PDA

View Full Version : Just one weekend book

Solfe
2014-Aug-12, 07:39 PM
I am going on a vacation in a couple of weeks. I meant to pick up a book for this trip, but utterly failed to find anything "interesting" at the book store. This was failure of creativity/drive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Paul Beardsley
2014-Aug-12, 08:12 PM
Can you give more of an idea of the kind of book? Fiction or non-fiction, for instance.

pzkpfw
2014-Aug-12, 09:06 PM
War and Peace. I dare you.

Solfe
2014-Aug-12, 09:29 PM
I read both fiction and non-fiction, but haven't purchased a psychical book in years. Mostly, I read science fiction, but could do with a change if the book looked good.

swampyankee
2014-Aug-12, 10:15 PM
Crime & Punishment

Solfe
2014-Aug-12, 10:40 PM
War and Peace. I dare you.

I tried and didn't like it. I did pick up a lot of short stories by Anton Chekhov and enjoyed them a lot. I tried some Kafka but didn't really enjoy him. At about the same time I read some Camus and found that I really enjoyed that.

Perhaps I could say that I really enjoy 19th century writers.

Trebuchet
2014-Aug-12, 11:39 PM
Try some naval historical fiction, starting with Horatio Hornblower and moving on to Patrick O'Brian.

Fazor
2014-Aug-13, 12:13 AM
The Terror by Dan Simmons was a fun read if you like alternative supernatural historical fiction.

KaiYeves
2014-Aug-13, 12:49 AM
Try some naval historical fiction, starting with Horatio Hornblower and moving on to Patrick O'Brian.

Oh yes, I recently read Master and Commander and enjoyed it. It's relatively short, but engrossing.

Trebuchet
2014-Aug-13, 02:56 PM
Oh yes, I recently read Master and Commander and enjoyed it. It's relatively short, but engrossing.

And you were in the correct place for it!

KaiYeves
2014-Aug-13, 04:07 PM
And you were in the correct place for it!

Well, I wasn't at sea...

grant hutchison
2014-Aug-13, 06:13 PM
I read both fiction and non-fiction, but haven't purchased a psychical book in years.Ummm. A "physical" book? Or some specific antipathy to the Society for Psychical Research?

Grant Hutchison

JohnD
2014-Aug-13, 06:30 PM
Solfe,

If you are willing to take a wild stab at something new, Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch, has been reviewed as "Harry Potter joins the Fuzz". It's a police procedural (UK Police) that assumes that magic exists and that criminals may use it. The magic is not aerie-faerie, but analogous to the 'hard' magic proposed by Larry Niven in his The Magic goes Away stories, in that it requires hard study and practice, just as the PC protagonist must learn from his Blackstone's Police Operational Manual to advance in the Police Service. Not serious stuff, but most enjoyable.

Or, if like me you have been dismayed by the rather "psychical" way that SF has developed recently, try Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds. Thoroughly 'hard' science fiction, I enjoyed it very much. Been out since 2005, I've only just discovered it thanks to the gift of the book from my son (the one with the Masters in SF history).

Or, does travel interest you? - you're going away! Try Paddy Leigh-Fermor's extraordinary A Time of Gifts. This is the first part of his walk across Europe, unbeknownst to him in the shadow of WW2. Even eighty years, a World war and a Cold War later, his travel tale sparkles with immediacy.

All, I think, available on Kindle so easy to get in time for your trip.
John

Noclevername
2014-Aug-13, 06:41 PM
Ummm. A "physical" book? Or some specific antipathy to the Society for Psychical Research?

Grant Hutchison

In Soviet Union, book reads you!

Cougar
2014-Aug-14, 01:29 AM
East is East by T.C. Boyle. Or When the Killing's Done, same author. Pure reading enjoyment.

Solfe
2014-Aug-16, 03:43 PM
I'm still here and I like the suggestions. I will checking these out. Keep 'em coming.

I liked the two O'Brian books I read. I should look into the rest of the series.

Cougar
2014-Aug-18, 12:24 PM
More? OK: Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

Trebuchet
2014-Aug-18, 03:09 PM
I'm still here and I like the suggestions. I will checking these out. Keep 'em coming.

I liked the two O'Brian books I read. I should look into the rest of the series.

The plots can be extremely frustrating, and the timeline is ridiculous. But the people are good, and the food! Which inspired this website (http://www.wwnorton.com/pob/spottedd/welcome.htm) and the eponymous book (http://www.amazon.com/Lobscouse-Spotted-Dog-Gastronomic-Companion/dp/0393320944).

Solfe
2014-Aug-28, 04:31 AM
I just spent two hours sipping coffee and wandering the book store with this list in hand. I was able to pick up a book by O'Brian, Terry Brooke's "Princess of Landover" and "The Black Hole War" by Susskind. I almost picked up Our Mathatical Universe by Max Tegmark, but it was more expensive than the three I did pick up. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

(Oh, for the love of books... I just had the O'Brian book in my hands to share the title and now I can't seem to find it. My brain has started the weekend vacation two days early.)

I was slightly disappointed that I could not find any other books on this list, except for Crime and Punishment and War and Peace. I must go on Amazon when I get back from my trip. So many of the suggestions look great, especially "Rivers of London".

I am going to use this post to "name check":

Oryx and Crake
East is East
A Time of Gifts
Crime and Punishment - I think I read parts of it, maybe I need to revisit it. When the Killing's Done
The Terror
Already read:
Pushing Ice - I love Reynolds.
War and Peace - I disliked it. Maybe later.