PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite Star Trek starship?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Dec-31, 02:54 PM
mine is NCC1701-C
followed by NCC1701-A
and NCC1701-D

my last post of the year

Happy 2005

Ut
2004-Dec-31, 02:55 PM
1701 E. Mmmm, giant warship.

Candy
2004-Dec-31, 02:59 PM
I love the plastic one hanging from an obvious thread during the opening of every original Star Trek episode. :D

Kizarvexis
2004-Dec-31, 03:20 PM
1701 E. Mmmm, giant warship.

Well if you want large warships, you need to look to some of the other Sci-Fi series. ST has some of the smaller ships in Sci-Fi. Here (http://www.merzo.net/index.html) a web page with starship size comparisons.

I like the D-7 Klingon cruiser (ToS), the Romulan Bird of Prey (ToS ep 'Balance of Terror') and the Enterprise NCC-1701 (from the first movie).

Kizarvexis

Ut
2004-Dec-31, 03:47 PM
Yeah, but none of them are the Enterprise.

Mmmm, Enterprise.

Glom
2004-Dec-31, 04:56 PM
The Defiant! 8)

2004-Dec-31, 07:41 PM
I like the Birds of Prey...they have that luminous dayglo green colour that all baddies have these days. :D :D

Gullible Jones
2004-Dec-31, 10:06 PM
Eh? Oh, Suliban cell-ships of course. Pretty good design there - tiny cramped cockpit, heavy armor, no streamlining (who needs it in deep space?), they're armed to the teeth. Only problem is that, when shown next to humans, they seem a bit too small.

Runner-up? The Vulcan cruisers, because they remind me of those ideas for electrogravitic warp ships. Almost retro really, but in a sort of modern way. :lol:

(Retro because things like this (http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/BPP_Art.htm) have approximately a snowflake's chance on Venus of working.)

Van Rijn
2004-Dec-31, 10:53 PM
The Klingon D-7 Battle Cruiser with the NCC-1701 running a close second. I have fond memories of the first series, and I liked the Battle Cruiser model better than the Enterprise model. They both had lights back then, and while I liked the Enterprise, the D-7 was mean. The Federation didn't have a mean spacecraft until the ST:DS9 Defiant. Sure, there are good things to be said for some of the spacecraft in the newer series, but that's what I grew up with. For decades, that was Star Trek. By the way, there's something to be said for simple lines. With the recent stuff, they tend to make the design look too busy for no good reason.

Tobin Dax
2004-Dec-31, 11:20 PM
The Nebula-class is still my favorite class of ship when it comes down to it. The Klingon Bird of Prey would be a close second.

archman
2004-Dec-31, 11:54 PM
I like the Excelsior... very streamlined

Sakura Kinomoto
2005-Jan-01, 06:03 AM
1) Galaxy Class (ENT-D)
2) Soverign Class (ENT-E)

tmosher
2005-Jan-01, 06:21 AM
I've never considered the Enterprise designs (NX through E) to be elegant designs.

Come on, what do you need streamlining for in space? If you're going to go for practicality, a designer uses the simplest form that gets the job done. Think along the lines of an aircraft carrier or ballistic missile submarine - maximum use of space and form that follows function.

Sakura Kinomoto
2005-Jan-01, 06:24 AM
Possibly, but the Enterprise designs are the most powerful things in Starfleet. (The Defiant class is a powerful warship, mind you).

I'll grant you they aren't very space conserving, but .. Consideirng a Galaxy-class crusier can take on a Romulan warbird, which can comfortably hold 3 Excelsior-class ships.. you get the idea.

frenat
2005-Jan-01, 06:25 AM
Borg Cube

Sure the Borg have been beaten back a few times by the Federation but if the Borg ever bothered to come in with a fleet of cubes, then the entire Alpha quadrant wouldn't stand a chance.

Sakura Kinomoto
2005-Jan-01, 06:27 AM
*snort* Not after the DW. And espically not after VOY.

Crazieman
2005-Jan-01, 09:38 AM
1) Defiant
2) Sovereign
3) Galaxy
4) Klingon Bird of Prey

Paul Sandoval
2005-Jan-01, 03:56 PM
"The Enterprise, NCC-1701. No bloody A, B, C, or D."

Moose
2005-Jan-01, 04:51 PM
I'm a fan of most Klingon ships, especially the Vorcha class heavy cruiser (Gowron's ship from TNG: Redemption Part II) and the TNG/DS9 Bird of Prey. Perhaps ironically, though, I'm not much of a fan of the D-7.

Glom
2005-Jan-01, 09:15 PM
Jem'Hadar ships are the coolest alien ships.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-01, 09:33 PM
Hmm... Remember how on DS9 the Defiant was always getting blasted to shreds by the Jem'Hadar, instead of the good guys winning? IIRC the Defiant was only shown blowing up a bogey a few times... Very interesting.

archman
2005-Jan-01, 09:47 PM
Hmm... Remember how on DS9 the Defiant was always getting blasted to shreds by the Jem'Hadar, instead of the good guys winning? IIRC the Defiant was only shown blowing up a bogey a few times... Very interesting.

The Defiant was usually outnumbered and/or outgunned. It had enough forward firepower to blow a Jem 'Hadar gunboat away in one pass, and these ships weren't much smaller than it was.

Any ship with a cloaking device should be an ambush predator. You make a quick kill, and then fade away.

NoXion
2005-Jan-02, 12:22 AM
1) Borg Cubes: big, grungy, and a most practical design

2) Jem'hadar: small and fast but powerful too.

3) The Defiant: because it's one of Starfleet's few proper warships.

Van Rijn
2005-Jan-02, 12:31 AM

That was before they developed shield modifications to deal with Dominion weapons. After that, it could do quite nicely. The Defiant was a pure warship - rare for the Federation, and was repeatedly shown, while alone, taking on, disabling, or destroying multiple Dominion, Cardassian, or Klingon warships, often much larger than it was.

It was designed as a Borg killer, after all.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-02, 12:48 AM
Yes, Defiant was pretty cool, even if it looked a bit ill-suited to its task. Needed a bit more defensive firepower though.

(Star Destroyers of the SW universe were better designed warships... Triangular shap allowed all sid weaponry to focus on targets in front of it, turrets on top, bottom, and rear blasted away attacking ships, and heavy, ugly-looking armor protected the hull... Beautiful design for something from a movie. The exposed bridge was just plain bloody stupid though.)

Hmm... Borg cubes I always thought were not the best design, almost no armor at all... Though I think I've seen pictures of "battleship" cubes, which had thick armor with a strangely large number of holes in it. :-?

Theta Orionis
2005-Jan-02, 02:31 AM
Excelsior, with Captain Sulu.

Crazieman
2005-Jan-02, 09:31 AM
Hmm... Borg cubes I always thought were not the best design, almost no armor at all... Though I think I've seen pictures of "battleship" cubes, which had thick armor with a strangely large number of holes in it. :-?

Tactical Cubes

HAVOC451
2005-Jan-02, 10:12 AM
Delta Flier...
I want one.

Love the Defiant, the Constitution and Galaxy class, and the D-7.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-02, 01:55 PM
Galaxy class is awful design. Pretty but impractical.

Delta flyer could actually work, if it were a bit bigger and a bit skinnier...

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Jan-02, 10:53 PM
Imperial Klingon Cruiser 'Amar.'

Doodler
2005-Jan-03, 03:36 PM
The Galaxy-X class Enterprise from All Good Things.... The third nacelle and cannon finally made that barge look like it meant business. Of course, the NegH'bar class warship introduced there and later seen as Gowron's flagship were pretty sweet.

I also liked the Ent-E as well, it was my recollection that the streamlining of the hulls had to do with shaping the warp fields tighter over the hulls to allow more efficient warp field configurations at higher speeds. Also if you ever get a chance to look at a model, you'll see she presents a VERY slender silhouette.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-03, 09:11 PM
Enterprise E was better design than D... Looks like it might even be able to handle atmosphere.

In general, though, I think all large Federation ships are poorly designed because of the way the warp reactor works - if something breaks, it goes boom instead of shutting down. Also, the placement of the bridge is just dumb.

HerrProfessorDoktor
2005-Jan-03, 09:28 PM
In general, though, I think all large Federation ships are poorly designed because of the way the warp reactor works - if something breaks, it goes boom instead of shutting down. Also, the placement of the bridge is just dumb.

The impulse engines, which are reaction drives, are also never placed along the ship's center of gravity.

I've heard this explained away that the inertial dampeners balance the ship so it doesn't go spinning head over heels when they switch on the drive. But why would you complicate the design so much? Do the designers have a grudge against Newton? Are they showing off to the competition? (After all, most alien ships seem to have their drives aligned along the axis of thrust. Their inertial dampeners must be inferior!)

hewhocaves
2005-Jan-03, 11:41 PM
I'm going to have to throw my hand in with the NX-01. The TOS ship would be a close second. Voyager would be the absolute worst and the Galaxy frisbee would be just above that.

I don't know why I like the NX, other than it reminds me of the P-38, which I always thought was a cool plane.

Project Orion
2005-Jan-04, 06:58 AM
Klingon Bird of Prey. Looked much cooler than the Enterprise. Reading through the posts I see that many others agree.

http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/upload/thumb/2/2b/200px-Klingon_BOP_ENT.jpg

In the 22nd century, the Klingon Empire operated a type of warship described as a "Bird-of-Prey". It was so named because of its bird-like, swept-down wings, painted with a bold feathered pattern. It has a crew of 24.

http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/upload/thumb/2/26/200px-KlingonBirdofPrey.jpg

The Klingon Bird-of-Prey was also a type of warship in service with the Klingon Defense Force from the late 23rd century into the 24th century. These later ships were so named because of the unusual bird-like shape of the wings and the long main hull. Birds-of-Prey were built in at least three types: the small B'rel-class and D12-class scouts, and the larger K'vort-class cruisers.

The earliest known use of the Bird-of-Prey was in 2285, when a Bird-of-Prey commanded by Kruge raided the Genesis Planet in an attempt to uncover the secrets of Project Genesis. (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock)

http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/upload/thumb/2/2c/200px-KlingonBirdofPrey2.jpg

archman
2005-Jan-04, 09:43 AM
Birds-of-Prey were built in at least three types: the small B'rel-class and D12-class scouts, and the larger K'vort-class cruisers.
I HATE it when spaceship models are recycled with different "scales" to them. Where's my scout-sized Enterprise-E?

Doodler
2005-Jan-04, 03:21 PM

The impulse engines, which are reaction drives, are also never placed along the ship's center of gravity.

I've heard this explained away that the inertial dampeners balance the ship so it doesn't go spinning head over heels when they switch on the drive. But why would you complicate the design so much? Do the designers have a grudge against Newton? Are they showing off to the competition? (After all, most alien ships seem to have their drives aligned along the axis of thrust. Their inertial dampeners must be inferior!)

Heh, ironically, the Ent-E's impulse thrusters are close to the centerline axis. Mostly due to the VERY tight profile.

SeanF
2005-Jan-04, 05:57 PM
How do you know where the ship's center of gravity is? It's not necessarily the geometric center . . .

:D

HerrProfessorDoktor
2005-Jan-04, 07:31 PM
How do you know where the ship's center of gravity is? It's not necessarily the geometric center . . .

On the various Enterprise models, it's right along the center axis of the saucer section. You would have to assume the entire engineering section and engine nacelles mass less than just the top half of the saucer. I'm sure not even the captain's big head could account for all that. :D

Some other designs are not as bad. As I remember, the Defiant's (probably my favorite starship) engines were placed just about the center line.

The more I think about the awful kludge of inertial dampeners the more they bother me. Even forgetting how they're supposed to correct the mass imbalance of the ship, they're also supposed to decrease the inertia of the ship as a whole, allowing the impulse engines to accelerate within a few points of c. But how do you decrease the inertia of parts or the whole of the ship while maintaining normal conditions plus artificial gravity on the interior?

I've always liked Alastair Reynolds' take on the matter, where messing with inertia is a very dangerous thing and definitely hazardous to human health.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-04, 08:28 PM
Klingon bird-of-prey is actually a practical design.

Project Orion
2005-Jan-05, 01:10 AM
For spaceflight there is no need for birdlike streamlining. However, it does look infinitely cooler than a Borg brick. The Scouts could fly through atmosphere and land. As was demonstrated when Captain Kirk took one back to the 20th Century and frightened the bejeezus out of the crew of a Whaling ship.

http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/200307/gal-mov-iv-05/320x240.jpg

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-05, 03:02 AM
"Wings" would keep the engines at a safe distance. (Engines should be much more heavily armored though (to prevent radiation leakage), and winds could benefit from being a bit longer!)

The things isn't really all that streamlined though... Very lumpy. Good enough design for a "small" ship... "Arrow" design might be better from a safety viewpoint, but I guess something like this would be more maneuverable.

(A ship moving at relativistic speeds is not very maneuverable no matter what, though. :) )

Sever
2005-Jan-05, 03:10 AM
For spaceflight there is no need for birdlike streamlining. However, it does look infinitely cooler than a Borg brick. The Scouts could fly through atmosphere and land. As was demonstrated when Captain Kirk took one back to the 20th Century and frightened the bejeezus out of the crew of a Whaling ship.

http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/200307/gal-mov-iv-05/320x240.jpg

I love that sence.
I find the Romulan Warbird to be neat(and the Reman verison), I also like Birds of Prey.

sarongsong
2005-Feb-10, 03:18 AM
...I don't know why I like the NX, other than it reminds me of the P-38, which I always thought was a cool plane.
Virtual Tour: Enterprise NX-01 (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/features/documentaries/article/2319.html)