PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPad

kevin1981
2014-Jul-12, 11:37 AM
Hellooo I am going to buy an Apple iPad on Monday, but i have a couple of questions and i was hoping someone on here has one and can help me.

I am going to buy the retina display one as i am going to take it on my travels to take lots of photos. At least that is the idea. But i am wondering if 5 mega pixels is good enough. Do you think using an iPad with 5 mega pixels is good enough for taking good photos or should i invest in a digital camera with more pixels ? The reason i am thinking about taking an iPad is for convenience. It is easy to take photos with and then load them up to the internet quickly. Plus, it is like having a laptop.

Also, can i use a dongle with it. I do not fancy buying the cellular one as i do not want to enter into a contract. Or, is it worth buying the cellular one ?

I was also wondering if i can get a GPS App for it as i plan to drive somewhere Monday evening and could do with it !

Cheers for any answers :)

Solfe
2014-Jul-13, 11:51 PM
I use an iPad at work, but dislike using it for pictures. It is sort of bulky.

I only use the wifi and have no problems, so I just don't know if cellular is better or worse. The cellular one also has wifi, so I would think it would be more versatile.

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-14, 12:11 AM
If you want a camera, get a camera! Otherwise, get a tablet computer for the other functions and use the camera as the occasion suits. It won't be as handy as a decent pocket camera, nor as versatile, nor make as good of pictures.

Not sure what you mean by a "dongle". That used to be a device you had to attach to a PC to make expensive software run. I'm not familiar with the iPad but you can probably attach it to a computer with a USB cable, but not plug a thumb drive into it.

Don't know about the iPad, but our Samsung tablet came with GPS as standard.

pzkpfw
2014-Jul-14, 12:44 AM
If you want a camera, get a camera! Otherwise, get a tablet computer for the other functions and use the camera as the occasion suits. It won't be as handy as a decent pocket camera, nor as versatile, nor make as good of pictures.

Not sure what you mean by a "dongle". That used to be a device you had to attach to a PC to make expensive software run. I'm not familiar with the iPad but you can probably attach it to a computer with a USB cable, but not plug a thumb drive into it.

Don't know about the iPad, but our Samsung tablet came with GPS as standard.

Dongle has come to mean many kinds of little add-on hardware, not just the licensing thing.

In this case, you can get little USB connected cellular interfaces. Stick a SIM card in, get a contract, and give your Android tablet a cellular connection. I don't know if they can be bought for iPads.

Another useful dongle, which I have seen advertised for iPads, is a thing that plugs into the iPad and lets you stick in a memory card out of a camera. (Sometimes the camera direct). This is the way I'd go. Even an average digital camera will be better and more convenient than an iPad for picture taking. At night in the comfort of the Hotel (or whatever), connect the camera (or card) to the iPad and do the editing, emailing etc.

(My Daughter worked at DisneyWorld for a year. Apparently the staff generally dislike the people taking pictures with iPads.)

novaderrik
2014-Jul-14, 04:46 AM
don't pay the premium for the privilege of owning an Apple product- get a Samsung tablet that runs Droid instead..
this way, you are letting a different corporate entity (google) track you just like Apple does with their products, but you are paying less money for the privilege. also, the hardware is better.

Heid the Ba'
2014-Jul-14, 09:33 AM
Get a keyboard case for it, I have no idea what the correct term is but it is a had case that is also a keyboard. The iPad slots in and connects via Bluetooth. It turns it into something useful rather than a toy. I have never managed to take good photos with an iPad, but that might be me. I see plenty of tourists using them as cameras.

Solfe
2014-Jul-14, 10:24 PM
Is this a mini iPad or full size? Taking pictures with a full size iPad is ridiculous. It works but you look like you are using a legal pad to take pictures.

redshifter
2014-Jul-14, 10:33 PM
If you're serious about taking great pictures, get a digital SLR camera with a decent sized CCD chip and a real lens. Anything else is a compromise IMO; at least as far as 'serious' photography goes.

PetersCreek
2014-Jul-14, 10:34 PM
I don't care what I look like when I'm taking a picture...unless I'm in the picture while I'm taking it. That would be a selfie and I don't do those as a general rule. Given the choice between my iPhone and my iPad, I'll take a snap with the iPad. Its camera is better than my older 4s and I find the larger format makes framing and leveling easier.

LotusExcelle
2014-Jul-14, 11:33 PM
If you're serious about taking great pictures, get a digital SLR camera with a decent sized CCD chip and a real lens. Anything else is a compromise IMO; at least as far as 'serious' photography goes.
CMOS, not CCD.

redshifter
2014-Jul-15, 12:11 AM
CMOS, not CCD.

I though most digital cameras used CCD chips?

kevin1981
2014-Jul-15, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I have brought an iPad mini and a digital camera. I know they will both come in handy and i am confident i have made the right decision. Cellular means i can put a sim card in it, so i can use the internet anywhere, not just from wifi. And, i do not need a contract, i can pay for it as i go, which is what i was hoping for.(Though, the sim wont work in India, but thats okay).

Regarding the camera, i decided i wanted something half decent but small and compact. Not necessarily because of space saving but more because of the fact that i did not want to be waving around anything too flashy. Also, like it has been pointed out here, it is just common sense at the end of the day, if i am going to take lots of pictures then i might as well invest a little on a nice camera. I could of spent more but for what i want, i am happy with this one.

The Sony EX350.. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/sony-wx350-1240071/review

Amber Robot
2014-Jul-15, 05:19 PM
I was at a wedding when I saw some people using an iPad to take photos. Most of the photos I saw looked blurred because it was difficult to hold it steady as well as required longer exposures in indoor lighting conditions due to the lack of a flash. Maybe newer iPads have a flash. I was not impressed with the photos they took. A retina display will make the photos that you do take look awesome though, as my photos look better on my iPhone 5 than I had ever seen them before.

Most digital cameras these days use CMOS because CMOS has gotten fairly inexpensive to make while still meeting the sizes and noise characteristics necessary for consumer SLRs.

Trebuchet
2014-Jul-15, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I have brought an iPad mini and a digital camera.

I think you've made a good decision. See if you can use the same sort of flash memory card in both devices. That would make it easy to transfer files.

kevin1981
2014-Jul-15, 08:44 PM
I was trying my iPad out last night and thought to myself that it does not take very good photos due to me not being able to hold it very well. The ipad has a device where i can plug the camera SD card straight into it, so uploading my pictures should be fairly easy.

Once i have had my inoculations i will be booking a flight, hopefully for the end of August !

PetersCreek
2014-Jul-15, 09:40 PM
The ipad has a device where i can plug the camera SD card straight into it, so uploading my pictures should be fairly easy.

If you have a cellular-enabled model, I think you're looking at the sim card receptacle. To my knowledge, none of the iPad models accept any type of flash card. My full size model doesn't.

Amber Robot
2014-Jul-15, 09:46 PM
If you have a cellular-enabled model, I think you're looking at the sim card receptacle. To my knowledge, none of the iPad models accept any type of flash card. My full size model doesn't.

He did say "device". There's an adapter you can get that allows you to plug an SD card right into the ipad. This then brings up a page that allows you to import photos to the ipad. i've done this and it's very straightforward to transfer photos from your camera to the ipad.

kevin1981
2014-Jul-15, 10:38 PM
He did say "device". There's an adapter you can get that allows you to plug an SD card right into the ipad. This then brings up a page that allows you to import photos to the ipad. i've done this and it's very straightforward to transfer photos from your camera to the ipad.

Yes, that is correct. Then i can upload some to drop box and the dreaded Facebook. I am keen to upload my favourites just incase i do lose my camera and iPad.

I am glad it is straight forward, that is good to hear !

PetersCreek
2014-Jul-15, 11:42 PM
Ah...well...never mind then. :whistle:

Heid the Ba'
2014-Jul-16, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reply's. I have brought an iPad mini and a digital camera. I know they will both come in handy and i am confident i have made the right decision. Cellular means i can put a sim card in it, so i can use the internet anywhere, not just from wifi. And, i do not need a contract, i can pay for it as i go, which is what i was hoping for.(Though, the sim wont work in India, but thats okay).

You should be able to pick up a cheap package in India if you want one. I haven't done it but I know people who have.

kevin1981
2014-Jul-16, 01:53 PM
That is very helpful to know, thanks. When i get there i will ask about it :)

Time Traveler
2014-Sep-14, 09:45 PM

Have to agree with this. I have a Canon Rebel T3i....also have the iPad but like someone said they are a little bulky for pictures.