PDA

View Full Version : blood game no sound

roboticmhd
2014-Aug-20, 08:42 AM
I am using a bootable ms-dos 6.22 cd to start in ms-dos and I also allocated some 300Mb as my c:/ drive in which I have installed the game BLOOD. But the problem is that I can't get the sound working. Is there a way to get sound working? I tried every sound card option is SETUP.EXE for BLOOD.EXE but every of the fails to work. How can I get sound working? Please don't tell me to use DOSbox, I like ms-dos and I program there and I play games there. my favourite thing. this is how I start game:

ms-dos starts as: A:\> c:
C:\> cd blood
C:\BLOOD\> blood.exe

game starts....

Van Rijn
2014-Aug-20, 10:10 AM
DOS, eh? It's been quite awhile since I used DOS. What's your hardware? I assume this is a '90s vintage box? Do you have a sound blaster installed? If so, typically you'd at least have some environment variables in autoexec.bat like:

SET SOUND=C:\Apps\SB16
SET Blaster=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6

And does the game let you configure port, DMA and interrupt settings? If those don't match the sound board, you aren't going to get sound.

If it's a modern machine, you may need DOSbox. One of the advantages there is that it can emulate a sound blaster using common motherboard sound chipsets.

roboticmhd
2014-Aug-20, 11:19 AM
DOS, eh? It's been quite awhile since I used DOS. What's your hardware? I assume this is a '90s vintage box? Do you have a sound blaster installed? If so, typically you'd at least have some environment variables in autoexec.bat like:

SET SOUND=C:\Apps\SB16
SET Blaster=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6

And does the game let you configure port, DMA and interrupt settings? If those don't match the sound board, you aren't going to get sound.

If it's a modern machine, you may need DOSbox. One of the advantages there is that it can emulate a sound blaster using common motherboard sound chipsets.

The game settings allow selection of sound card and sound card properties like IRQ DMA... stuff.. I am using a modern machine. I am using pascal to write my programs on ms-dos platform. I like using pascal. The only problem is I can't get sound working with BLOOD game. and other games as well like DESCENT and a demo NOSFERATU. I am not sure but I think I used to have a working sound in the past but now sme reason it does not work.

Hlafordlaes
2014-Aug-20, 12:04 PM
Been an awful long time. Apart from the environ variables I remember you had to load the right driver in config.sys or autoexec.bat.

Duke Nukem 3D, which you can get as legal shareware, came with a sound setup utility I found good for testing in general.

Van Rijn
2014-Aug-20, 09:05 PM
I am using a modern machine.

Then you need something that will emulate a sound blaster or other DOS era sound card. I know you can do that with DOSbox. There may be some emulator that would work in true DOS, but if so I'm not aware of it. You could try a websearch on that.

Another issue with modern machines is that they are so much faster than '90s machines that a good number of games have timing issues. If you want to use true DOS, I'd suggest looking for a '90s ISA system and a Sound Blaster 16 or similar on an auction site.

roboticmhd
2014-Aug-24, 07:39 AM
I have written a small 3D program where there are bunch of cubes and pyramids rotating around and user can fly around to view them. I wrote it in pascal 7.0. The program works great with ms-dos 6.22 (I have a bootable ms-dos 6.22 cd) but it works much slower (about 10 times) when I open it in windows with DOSbox. why is that happening? I want to write a game or something, but people who want to open with dosbox will have trouble, on the other hand it would work good on dos machine. and most people will always use DOSbox instead of dos.

Nicolas
2014-Aug-24, 07:44 AM
You can choose how fast the emulated PC is in DOSBox, maybe there's a solution there? (enter stopped working in baut for me, my PC smites me for talking DOS :)) I don't think you can get a modern soundcard working in "real" DOS without emulating an old one.

roboticmhd
2014-Aug-24, 07:55 AM
You can choose how fast the emulated PC is in DOSBox, maybe there's a solution there? (enter stopped working in baut for me, my PC smites me for talking DOS :)) I don't think you can get a modern soundcard working in "real" DOS without emulating an old one.

Yeah about sound, I am now pretty sure that sound won't work in real dos.

About my 3d program, I put DOSbox to max emulation speed and still it doesn't work. Also, I am using conventional dos memory only for my program but those games( like dukenukem3d and blood) use some kind of extension that allows them to access 16mb memory. does that has anything to do with this? I am using conventional memory only which is 640kb or something.