PDA

View Full Version : Low On Fuel, Weather Satellite Slowly Spirals To Its Death In 2016

Fraser
2014-Aug-25, 05:30 PM
After 17 years of faithful service, the end is in sight for the Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM). The joint NASA-Japanese mission is out of fuel (except for a small reserve amount for emergencies) and beginning its slow descent back to Earth. From that fall, the satellite is not going to recover. It’s expected to […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/114120/low-on-fuel-weather-satellite-slowly-spirals-to-its-death-in-2016/)

NEOWatcher
2014-Aug-25, 08:14 PM
In that NASA artist's conception, is that square shadow suppsed to be a shadow of the satellite?

That would put it mere meters above the clouds. The only other explaination I can think of is the Vorgons are coming.

Van Rijn
2014-Aug-25, 08:27 PM
I think it is supposed to be an opening in cloud cover that is unfortunately somewhat rectangle shaped. The lighting and angles are wrong for a shadow.

Van Rijn
2014-Aug-25, 08:29 PM
Yes, it says that is a cyclone, so it would be the eye.

Amber Robot
2014-Aug-25, 11:49 PM
If you type "cyclone seen from space" in to Google, you quickly find this photo is from the wikipedia entry for "tropical cyclone". It purports to be an image of Hurricane Isabel (2003) and the 'squareness' of the eye appears to be natural.

NEOWatcher
2014-Aug-26, 01:13 PM
Thanks...
I probably wouldn't have noticed the "squareness" in those pictures without the satellite. It's interesting how it fools the perception.