PDA

View Full Version : Computer Graphics realism demotivates space exploration?

wd40
2014-Aug-31, 09:38 AM
Men can only really move because of the hormones testosterone and adrenaline.
The vast Apollo program had plenty of both: patriotism, glory, national pride, 'sense of wonder', 'we go there because it is there', 'human destiny', 'human inquisitiveness', 'fulfilling President Kennedy's goal', beating the Russians etc. The Money and profit motive in that era were secondary issues.

But is repeated viewing of the realism of cg simulations eg of the NASA Space Launch System (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWBaoj4-Fs0) which often make you feel as though "you've really been there and done it" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K15tc3sJi4l), demotivate and slow down the new breed of builders, engineers and astronauts, who might feel 'we're doing all this toil and effort just to plant another flag, 'lack of novelty', we've done it before' etc?!'

Just like in heavy CG films like "The Matrix", "Avatar", the latest "Star Trek" etc, you know it's all synthetic and hollow, but you're brain has been so overwhelmed and left with the lasting impression as though it's actually been inside that CG universe, so 'why bother flying to the Moon in reality any more, jus' watch the movie' ie the already drained and depleted adrenal and testes glands, which depend on stimulation from a demotivated world/universe-weary brain, won't secrete enough hormones to get the job properly done?

Noclevername
2014-Aug-31, 09:43 AM
Men can only really move because of the hormones testosterone and adrenaline.

Really? Nothing else ever motivates us? (Or should I say, half of us, because women.)

Jens
2014-Aug-31, 12:54 PM
Really? Nothing else ever motivates us? (Or should I say, half of us, because women.)

Well, women have adrenaline just like men. It's true that they don't have as much testosterone, but I'm not sure if testosterone itself is really responsible for what WD40 claims it is. I do agree, though, with your doubts about the post of course. I find it difficult to understand why computer graphics would demotivate. They might, but they might also motivate us by introducing people to the wonder of space.

grapes
2014-Aug-31, 02:37 PM
Do flight simulators demotivate the desire to fly? Apparently not.

JustAFriend
2014-Sep-01, 02:39 AM
You need to look at some of the Trek documentaries where a bunch of NASA folk say they got into science/space because of the programs...

publiusr
2014-Sep-06, 06:52 PM
I will say this--depictions on anti-gravity may spoil folks into thinking rockets are "primitive."

No--they WORK--and field effect will not get you off the ground.