PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Productivity (or a lack thereof)

PetersCreek
2014-Aug-04, 05:18 AM
What did you accomplish during your weekend? Or did you creatively goof off? Whatever you did, post it here.

For me, it was a fairly busy weekend. Saturday morning started off with a little fishing at a new spot for me, close to home. That's 'close to home' as in, hop on the highway, hop off at the next exit about a mile down the road, and fish in the shadow of my mountain.

http://www.brettluna.com/img/s7/v155/p73808245-3.jpg

I caught two 12-inch rainbows within 30 minutes and then the rest came down with a case of lockjaw. So, after another hour or so, I packed it in and went home to take care of a few other things. One of the main items on my list was to continue our staircase remodel. I laid underlayment and tile on the landing last weekend and it just needed grouting to call that phase done. But first, I pulled out the table saw, cut a temporary nosing, and installed it, then threw down the grout, and went through 5-6 buckets of water wiping it down.

http://www.brettluna.com/img/s12/v178/p973886195-3.jpg

Next, I had to get some salmon ready for smoking. A friend asked me to smoke several sockeye salmon (reds!) filets for her and to keep some for my trouble. I put a brine together and while that was simmering, I tweezed the pin bones from the filets and portioned them up. Reds are my favorite salmon and these filets were so pretty, I couldn't help trimming a piece for a bite of sashimi. Then I brined the fiish, racked them in the fridge to dry overnight, and moved on to prepping dinner: burgers on the grill. Whew!

Sunday mornings are usually my morning to cook a full breakfast but The WifeŽ offered to cook and I took her up on it. I used the 'time off' to set up the smoker...and the canopy too, since it was raining...and get the fish started with alder smoke. After a very tasty breakfast casserole, we drove in to town to run a few errands while the fish cold smoked. When we came home, I cranked up the heat to finish them off and eventually got them vacuum sealed.

http://www.brettluna.com/img/s12/v175/p743772084-3.jpg

Not the most strenuous weekend I've had but I stayed good and busy.

Swift
2014-Aug-04, 01:43 PM
Saturday we met with the real estate broker who is going to sell our old house. We went for wildflower hike with the park system that got cut short by torrential rain. And we bought a new vacuum cleaner - the old one finally died after about 15 years.

Sunday I volunteered at the nature center all day. Did a little decluttering Sunday night, but not much.

Trebuchet
2014-Aug-04, 02:42 PM
Saturday was great. I worked much of the day on my new catapult and made good progress, which ironically but productively involved more disassembly of new and old bits than assembly of new ones. Yesterday we had to come back to the primary residence (anyone want a house in Everett, WA?) but we'll head back to the alternate tomorrow. It's cooler there. It was near 90F in Everett yesterday. And already too warm this morning.

Gillianren
2014-Aug-04, 02:53 PM
I was assured by the Weather Channel's website last I looked that it will be cooler next weekend. Which is good, because I was not a happy camper this weekend. I think I would have been fine if it would have just made up its mind about the humidity. It kept going from not so bad to desperate and back, over and over, all day. We saw thunderheads, and even lightning, but they were north of us and we didn't get rain. Not that we want the lightning at faire, because large amounts of guys wearing metal, but still.

It was nice, though. I hadn't really worked faire in two years; I daytripped the first Saturday last year so various people could meet Simon, but he was three weeks old at the time, and camping with him seemed like a pretty terrible idea. This weekend, I left him with Graham and had time completely to myself. Which I mostly put in working, reading, and sleeping. We all went to bed early Saturday night, because we are none of us as young as we used to be, and we'd all had a pretty rough few days before, sleepwise. My faire boss delicately explained some things about why he broke up with his girlfriend, and a lot of us cheerfully extrapolated from there and had private celebrations.

Heid the Ba'
2014-Aug-04, 03:00 PM
Friday night was curry and beer on the way home.

Saturday morning was a trip to a convention in Edinburgh, curry for lunch with friends. Afternoon and evening I was through in Glasgow watching the end of the athletics at The Commie Games and home by 2230.

Sunday morning was taken up with odd jobs about the house, made pizza for an early dinner and back to Glasgow for The Commies closing ceremony, home by midnight.

Fairly hectic but not as bad as the weekend before which involved an Edinburgh - Dublin - Cork - Dublin - Edinburgh day trip.

KaiYeves
2014-Aug-04, 03:23 PM
I visited the local aquarium with a friend for the first time in two years, took roughly 500 photographs there if my Dropbox is to be believed, learned about discus fish and pet an alligator. That night, I helped cheer up a young friend of my family who had broken his arm. On Sunday, I spent six hours reading in the library and then did a chapter in my GRE Review Book. I also was very successful this weekend with a roleplay blog (You create a blog for your character, and other people ask your character questions or talk to her, which you answer. It's a great writing aid.) I have started on another site.

Trebuchet
2014-Aug-04, 04:22 PM
I was assured by the Weather Channel's website last I looked that it will be cooler next weekend. Which is good, because I was not a happy camper this weekend. I think I would have been fine if it would have just made up its mind about the humidity. It kept going from not so bad to desperate and back, over and over, all day. We saw thunderheads, and even lightning, but they were north of us and we didn't get rain. Not that we want the lightning at faire, because large amounts of guys wearing metal, but still.

It was nice, though. I hadn't really worked faire in two years; I daytripped the first Saturday last year so various people could meet Simon, but he was three weeks old at the time, and camping with him seemed like a pretty terrible idea. This weekend, I left him with Graham and had time completely to myself. Which I mostly put in working, reading, and sleeping. We all went to bed early Saturday night, because we are none of us as young as we used to be, and we'd all had a pretty rough few days before, sleepwise. My faire boss delicately explained some things about why he broke up with his girlfriend, and a lot of us cheerfully extrapolated from there and had private celebrations.

Oh gosh, your Faire! I need to be making some plans. Is it next week you'll have Simon there?

redshifter
2014-Aug-04, 06:29 PM
I had one of my BEST weekends EVER! My wife was in Anchorage, AK and down in Seward, AK for business and I was able to join her over the weekend. Apologies to PetersCreek, as our itinerary didn't leave time to head up your way. Anyways, we were able to check out Girdwood (a very nice resort village outside Anchorage) and Mt. Alyeska, and drove the Seward Highway; checking out the Exit glacier near Seward on Friday. Then an AMAZING cruise to check out the Aialik glacier and sea life on Saturday. We had stunning weather, and saw sea otters, Orcas, Dahl's porpoises, and even a couple Humpback whales, plus many birds. I guess technically the trip was longer than a weekend, I'll call it a long weekend...If you ever go to Alaska, I HIGHLY recommend spending time on the Kenai peninsula. It's stunningly beautiful! I'm so glad we had such great weather! One woman on our cruise commented she'd been on quite a few of them, and this was the first with good weather.

I'll post pics when I get a chance. I've got some pretty good ones.

Gillianren
2014-Aug-04, 07:28 PM
Oh gosh, your Faire! I need to be making some plans. Is it next week you'll have Simon there?

It is. We are planning to make sure that, if it doesn't go well, we can take him home, but I'm hoping it'll go well and he'll stay all weekend.

PetersCreek
2014-Aug-04, 07:29 PM
I had one of my BEST weekends EVER! My wife was in Anchorage, AK and down in Seward, AK for business and I was able to join her over the weekend. Apologies to PetersCreek, as our itinerary didn't leave time to head up your way.

I'm sorry you didn't have time to meet up...Peters Creek is actually within the Municipality of Anchorage and my office is a 2- or 3-minute stroll from the TSAIA terminal...but I'm glad you had a great time...and great weather. If you ever make another trip, I highly recommend taking a right at the Sterling Highway and driving down to Kenai/Soldotna, if not all the way to Homer. The KP really is a jewel and the scenery only gets better as your head farther south.

redshifter
2014-Aug-04, 07:46 PM
I'm sorry you didn't have time to meet up...Peters Creek is actually within the Municipality of Anchorage and my office is a 2- or 3-minute stroll from the TSAIA terminal...but I'm glad you had a great time...and great weather. If you ever make another trip, I highly recommend taking a right at the Sterling Highway and driving down to Kenai/Soldotna, if not all the way to Homer. The KP really is a jewel and the scenery only gets better as your head farther south.

My wife's work will take her up to AK in the future as well, so I'll have other opportunities to get up there. We definitely plan to explore more of the peninsula. I read where Seward gets around 68 inches of precipitation per year, while some towns on the other side of the peninsula get substantially less. I guess the mountains provide quite a rain shadow for some locations.

Plus I need to try some of that smoked salmon you're making...

Trebuchet
2014-Aug-04, 11:57 PM
I had one of my BEST weekends EVER! My wife was in Anchorage, AK and down in Seward, AK for business and I was able to join her over the weekend....

My only visit to Alaska: In 1973, about a year after I got out of the Army, I got orders to report (as a reservist) for "Annual Summer Training". In January, of 1974. I joked to my parents that it would probably be Fort Richardson, Alaska. A couple of weeks later I got the final orders. Fort Richardson it was. It was not a great two weeks for me, although it could have been worse. They had five of us, all payroll clerks, making out pay vouchers for the Alaska National Guard. This was a scout division, all Native Alaskans, doing their "summer training" in the winter. Which, unusually for the Army, makes pretty good sense when you think about it.

Trebuchet
2014-Aug-04, 11:59 PM
It is. We are planning to make sure that, if it doesn't go well, we can take him home, but I'm hoping it'll go well and he'll stay all weekend.

Great! Planning on returning to Everett on Friday then heading down to Bonney Lake on Saturday and on to Port Townsend in the PM. Looking forward to meeting young Lord Simon.