AM

And you have Lou Piniella!

Yup! He's also quoted in the papers a lot as complaining that the upper management isn't committed to winning because they basically don't spend any money. They don't invest in anything. They complain it's because of a lack of attendence, but they don't seem to understand that if they spent some money on some good players, then the team started winning, fans would come! It happened last year during their 12 game winning streak, and it would happen again. Everyone seems to get this but the GM. Argh! :evil:

Antilles
2005-Apr-23, 10:45 AM
No offense, but the D-Rays ownership just flat-out stinks. If that team wants to go anywhere, Vince Naimoli has to go.

*hopes he's not the only Red Sox fan on the boards*

Normandy6644
2005-Apr-23, 03:34 PM
No offense, but the D-Rays ownership just flat-out stinks. If that team wants to go anywhere, Vince Naimoli has to go.

*hopes he's not the only Red Sox fan on the boards*

None taken. He's terrible.

But what a win last night!! :D