PDA

View Full Version : Parental Unit Malfunctions

Solfe
2014-Aug-02, 11:34 PM
We have a thread for parenting mistakes and horror stories from the media, but this thread is much more benign. This isn't the bad stuff that can happen, more of the crazy "What the heck?" moments.

I just went shopping. We have chips, pretzels, popsicles, grapes, apples, yogurt, cookies and any number of other snack foods in the house. What do my kids decide to have as a snack? Ring peppers, lettuce and pickles. Not mixed up like a salad, but in separate bowls on a picnic blanket in the middle of the living room and they used chop sticks to eat them. What the heck? That is just weird.

Swift
2014-Aug-03, 02:39 AM
Ring peppers, lettuce and pickles. Not mixed up like a salad, but in separate bowls on a picnic blanket in the middle of the living room and they used chop sticks to eat them. What the heck? That is just weird.
Sounds like my wife; she seems to eat the weirdest stuff for snacks, like Brussels sprouts.

LookingSkyward
2014-Aug-03, 03:18 AM
actually, I'd consider that a win! full points for imagination, and the chopstick bonus.

Moose
2014-Aug-03, 01:11 PM
Yup. The chopsticks were a nice touch. :)

Solfe
2014-Aug-03, 01:36 PM
The just caught me off guard again. We are playing Force Unleashed. When you defeat an enemy, these glowing things fly out of the bad guy and heal your character. I wasn't expecting that and said "What are those?"

In unison, the kids answered: "Pina Coladas!"

I asked them a few questions and determined that they have no idea what a pina colada is, other than something that happens when it rains.

Moose
2014-Aug-04, 03:13 AM

*lol* You have epic kids, Solfe.

Swift
2014-Aug-04, 01:46 PM
The just caught me off guard again. We are playing Force Unleashed. When you defeat an enemy, these glowing things fly out of the bad guy and heal your character. I wasn't expecting that and said "What are those?"

I asked them a few questions and determined that they have no idea what a pina colada is, other than something that happens when it rains.
Did Rupert Holmes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_(The_Pi%C3%B1a_Colada_Song)) do the music for Force Unleashed?

Gillianren
2014-Aug-04, 02:48 PM
Just before we left Friday, one of my best friends, with whom I work faire, said she'd finished knitting Simon a stuffed turtle. So even though I'd said my goodbyes already, we came inside to give it to Simon. He then realized I was leaving and burst into tears Graham had to deal with. I'm clever sometimes.

Trebuchet
2014-Aug-05, 12:02 AM
Just before we left Friday, one of my best friends, with whom I work faire, said she'd finished knitting Simon a stuffed turtle. So even though I'd said my goodbyes already, we came inside to give it to Simon. He then realized I was leaving and burst into tears Graham had to deal with. I'm clever sometimes.

Awwww.

Solfe
2014-Aug-05, 01:42 AM

Ouch!

Our middle child would wake at exactly 11:20 pm for his bottle. I would have just enough time to turn on the lights, get the bottle and the cloth before my wife came in from work to sweep him away from me. He is still a momma's little punk, 9 years later.

My wife loves it because if he needs something in the middle of the night, he will wake me up but also tell my wife "don't worry, I got dad working on it." It doesn't matter if it is a nightmare or puke, he still tell her it is ok. She always feared that the kids would relate more to me as a stay at home dad over her.

Noclevername
2014-Aug-05, 02:04 AM
She always feared that the kids would relate more to me as a stay at home dad over her.
It's quite unlikely that they will relate to her as a stay at home dad. Maybe if she grew a beard?

Solfe
2014-Sep-20, 02:22 AM
I've had another malfunction. My daughter brought home a note advising that her classroom was raffling off three slugs in a self-contained eco-system. This raffle was rigged. The note was actually asking permission to send these critters home. It turns out that my wife and I were the only parents who agreed to have this eco-system sent home.

At some point my daughter named the three slugs: Amy Pond, River Song and Bob.

I asked "Bob?" and she replied that he was named after the angel from Doctor Who. My wife spun on me and said "I hope you are proud."

Yes. Yes I am.

DaveC426913
2014-Sep-20, 02:59 AM
I've had another malfunction. My daughter brought home a note advising that her classroom was raffling off three slugs in a self-contained eco-system. This raffle was rigged. The note was actually asking permission to send these critters home. It turns out that my wife and I were the only parents who agreed to have this eco-system sent home.

At some point my daughter named the three slugs: Amy Pond, River Song and Bob.

I asked "Bob?" and she replied that he was named after the angel from Doctor Who. My wife spun on me and said "I hope you are proud."

Yes. Yes I am.

:rofl: