PDA

View Full Version : Inspector Gadget vs Robocop

Inclusa
2014-Aug-28, 08:38 AM
OK, Inspector Gadget was a kidīs show, so it is largely jocular; Robocop is way more adult in theme.
Nonetheless, both are largely cyborgic, but I believe Inspector Gadget is even more cyborgic than Robocop.
Nonetheless, we are not even close to these technological levels YET.

Noclevername
2014-Aug-28, 08:46 AM
I'm not really sure what your point is here.

KaiYeves
2014-Aug-28, 02:10 PM
Is your point to compare them or to ask who would win in a fight?

HenrikOlsen
2014-Aug-28, 03:16 PM
Is there even a point?

Inclusa
2014-Aug-29, 03:09 AM
My point is: which one is even more enhanced?
Inspector Gadget has a huge range of paraphernalia (Can we say Inspector Paraphernalia if we like it?); Robocop may be superhuman in speed, memory, and reaction, but is more simple in design.
I guess building Inspector Gadget is much more challenging than building Robocop, eh?

Noclevername
2014-Aug-29, 07:18 AM
Inspector Gadget violates the laws of physics; he contains more gadgets than there is room for inside his body, even assuming he's just a hollow shell. So some space-folding technology breakthrough would be necessary in order for him to exist.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Aug-29, 07:48 AM
Inspector Gadget is much easier to make, he's a drawing.

Noclevername
2014-Aug-29, 07:53 AM
Inspector Gadget is much easier to make, he's a drawing.

They are both fictional characters, and thus equally unreal. So what? I think the spirit of the question is not literal.

Paul Beardsley
2014-Aug-29, 08:00 AM
Fictional characters - or fictional anything - can be starting points in "what if?" speculations, including, "What if they were real?"

Personally I would not choose that particular pair, but each to their own.

redshifter
2014-Aug-29, 06:04 PM
Plastic Man would wipe the floor with both of those guys...

Noclevername
2014-Aug-29, 06:06 PM
Plastic Man would wipe the floor with both of those guys...

And Superman would melt Plastic Man with a glance.

redshifter
2014-Aug-29, 07:26 PM
And Superman would melt Plastic Man with a glance.

Oh yeah? How about when Plastic Man sneaks up and puts a lump of kryptonite down Superman's underpants? It's tough to take a superhero seriously when he wears underwear on the outside of his uniform...

Funny story: My niece and nephew actually did wear their underwear on the outside of their clothes for a while...because that's what superheroes do. Even funnier: When my sister in law made a cape for my nephew because he 'wanted to fly like superman'. He had the funniest expression when he tried to fly once he put it on.

DonM435
2014-Aug-29, 07:39 PM
The Superman kids' Halloween costumes sold in the early 1960s had disclaimers on the shirt tails, warning that the suit wouldn't make you fly. I know -- I had one.

Solfe
2014-Aug-29, 08:56 PM
I used to work at a toy company, a surprising number of toys come with that disclaimer.

Another good disclaimer I wished they had was one in relation to size and stuff fitting inside or on toys:
Caller: "Where are the cameras on this NASCAR car?"
Agent': "It is 1/64 scale, they aren't shown because they wouldn't be visible. Plus they aren't on every car, every race."
Caller: "Oh, yeah? I can see details on the driver's face."
Agent: "Are you looking at Lightning McQueen's eyes?"
Caller: "No, it is The King's car."
Agent: "The King is just voiced by Richard Petty, it isn't actually Richard Petty's likeness."
Caller: "Is there anyone who actually knows anything about NASCAR there?"
Agent sobs quietly.

Back to the OP, Inspector Gadget doesn't seem to have the same limitations as Robocop. He has devices that spring out, fully functioning as if pulled from a backpack. This is often used for humor, who wants an umbrella to open up while flying?

The only sci-fi that I can think of that something similar is the Revelation Space series. They have quickmatter which is nano based material for quick building. There is a more limited form called a "manufactory" which builds things quickly. Neither is exact as the manufactory is attached to a honking big ship and quickmatter transitions from one shape to another so it is unnoticed until needed. I am pretty sure that other books have similar things, I just haven't read them yet.

KaiYeves
2014-Aug-29, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah? How about when Plastic Man sneaks up and puts a lump of kryptonite down Superman's underpants? It's tough to take a superhero seriously when he wears underwear on the outside of his uniform...

Funny story: My niece and nephew actually did wear their underwear on the outside of their clothes for a while...because that's what superheroes do. Even funnier: When my sister in law made a cape for my nephew because he 'wanted to fly like superman'. He had the funniest expression when he tried to fly once he put it on.

Superman's shorts-over-tights were based on the modesty shorts (http://io9.com/5966540/in-defense-of-supermans-underpants) worn by 1930s circus strongmen. So in 1938, they made sense, modern readers just don't have that context.

redshifter
2014-Aug-29, 09:20 PM
Superman's shorts-over-tights were based on the modesty shorts (http://io9.com/5966540/in-defense-of-supermans-underpants) worn by 1930s circus strongmen. So in 1938, they made sense, modern readers just don't have that context.

My niece and nephew sure didn't!

Noclevername
2014-Aug-29, 10:01 PM
Back to the OP, Inspector Gadget doesn't seem to have the same limitations as Robocop. He has devices that spring out, fully functioning as if pulled from a backpack. This is often used for humor, who wants an umbrella to open up while flying?

The only sci-fi that I can think of that something similar is the Revelation Space series.

There was an action movie called Ultraviolet, which had a "flat-space" technology that let Mila Jovovitch carry a ridiculous number of guns and ammo, and also hid the MacGuffin of the story in a portable form.

Also, TARDIS.

Paul Beardsley
2014-Aug-30, 09:57 AM
Also, TARDIS.

What's that, then?

Noclevername
2014-Aug-30, 10:02 AM
What's that, then?

Oh, nothing you'd be familiar with. ;)

Paul Beardsley
2014-Aug-30, 10:06 AM
Oh, nothing you'd be familiar with. ;)

Me: :D Clare: :D

swampyankee
2014-Aug-31, 02:29 PM

Kryptonite-in-uderpants does make one wonder why didn't Superman put lead into his underpants? A lead uniform would solve so many of his problems.

Inclusa
2014-Aug-31, 11:27 PM
Kryptonite-in-uderpants does make one wonder why didn't Superman put lead into his underpants? A lead uniform would solve so many of his problems.

What are the problems with Superman?

There was an action movie called Ultraviolet, which had a "flat-space" technology that let Mila Jovovitch carry a ridiculous number of guns and ammo, and also hid the MacGuffin of the story in a portable form.

Also, TARDIS.

So, we don't always assume three dimensional logic?

Noclevername
2014-Aug-31, 11:30 PM
What are the problems with Superman?
Kryptonite, mainly.

So, we don't always assume three dimensional logic?

It's basically hammerspace (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Hammerspace) with a pseudoscience justification.

Solfe
2014-Sep-03, 03:05 AM
Me: :D Clare: :D

Paul has a negative one to plus one scale TARDIS in the shed, it's smaller on the inside.

Noclevername
2014-Sep-09, 05:48 AM
The only sci-fi that I can think of that something similar is the Revelation Space series. They have quickmatter which is nano based material for quick building. There is a more limited form called a "manufactory" which builds things quickly. Neither is exact as the manufactory is attached to a honking big ship and quickmatter transitions from one shape to another so it is unnoticed until needed. I am pretty sure that other books have similar things, I just haven't read them yet.

The Cybergeneration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybergeneration) role-playing game had a number of characters infested with nanotech called the Carbon Plague that among other things, allowed them to reshape limbs, or interface with machines, or generate electricity.

novaderrik
2014-Sep-13, 02:32 AM
Gadget was an idiot that had to be saved by his niece and her dog all the time... Robocop was supposed to be a dumb tool that didn't question orders that remembered his past life and rebelled against his evil creators..

i think they built that statue to Robocop in Detroit: where is Gadget's statue?

Robocop wins..