PDA

View Full Version : Above and beyond the Status Quo

Gorn
2014-Aug-03, 07:40 PM
Hello..hopefully I am not being too redundant. I think I have heard that there is maybe 6000 astrophysicists at work in the world. That is somewhat of a small number.

Is there any logic in bringing a larger group of amateurs together to help them work on the theory's or problems they have.

Thx
G

Shaula
2014-Aug-03, 08:00 PM
Only if the amateurs first educate themselves to the right level. At least undergraduate level physics and maths, preferably post grad level

Jens
2014-Aug-03, 11:05 PM
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that a lot of even theoretical work in astrophysics is ultimately based on observation, so perhaps funding more observatories would also be a way to contribute to their work. Or do stuff like the galaxy zoo project to provide basic data.

Trebuchet
2014-Aug-03, 11:32 PM
Hello..hopefully I am not being too redundant. I think I have heard that there is maybe 6000 astrophysicists at work in the world. That is somewhat of a small number.

Is there any logic in bringing a larger group of amateurs together to help them work on the theory's or problems they have.

Thx
G

To do theoretical work? No. As Shaula says, they don't have the background. These are people who've spent a lifetime digging deeper and deeper into less and less. The results of amateurs attempting to do so can be seen in the ATM forum.

To help with observations? Absolutely. And in addition to Galaxy Zoo, mentioned above, there are multiple citizen science projects associated with this forum.

ETA: And isn't this thread a trifle redundant?

Swift
2014-Aug-04, 01:14 AM
Hello..hopefully I am not being too redundant.
You are being too redundant. You started this thread (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?152639-Volunteer%28ed%29-theoretical-physics) in OTB yesterday, and that thread is still open. I cannot imagine any good reason to have a second thread on the exact same topic, not to mention several similar threads on volunteers and science. You are approaching the level of spamming and disruptive behavior and have earned a Friendly Reminder infraction