PDA

View Full Version : napoleon dynamite

space cadet
2005-Jan-02, 08:08 AM
anyone seen it yet?

Its one of those movies where you either hate it or love it. I haven't really met any middle-of-the-roaders yet.

It started out as a low budget indie film made by a student at BYU and was filmed in Cache Valley just north of where I live and pretty much nailed the odd-ball small town culture. I thought it was cool that it was such an unexpected success.

Some priceless quotes:

"What are you going to do today Napoleon?"
"Whatever I want to, GOSH!!!!"

"Can you do me a favor and bring me some chapstick?"
"No, Napoleon."
"But my lips hurt real bad!"
"Well just borrow some from the school nurse. I know she has like five tubes in her drawer."
"I'm not going to use hers, you sicko!"

"Hey, Napoleon. Gimme some of your tots."
"No, go find your own."
"Gimme some!"
"No! I haven't had anything to eat like all frickin' day!"

"What did you do this summer Napoleon?"
"I told you, I spent it up in Alaska hunting wolverines with my uncle!"
"What did you use to shoot them with?"
"A frickin' twelve gage, GOSH!!!"

"I see you're drinking one percent. Is that because you think you're fat??? Because you're not. You could be drinking whole milk if you wanted."

sarongsong
2005-Jan-02, 08:57 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but between your recommendation and our local 'I-WILL-not-grade-on-a-curve' reviewer's 2 Stars-rating (http://www.sdreader.com/php/mvdisplay.php?&id=NAPODYNA) (an accomplishment!), will add this to my '05 must-see list. :)

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-02, 12:43 PM
It came out on DVD last week. It has this short (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398259/) on it, in which the main character's name is Seth. It also has the wedding sequence at the end of the credits, which wasn't in the original theater run.

ocasey3
2005-Jan-02, 01:14 PM
I just saw this movie this week and I loved it. We kept trying to figure out what year it was supposed to be by looking at the clothes and what not. It seemed like it was in the early- mid 80's, but then there was a cell phone used, a small one. Looks like someone had a great time gathering all those old items together. And you just gotta love the Moon Boots!

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-02, 05:33 PM
I just saw this movie this week and I loved it. We kept trying to figure out what year it was supposed to be by looking at the clothes and what not. It seemed like it was in the early- mid 80's, but then there was a cell phone used, a small one. Looks like someone had a great time gathering all those old items together. And you just gotta love the Moon Boots!
And Kip meets his girlfriend in a chat room, and buys the time machine on the internet. And says "peace out".

The school ID shown at the start of the movie shows school year 2004-2005. So it's in the future--something to look forward to. :)

space cadet
2005-Jan-02, 07:31 PM

The reason a lot of the furniture is green and orange and the characters dress in clothes from the 80s is because the majority of the people up on the north end of the valley are extremely poor (farmers) and do most of their shopping at the thrift store. Driving through Preston is like going through a time warp because they can't afford to replace their old stuff. So most of the extras you see in the movie are simply local citizens acting (and dressing) like themselves.

There are even a couple of scenes where napoleon goes shopping at Deseret Industries in Logan (a thrift store owned by the LDS church.) Thats where he gets that rad suit and the ninja swords.

Master258
2005-Jan-02, 10:21 PM
pretty funny and a little weird

BAroxMysox
2005-Jan-02, 11:04 PM
I wish I could find ninja swords at the DI. :-?

paulie jay
2005-Jan-03, 01:52 AM
Gee, Elvis Costello used to call himself Napoleon Dynamite - I thought this was going to be about him!

Dark Helmet
2005-Jan-03, 08:40 AM
To be perfectly honest, I didn't like it.

It didn't seem to have much of a plot, it just kind of dragged on, until it ended.

There was little conflict, and what conflict there was was severly underplayed in the film.

To me, it was horribly overated.

PyroFreak
2005-Jan-04, 03:47 PM
I don't think it is suppose to have a plot. It's shot in Idaho I think. There are no plots up there. It's just suppose to be funny, that's it. I don't think anyone can deny the dance portion of the movie. You gotta give it up to him for that.

No offense to Idahoians, I have a few friends up there. They agree.