PDA

View Full Version : St. Helens iMush Experiment Officialy Started

dgavin
2014-Jul-05, 03:56 PM
As of July fourth, 63 passive seismograph stations have places around Mt. St. Helens, in an effort to actually produce images of St. Helens Magma pools. Status update and map of stations at the following Experiments blog URL http://imush.org/blog/2014/07/04/done. This will experiment will gather data for two years, with so many stations, they hope to be able to mathematically produce images of the magma pools. Interesting enough, when I had posted a guess here on baut many years ago, based on quake swarm depth over time, and St. Helens rather cyclic nature, that it had three magma pools, seems to match this diagram of what the iMush experiment hopes to find. http://imush.org/attachments/51/SchematicPLot_scale.png

Swift
2014-Jul-05, 07:24 PM
I do like the bright purple equipment cases. Oh, and for everyone else, iMUSH stands for Imaging Magma Under St. Helens.

swampyankee
2014-Jul-06, 10:52 AM
Oh, and for everyone else, iMUSH stands for Imaging Magma Under St. Helens.

Oh, good. I thought Apple had taken over a category of MUD and set it near an American volcano.

Less good, I'm getting really tired of acronyms.

Swift
2014-Jul-06, 05:29 PM
You might want to join SOPTOA - Society of People Tired of Acronyms. :D

swampyankee
2014-Jul-06, 08:53 PM
You might want to join SOPTOA - Society of People Tired of Acronyms. :D

APUMA: Association to Prevent the Usage of More Acronyms. I'm the founding (and only) member.

My previous, equally ill-fated political foray was a petition to overturn the second law of thermodynamics. I'll stick that one into the ATM forum. It's only a theory, right?

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-06, 09:11 PM
Oh, good. I thought Apple had taken over a category of MUD and set it near an American volcano.

I'm even more tired of stuff starting with a lower-case "i". It was sort of pretentious even the first time Apple used it and has only gotten worse.

Jeff Root
2014-Jul-07, 09:27 AM
Since there is no other obvious reason for the "i" in "iMUSH"
to be lower case (LC or lc), I infer it was influenced by Apple
infection.

What is the difference between a passive seismograph and
an aggressive seismograph?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

dgavin
2014-Jul-07, 10:48 AM
Passive Seismology means it uses the natural low frequency (0 to 10 Hz) events of the local area to make measurements. Where as Active Seismology involves setting off explosions and measuring the higher frequency events related to those, so that is rather aggressive in a way.

Jeff Root
2014-Jul-07, 11:02 AM
That's "passive seismology". What's a "passive seismograph"?
A seismograph that doesn't explode?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

dgavin
2014-Jul-07, 01:59 PM
Those designed to detect natural low frequency (0 to 10 Hz) signals. There are also Short-Period, Broad-band, long-period, and strong motion types.

Jeff Root
2014-Jul-07, 02:16 PM
Ah-ha! Thank you.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Squink
2014-Jul-10, 06:07 PM
Passive Seismology means it uses the natural low frequency (0 to 10 Hz) events of the local area to make measurements
Sounds like this French/Japanese study of mt Fuji: Giant earthquakes help predict volcanic eruptions (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140708092129.htm)
Until the early 2000s, seismic noise* was systematically removed from seismological analyses. This background noise is in fact associated with seismic waves caused by ocean swell. These waves, which can be compared to permanent, continuous microseisms, can be used by seismologists instead of earthquakes (which are highly localized over a limited time period) to image Earth's interior and its evolution over time, rather like an ultrasound scan on a global scale.
This fits in nicely with recent "mt. Fuji's About to Blow (http://phys.org/news/2012-09-mount-fuji-pressure-eruption.html)" speculation.

KaiYeves
2014-Jul-11, 08:36 AM

And here I thought it was something to do with dogsleds...

Ara Pacis
2014-Jul-11, 06:09 PM
The lowercase i makes sense to me. The object being monitored is Magma Under St. Helens (MUSH). This particular survey is an imaging of MUSH, hence iMUSH. I expect a chemical analysis survey would be called cMUSH, and a simular set of surveys in Rainier would be called iMUR and cMUR.

Swift
2014-Jul-11, 07:16 PM
Would a program to do a chemical analysis of rocks under St. Helens be cRUSH? ;)

Ara Pacis
2014-Jul-12, 05:46 AM
Would a program to do a chemical analysis of rocks under St. Helens be cRUSH? ;)

Well, magma often seem to glow orange...

dgavin
2014-Jul-19, 12:00 PM
Just a bit of minor news, with the placing of no 67 seismographs around St. Helens region, for the iMush experiment, many unnoticed quakes are now not going unnoticed. Sometimes more is better. Can view the quake repot here from the PNSN http://www.pnsn.org/earthquakes/recent