PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Zoo Forum closure

EigenState
2014-Jul-12, 09:07 PM
Greetings,

After 7 years of operation leading to numerous contributions to astronomy and a host of peer-reviewed publications, the Galaxy Zoo Forum (http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/) has been closed. The closure was rather abrupt to the chagrin of the faithful membership. According to management, the forum content will remain in an archived, read-only format.

The stalwart members of that community are attempting to remain in contact and to continue to contribute to citizen science. Their new home can be found at http://nemesisrising.freeforums.org/ which is admittedly in its very formative stage.

To those here who might have been involved with Galaxy Zoo, or who might have some general interest, please feel free to drop by the new forum.

Best regards,
ES

slang
2014-Jul-13, 10:26 PM
That's very sad. Has anything been published about why this had to happen?

EigenState
2014-Jul-13, 10:54 PM
Greetings,

That's very sad. Has anything been published about why this had to happen?

The official announcement (http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=hrs344m0k03uqsb84v1lebcti2&topic=281962.msg662378#new) for what it is worth.

Best regards,
ES

Swift
2014-Jul-13, 11:00 PM
At least one member of the Galaxy Zoo forum approached the Moderation Team about "moving" here, at least temporarily (they mentioned temporarily, we didn't). We invited them to join CQ and to become active here; even starting discussions about Galaxy Zoo in appropriate sections. We never heard further from them and they seem to have taken a different path.

May the Force be with them.

slang
2014-Jul-13, 11:04 PM
The official announcement (http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=hrs344m0k03uqsb84v1lebcti2&topic=281962.msg662378#new) for what it is worth.

Thanks for saving me a search. So, not enough action to make it worth keeping active, in their eyes. Making the former users there Hanny's Lijdend Voorwerp... Oh well, they're welcome here, of course.

EigenState
2014-Jul-13, 11:10 PM
Greetings,

At least one member of the Galaxy Zoo forum approached the Moderation Team about "moving" here, at least temporarily (they mentioned temporarily, we didn't). We invited them to join CQ and to become active here; even starting discussions about Galaxy Zoo in appropriate sections. We never heard further from them and they seem to have taken a different path.

May the Force be with them.

I had suggested moving over here from the outset of discussions (a mad flurry of personal messages). There was a true sense of abandonment and even panic leading to a fast response by what I believe to be an individual member. Was ist man zu tun?

Best regards,
ES

slang
2014-Jul-13, 11:16 PM
Was ist man zu tun?

Den World Cup gewinnen. Alles anderes ist nur kwatsch.

Lovethetropics
2014-Jul-14, 02:33 AM
Hi everyone, new to this forum. EigenState kindly sent me the link.
ES, I can see possibilities here. Thank you :D

Lovethetropics
2014-Jul-14, 02:36 AM
ES, do we have to wait for mod approval every time we post?

HenrikOlsen
2014-Jul-14, 11:08 AM
ES, do we have to wait for mod approval every time we post?
Only until you're no longer a Newbie and only if your post contains specific trigger words.
It's an anti-spam measurement that works very well and will soon be over for you if you just go about using the forum.

EigenState
2014-Jul-14, 12:43 PM
Hi everyone, new to this forum. EigenState kindly sent me the link.
ES, I can see possibilities here. Thank you :D

Welcome!

Swift
2014-Jul-14, 01:39 PM
Only until you're no longer a Newbie and only if your post contains specific trigger words.
It's an anti-spam measurement that works very well and will soon be over for you if you just go about using the forum.

Hi Lovethetropics, welcome to CQ.

Actually, for all practical purposes, the trigger words don't matter all that much. The major control is post count. Once you get past a certain number of posts (and you are no longer a "newbie"), posts won't wait on moderator approval.

All of this is part of our anti-spam measures.

Lovethetropics
2014-Jul-14, 02:32 PM
Thank you all for the welcome. It's a relief that after being a newbie you can post immediately.
We started a forum, 15 members as of today but the webmaster will be unavailable until today or next Monday (couldn't understand what he wrote) so we're a little lost right now. We have no admins or mods. :confused:

Swift
2014-Jul-14, 02:53 PM
Thank you all for the welcome. It's a relief that after being a newbie you can post immediately.
We started a forum, 15 members as of today but the webmaster will be unavailable until today or next Monday (couldn't understand what he wrote) so we're a little lost right now. We have no admins or mods. :confused:
I would guess that with 15 members you probably don't need any moderators; I would think 15 people could police themselves. But if you grow, that might change. As far as administration, can the webmaster deal with any of the "nuts and bolts" issues?

As already mentioned, you are more than welcome here, whether your new forum proceeds or not. We have an Astronomy section where you could start some threads on Galaxy Zoo, though keep in mind that all of our members here could post in such threads (but it might recruit some new interest in Galaxy Zoo). If you need some private communications, you can use PMs or create a Group.

Lovethetropics
2014-Jul-14, 03:01 PM
Well it's not a problem to "police ourselves", we can't start new threads or anything. And if we get spammers we can't do anything about them until the webmaster reappears.

Lovethetropics
2014-Jul-14, 03:06 PM
Thank you so much Swift for your generosity, I still haven't talked with the other 14 members about this site but I will do it shortly. You have incredible numbers of active members and I see that Pamela Gay is here? She is a lovely person, we are zoofriends.

jokergirl
2014-Jul-14, 03:11 PM
Hello Lovethetropics! I think I've seen you around at the GZ before (I haven't checked in there for a while). Make yourself comfortable!

;)

Jeff Root
2014-Jul-14, 04:06 PM
I've never participated in Galaxy Zoo. Do I understand
correctly that Galaxy Zoo itself is still operating the same
as ever, it is only the discussion which has dwindled?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

EigenState
2014-Jul-14, 04:36 PM
Greetings,

I've never participated in Galaxy Zoo. Do I understand
correctly that Galaxy Zoo itself is still operating the same
as ever, it is only the discussion which has dwindled?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

The citizen science projects are still active, bundled under the name of Zooniverse. Those activities now have a "Talk" site for exchanging information, ideas, and so forth.

The Galaxy Zoo forum itself has been effectively shutdown but is supposed to remain available as a read-only archive. For how long remains to be seen.

Best regards,
ES

Jeff Root
2014-Jul-14, 05:11 PM
Is the talk site for Zooniverse somehow more limited than
the Galaxy Zoo discussion forum? Why was the Zooniverse
site started?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

EigenState
2014-Jul-14, 05:21 PM
Greetings,

Is the talk site for Zooniverse somehow more limited than
the Galaxy Zoo discussion forum? Why was the Zooniverse
site started?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

The following are nothing more than my personal opinions.

I find the "Talk" site much more restricted, much more difficult to find information for example. But it also lacks history and a sense of real community--a lot of science happened in the old forum and it was the place where a lot of laymen came face to face with the researchers, mostly for the good I think.

The Zooniverse was created to provide an umbrella organization to cover an increasing, and increasingly diverse number of citizen science projects. Galaxy Zoo was of course the first of those projects.

Best regards,
ES

Lovethetropics
2014-Jul-14, 10:14 PM
Hello Lovethetropics! I think I've seen you around at the GZ before (I haven't checked in there for a while). Make yourself comfortable!

;)

Hey I remember you jokergirl! From Germany? Thanks :D

HenrikOlsen
2014-Jul-15, 08:38 AM
You have incredible numbers of active members and I see that Pamela Gay is here?
She's only here as an absentee landlord, no active participation.

Cory
2014-Jul-17, 05:58 PM
Pamela Gay actually develops /admins the cosmoquest site. We were both a part the Galaxy Zoo team years ago, but wanted to concentrate more on the community. We merged with the massive BAUT forum to keep it funded and running, but it's not as intimidating as it looks. Think of it more as a warehouse-sized ballpit full of bouncy planets and stars, full of puppies holding pictures of space and journal articles in their mouths.

I like the idea of Talk, but it's not an all-encompassing communication tool. It's entirely built around talking about Zoo images, which is awesome and useful, but I think they need more than just that. I think it was originally more integrated with the forum, but they decided to separate the two for good reasons, but yeah, unfortunate.

As Swift said, you're free to use the site to your desires if you ever need it, even just until you get your own forum moving.

EigenState
2014-Jul-17, 06:10 PM
Greetings,

As Swift said, you're free to use the site to your desires if you ever need it, even just until you get your own forum moving.

Thank you Cory.

Best regards,
ES

Georgia
2014-Jul-17, 06:33 PM
Hi Lovethetropics!
I remember you from "long ago in a Galaxy Zoo far, far away... " ;-)
Welcome--please hang around here as long as you'd like!
Georgia

Swift
2014-Jul-17, 06:58 PM
Think of it more as a warehouse-sized ballpit full of bouncy planets and stars, full of puppies holding pictures of space and journal articles in their mouths.

I have read many descriptions of BABB/BAUT/CQ over the years, both positive and negative, but that one is unique. :D

Lovethetropics
2014-Aug-06, 03:32 PM
Hi Lovethetropics!
I remember you from "long ago in a Galaxy Zoo far, far away... " ;-)
Welcome--please hang around here as long as you'd like!
Georgia

Hey Georgia, long time no see! So happy to find you here. Hugs :D