PDA

View Full Version : Syfy greenlights Arthur C. Clarke's 'Childhood's End' as a miniseries

Jim
2014-Sep-05, 12:03 PM
Set to air in 2015.

Dave Howe, President of Syfy, said, ... This will be the most ambitious project for Syfy in many years.

Even more than Sharknado 2? Wow. What could possibly go wrong?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/03/syfy-childhoods-end-6-hour-miniseries/

NEOWatcher
2014-Sep-05, 12:17 PM
“As we aggressively develop scripted programming over a diverse creative landscape, we want our content to reflect the greatest sci-fi stories from the past and the present"
That's new. I wonder why they couldn't think of that before.

ngc3314
2014-Sep-05, 12:45 PM
This is a case for mixed emotions!

(OTOH, the best cosplay example I saw at DragonCon this year was the Sharknado itself, so at least there would be that potential outcome)

cjameshuff
2014-Sep-05, 01:07 PM
Really didn't care for that book. On top of the fact that Clarke failed to convince me that joining the Overmind was desirable, the end of the book really looked a lot more like predation to me. So: a bunch of alien conquerers come along, destroy human culture, manipulate humanity into becoming functionally extinct, and despite any potential it might have had, life on Earth becomes nothing but a snack for an alien god. Yay.

On the bright side, if Syfy's going to make a miniseries out of a Clarke novel, at least it's one I don't like.

Swift
2014-Sep-05, 01:48 PM
Really didn't care for that book.
I would go as far as saying I hate that book; approaching despise.

On the bright side, if Syfy's going to make a miniseries out of a Clarke novel, at least it's one I don't like.
:clap:

Noclevername
2014-Sep-06, 12:57 PM
How about a project called SyFy's End? I'd watch that.

DonM435
2014-Sep-06, 03:12 PM
Clarkenado: No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Noclevername
2014-Sep-06, 03:14 PM
Space Devils Versus Megasquid!

DaveC426913
2014-Sep-06, 03:29 PM
What diff does it make?

It will take the title, and the first episode will loosely establish the book's premise.

Then 12 episodes of soap opera will follow, examining the minutiae of the shifting, incestuous relationships and loyalties between all the primary characters, increasingly infused with an entourage of secondary characters - none of which will have the slightest thing to do with Clarke's story.

swampyankee
2014-Sep-06, 03:46 PM
Then 12 episodes of soap opera will follow, examining the minutiae of the shifting, incestuous relationships and loyalties between all the primary characters, increasingly infused with an entourage of secondary characters - none of which will have the slightest thing to do with Clarke's story.

Isn't that Game of Thrones?

AtomicDog
2014-Sep-07, 10:46 PM
Wow. I liked Childhood's End. I had no idea it was so despised.

Noclevername
2014-Sep-07, 10:48 PM
Wow. I liked Childhood's End. I had no idea it was so despised.

So far one poster doesn't care for it, and one said despise. The rest of our hatred is focussed on SyFi.

swampyankee
2014-Sep-07, 10:53 PM
That's new. I wonder why they couldn't think of that before.

They did. They just rejected it out of hand.

swampyankee
2014-Sep-07, 10:55 PM
So far one poster doesn't care for it, and one said despise. The rest of our hatred is focussed on SyFi.

I rather liked Childhood's End, possibly because it was, in many ways, a more human story than most of Clarke's other space-bound sf. The only works of his that I despise are the ones he co-wrote with Gentry Lee.

AtomicDog
2014-Sep-07, 10:58 PM

Oh. Okay, I'll join you, then. SyFy/SciFi is the biggest waste of potential in the history of cable television.

iquestor
2014-Sep-07, 11:04 PM
I also Liked Childhood's End. Maybe I didn't analyze it so thoroughly because I was still in middle school when I first read. It. I continued reading it every so often during high school.

DaveC426913
2014-Sep-08, 02:15 PM
Isn't that Game of Thrones?
Game of Thrones makes no pretense to be otherwise - it's right in the title.

It's the other sci-fi series that I hate. Under the Dome, probably Lost (which I did not watch), Flash Forward (this is the one that really disappointed me - the one where I realized the formula for a sci-fi series was inevitable).

Amber Robot
2014-Sep-08, 09:38 PM
I had to read the book in High School. I don't remember the details, but I do remember not liking the way it ended. I agree with cjameshuff that it didn't seem like a desirable result.

WaxRubiks
2014-Sep-09, 12:05 PM
yes, the end was pretty nasty.