PDA

View Full Version : Mars Movie Action Flick

Gorn
2014-Aug-11, 09:58 PM
Hello..if someone on Mars happened to be a movie producer...and one of the reasons for that person's desire to go there was to make the movie in the first place...does
the fact that the person is actually on Mars..add to the movies' money making potential?

Is there any kind of buzz or bling that could help a director make a lot of money from a movie..by actually being in the real place itself...the place being Mars?

Thanks for any and all responses
Bye
G
P.S. I have heard of George Lucas traveling to Tunisia in North Africa and other exotic locales to make his movies..I wonder if there is any similar motivations to locate oneself on Mars to make a movie.

redshifter
2014-Aug-11, 10:32 PM
Filming on Mars would likely add to the movie's money making potential, though it would also be rather expensive to make...

Noclevername
2014-Aug-12, 04:00 AM
A CG background is cheaper.

KaiYeves
2014-Aug-12, 03:21 PM
I was too young at the time to have first-hand memories, but I've read that the fact that some of the opening scenes of Titanic were filmed underwater on the wreck of the actual Titanic was used in the marketing campaign for the movie. Is this true?

Noclevername
2014-Aug-12, 04:46 PM
I was too young at the time to have first-hand memories, but I've read that the fact that some of the opening scenes of Titanic were filmed underwater on the wreck of the actual Titanic was used in the marketing campaign for the movie. Is this true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_(1997_film)#Pre-production
Cameron convinced Fox to promote the film based on the publicity afforded by shooting the Titanic wreck itself,[45] and organized several dives to the site over a period of two years.

...The crew shot at the real wreck in the Atlantic Ocean twelve times in 1995 and actually spent more time with the ship than its passengers.

If anyone would fly to Mars to make a movie, it would probably be James Cameron.

NEOWatcher
2014-Aug-12, 05:19 PM
Lucas (and others) going to exotic places is probably cost effective when you balance in the vast sets or CGI needed to simulate those exotic places.

Cameron coupled his shots with an actual research project. The research almost could have stood alone.

Space travel just sounds like a losing proposition.

Even the Titanic gross income (including non-ticket sales) was $3.4B, or about the cost of a Mars mission. I don't know how much of that was actual profit. So; even the highest grossing film ever made (per wiki...kind of) would have trouble breaking even.

Mars One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One) want's to do something similar... They want to raise the money by making it a reality show. After 4 years of operation, they have only been able to raise 0.1% of what they need.

So; my final answer is no.

DonM435
2014-Aug-12, 05:20 PM
Would the producer use the exotic locale, or would he go and build a one-horse town and shoot a conventional "Western" there? Or do some noir thing set entirely in one motel room? But, on Mars!

That would be funny!

Gorn
2014-Aug-12, 06:16 PM
Re: NeoWatcher. What if James Cameron, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, "Clint Eastwood?" Francis Ford Copola, Robert Wise, Glen Larson (remember him) and Disney Studios got together and made a movie for the ages ....possible? .......

Lets start the petition.

Bye
G.

DonM435
2014-Aug-12, 06:27 PM
No matter how much they spent, some critic or other would pan it. "They didn't have to go out of this world to make a turkey this big ...!"

Gorn
2014-Aug-12, 06:32 PM
Re: DonM435: Don't know how persuasive such a person is..but..I hate to tell you what I think of the average critic.

G.

NEOWatcher
2014-Aug-12, 06:34 PM
Re: NeoWatcher. What if James Cameron, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, "Clint Eastwood?" Francis Ford Copola, Robert Wise, Glen Larson (remember him) and Disney Studios got together and made a movie for the ages ....possible? .......
Lets start the petition.

If they are not donating their own personal money to do it, it doesn't matter how many movie makers you throw at it. It's still a losing proposition.

Noclevername
2014-Aug-12, 06:50 PM
Even the Titanic gross income (including non-ticket sales) was $3.4B, or about the cost of a Mars mission.

But how do we calculate the cost of a Mars mission when we don't even have that capability yet?

FarmMarsNow
2014-Aug-12, 06:56 PM
Send 'State of the Art' robotic cameras and train some of the people who are already going on how to use the cameras. A movie director on Mars might soon become an 'Extra' if you know what I mean.

NEOWatcher
2014-Aug-12, 07:06 PM
But how do we calculate the cost of a Mars mission when we don't even have that capability yet?
Wild speculation and over-optimistic numbers from people like Tito, Musk and Landsdorp.

I'm just stating a hypothetical best-case situation. (I once heard $4B or $5B, but I see even Landsdorp is $6B)

Of course even Landsdorp is a no-return plan. So; they'd have to transmit the footage and consider the crew and actors as dispensable.

Solfe
2014-Aug-12, 07:36 PM
With a Mars locale and CG, you could do just about anything. Personally, I'd push for a Mars based film called "The Secret Life of Jawas". :)

KaiYeves
2014-Aug-13, 12:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_(1997_film)#Pre-production

If anyone would fly to Mars to make a movie, it would probably be James Cameron.

Oh, I'm well aware that the scenes were filmed there, that's in the making-of book, Cameron's own book Exploring the Deep: The Titanic Expeditions, and Rebecca Keegan's biography The Futurist, I just wasn't sure to what extent that fact was used in advertising the movie.

publiusr
2014-Aug-16, 06:31 PM
I seem to remember a Discovery Channel special where a space suit was tested in the desert. It was filmed with two cameras--one a typical modern video--and the other one was film. The grain of the film made it look like a 1970's actual Mars landing.

It was a jarring sensation--sort of like the days when a disaster occurred and the only film of it was a tourists super-8...and it made you think it was historical footage from a half century earlier.

Personally, I'd push for a Mars based film called "The Secret Life of Jawas". :)
With Attenborough narrating no doubt.

Solfe
2014-Aug-16, 06:57 PM
With Attenborough narrating no doubt.

That would be good. :)

Noclevername
2014-Aug-16, 09:06 PM
"Here, we see the Jawa in its natural habitat: a giant mechanized sandcrawler. With others of its kind, it scours the sands of Tattooine looking for its natural prey, crashed spacecraft and wandering droids."