PDA

View Full Version : Your Library

mike alexander
2004-Dec-31, 09:15 AM
What's in your library?

I'm curious, partly because I'm a bit of a book-hoarder and partly because I go into many homes and see few or no books :(

I've been cleaning up and actually rearranging my books. I started with the science fiction because that seemed the easiest category to do. For the heck of it I decided to count them and ended up just shy of 800.

That's not everything, of course. But are there others out there who are a bit bibliophilic?

darkhunter
2004-Dec-31, 10:56 AM
Two full size boocases of old reference books (1968 Encyclopedia, the Time-Life Old west books, some old science text books...) and three full bookcases of double stacked paperbacks.

I collect older books as I come across them--my oldest is an English (from England) book of law from the 1920's....

Every time I move, my books are what everyone tells me to get rid of :evil: ...

TriangleMan
2004-Dec-31, 11:44 AM
I have perhaps 30 books in a small bookcase. I like using the public library instead of buying books.

Tensor
2004-Dec-31, 02:12 PM
What's in your library?

I'm curious, partly because I'm a bit of a book-hoarder and partly because I go into many homes and see few or no books :(

Don't assume that because you don't see them, they aren't there. I have over 350 books, but most of them are either in my walkin closet (the previous owners put shelves in that are perfect for books) or in my shrank. ( A very large piece of funiture for storage, Kucharek, im sure, knows what it is). About the only books you will see is what I'm currently reading, reference books I have out while working on a pet project, or textbooks.

Candy
2004-Dec-31, 02:38 PM
My latest purchases are...

Bad Astronomy
Bad Medicine (Christoper Wanjek - met him at the AstroFest with the BA)
The Fabric of the Cosmos (LOVE TO MEET THIS MAN)
Visions of the Cosmos (our very own Spacewriter - soon to meet)

And 5 books on Same-Sex Marriage. Goodness, I am glad my LAWS class is over. I got an A, by the way. I'll donate these books to the first book donation I find. :o

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-31, 02:46 PM
I'll donate these books to the first book donation I find.
Are you familiar with Bookcrossings (http://www.bookcrossings.com/)? ("Free your books" :) )

Parrothead
2004-Dec-31, 02:48 PM
I have approx 400+ books on shelves/laying about, a mix of texts, mainly history and politics (I majored in political science/international relations), various books from literature courses, loads of fiction books (varying genres), science/space/astronomy related books, various books containing dessert recipes/baking theory (I have also taken a certificate course in baking and pastry arts). Couldn't say how many more books are packed in boxes.

Candy
2004-Dec-31, 02:55 PM
Are you familiar with Bookcrossings (http://www.bookcrossings.com/)? ("Free your books" :) )
Thanks, pumpkin! 8)

Spacewriter
2004-Dec-31, 03:17 PM
My latest purchases are...

Bad Astronomy
Bad Medicine (Christoper Wanjek - met him at the AstroFest with the BA)
The Fabric of the Cosmos (LOVE TO MEET THIS MAN)
Visions of the Cosmos (our very own Spacewriter - soon to meet)

And 5 books on Same-Sex Marriage. Goodness, I am glad my LAWS class is over. I got an A, by the way. I'll donate these books to the first book donation I find. :o

You'd like Chris Wanjuk, too! Nice guy.

tmosher
2004-Dec-31, 05:38 PM
Books?

Around one-hundred scattered through the apartment. Various subjects - a bunch on sailing, history, World War II, couple of biographies (I'm slowly reading a rather over-detailed Laurel and Hardy biography).

I've got a bad habit of going to Half-Price Books (they're all over the Dallas area) and picking up four or five at a time - can't beat the prices. Most of the books are $5.98 each.

The only thing I dread is carrying them down two flights of stairs when I move in a month.

Tom

2004-Dec-31, 06:29 PM
Piles of old Open Uni books, loads of S. J. Gould, Richard Dawkins, weather books, science books, rubbish books...and, yes, Bad Medicine too.

Each and every-one of them thoroughly read from cover to cover! :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-31, 06:31 PM
I have quite a few, but they are all packed away right now so I don't know about how many. At school my bookshelf is (understandably) math and physics stuff.

Musashi
2004-Dec-31, 06:35 PM
At one point I had over 1500 paperbacks mostly of Sci-Fi and Fantasy stuff. I trimmed that down to around 500-700, but managed to pick up several bookshelves full of History and Literature books in the process. right now I have 3 full sized bookshelves and one half sized as well as two 5 foot shelves in my offce and stack of books on my desk and office floor. I also have about 15 boxes of books stored in various places around the house. There are also me "current reading" books which are stacked up on the nightstands or near the bed .

I (obviously) love books. My favorites right now are the Loeb Classical Library. I have only about 10 or so, but I would like to get many more. I figure they will help me when I decide to learn Greek and Latin.

kylenano
2004-Dec-31, 06:40 PM
I've got four overflowing bookcases - there are books behind the books! I've been acquiring books for thirty years. I gave some away when moving and then wanted them :( I'm buying some again.

I've got Hubble Vision by Spacewriter, Bad Astromony, got The Elegant Universe for Christmas. The books are mainly astronomy, general science, natural history, history, history of science and technology, general reference, several atlases, poetry, fiction, travel - especially New Zealand, some music - especially New Zealand.

The local library sells discarded books at very low prices, and there's a local stationers that sells new books (bestsellers) at substantial discounts, then there are the charity shops, I get books as presents...

ToSeek
2004-Dec-31, 07:09 PM
Three bookcases in my study.
Seven bookcases in my wife's study.
Three bookcases in the bedroom.
Three bookcases in the living room.
One bookcase in the dining room.
Two bookcases in storage.
More books still with our parents.

I have no idea just how many books in all, but I'm sure it's well into four figures.

tmosher
2004-Dec-31, 07:52 PM

I have no idea just how many books in all, but I'm sure it's well into four figures.

Sounds like a friend of mine.

The last time I was at her condo, one upstairs room was solid bookshelves on every wall - floor to ceiling. I believe the count is in the mid four figures.

Kesh
2004-Dec-31, 09:01 PM
I have more books than I can count. Mostly because they're in storage in three different places. I need to find an apartment.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Dec-31, 09:33 PM
I have no idea how many I have, but it's quite a few. Especially since Chapters started selling classics for $3.99 CDN...

Sammy
2004-Dec-31, 09:51 PM
I'm a printed matter packrat! Until we moved 7 years ago (age 58), I had every book I ever acquired (starting at age 7). We moved to a smaller place, so I had to prune the collection. It was painful.

I now have 120 lineal feet of shelves in my home office/ham shack; a four foot wide, 7 foot tall bookcase in the master bedroom, and another 90 feet of floor to ceiling shelving in the livingroom. The shelves are close to capacity. I don't know the number of volumes; a few belong to Mrs. Sammy, but she is not a "keeper" like I am.

The nature of the books ranges from 50/60s SF, science&technology history, biography (mostly of scientists/politicians/military leaders), to modern history (1890-1960s, with a heavy dose of WW1 and WW2). I also collect some vintage magazines (Life, 1939-1946, and ham radio mags from the 30s thru the early 60s). A lot of the mags are in plastic wrap in the garage while I try to think of creative ways to provide more shelf space!

Van Rijn
2004-Dec-31, 10:39 PM
I stopped counting after the first 1000 or so. Lots of science fiction (what I usually read for fun) and computer texts. I have Astounding/Analog magazine complete back to 1954, somewhat hit or miss through the '40s. A good number of books in other subjects, various science, technology, electronics related, english texts, political philosophy, and so on. I don't read as many books as I used to, and current available space is getting a bit overloaded. Ah, well ...

Hamlet
2004-Dec-31, 11:09 PM
We converted a spare room into a library. One wall is covered with a floor to ceiling bookcase plus two other free standing units. We have smaller bookcases in our living room and guest room that contain our more recent acquistions. We have about 1500 books covering many subjects. I'm loath to get rid of any book, although space constraints have made it necessary from time to time. :(

Hamlet
2004-Dec-31, 11:23 PM

My wife and I bought a copy of the BA's book and registered it with Bookcrossings. We placed it at the local planetarium. We know it was taken, but so far no one has logged it. We've also placed a few registered books in various Geocache's (http://www.geocaching.com/). I think it's a cool idea.

Swift
2004-Dec-31, 11:24 PM

Sounds like a friend of mine.

The last time I was at her condo, one upstairs room was solid bookshelves on every wall - floor to ceiling. I believe the count is in the mid four figures.
Sound like me. Though I think ToSeek has me beat.
There are two built-in bookcases in the den, an entertainment center with the stereo and books in the living room, two in my wife's office, two in mine, another one in the basement, piles beside our bed, a row of cookbooks in the kitchen, and lots of my technical books are at work.

I have a genetic excuse, my dad was a librarian. My wife didn't catch the disease from me, so I don't know where she got it. Guess there are worst diseases to have. :D

Brady Yoon
2005-Jan-01, 08:42 AM
Me. :) I have a whole bunch of history books that my dad keeps in my room (he has too much), and lots of astronomy & science books from when I was a little kid, and two bookshelves of encyclopedias, fantasy books, sci-fi, and lots of random stuff.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-01, 08:53 AM
Let's see.

Six floor to almost-ceiling (10 foot ceilings) bookcases in the computer room (most would call it a den) plus a couple shorter ones, four in the family room, four in the master bedroom, and three in each of the other bedrooms.

The current total in the database shows 5194 volumes, but it is in dire need of updating. Hard to describe the collection generally, but it's mostly classic literature, science fiction, science, philosophy, etc. A large number of volumes are from the 1800s, there are about five from the 1700s, and one Deutsche bible from the late 1600s (family heirloom).

Quite a few original editions with author autographs. The one I like the best is the original edition of Gustav Mahler by Bruno Walter.

As with another poster, with the exception of those that arrived from Amazon a week ago, these books have all been read.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-01, 04:01 PM

Four figures (> 1000)--you could fit that many books in five bookcases. (six three foot wide shelves in each bookcase, one inch per book.) I think the proper measurement of a library is running foot of shelf space, no paperbacks.

Joe The Dude
2005-Jan-01, 06:37 PM
When I moved into an apartment, I looked into the e book scene, hoping for a way to scan and burn onto cds my books for easy storage and retrieval with my pc and a wireless pad of some sort, and to buy future books in that format.

At the time, the only pads available had very small screens, not enough features, poor battery life and a price tag that was too high.

I wound up selling most of them to a used bookstore.

Since then the whole e-book scene has been moving into demise, with fewer and fewer publishers releasing new content for that format.

I have yet to see a pad with the screen size I'm hoping for, that of the average closed paperback's cover: 11cm by 17cm (352 x 554 at 72 pixels per inch)

Perhaps if someone were to make a dedicated pad for e-books with that screen size, the industry could be brought back to life.

Fram
2005-Jan-04, 11:10 AM
Books, lots of books. A few hundred 'real' books (fantasy and SF, juvenile, and to a lesser degree art, literature, and other), some three hundred books with illustrations by a rather unknown Flemish illustrator (for the fun of it, no real value in 99 % of them), more than 500 (last count, long time ago) comics (not the American kind, but the European comic books), and somewhere around a 1000 magazines (again, juvenile, comics, and some SF). Not read everything but around 90% of it. Also lots of it in boxes or double rows on the shelves. I have great troubles in getting rid of things. I buy almost everything secondhand, except gifts and some comics.

gethen
2005-Jan-04, 02:40 PM
Too many books--just ask my spouse. They are scattered through several bookcases, under tables, in closets, some have even migrated to our camp in Ontario. There is something of just about everything--natural science, natural history, classics, humor, lots of astronomy and science fiction, etc. There are no romance novels and no religious stuff, but pretty much everything else.

mike alexander
2005-Jan-04, 09:12 PM
I'm not at all surprised at the book level exhibited here. Gratified, though; some people still love them and use them. What impresses me is not the numbers so much as that folks have actually read so many of them. =D>

Now that I've finished the SF section it's time to rearrange the more eclectic parts. Lots of biography, quite a bit of history, a surprising amount of philosophy, quite a few books of essays from all over, and the hard science stuff (A very rough guess says about two thousand, not that the count really matters). My Loren Eiseley collection appeared after an abscence of some time, along with Konrad Lorentz. I just reread Eiseley's "The Star Thrower" last night and as always finished it with tears in my eyes.