PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity finds fossil?

Boratssister
2014-Sep-11, 07:19 PM
Hey peeps what do you make of this http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/proj/msl/redops/ods/surface/sol/00746/opgs/edr/ccam/CR0_463713637EDR_F0411570CCAM03746M_.JPG

Sure looks weird.

P.s hello everyone,hope you are all well.

Squink
2014-Sep-11, 07:44 PM
Looks like a pebble sitting next to a little circular pit in the rock bed.

Boratssister
2014-Sep-11, 08:25 PM
Looks like a pebble sitting next to a little circular pit in the rock bed.yes you are right, mods please delete or move the thread somewhere appropiate.

John Mendenhall
2014-Sep-11, 08:39 PM
Hey not bad certainly have to look twice.

Thanks for sharing.

JohnD
2014-Sep-11, 09:10 PM
Yes, file with this one:
http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0719MR0030550060402769E01_DXXX&s=719

"Thighbone" on Mars.
JOhn

Swift
2014-Sep-12, 12:25 AM
yes you are right, mods please delete or move the thread somewhere appropiate.
We only delete threads that are spam or offensive. This one can sit here and fade into the background.

Boratssister
2014-Sep-12, 01:30 AM
Fade away? Wait for the headlines!

Only joking

Ivan Bilic
2014-Sep-15, 02:09 AM
I would be surprised if there weren't life on Mars once in the past. Not only some kind of life, but plenty and variety of it. (life usually apears in abundance varieties) As Mars already went through what earth is going through right now, with water and atmosphere, there is in deed great possibility that life evolved. Yet, we can hardly see things. We can hardly see things here on Earth. When i was googling China on web, i was surprised what i found out there that i didn't know of before. We still miss lot of knowledge of our very own world(we really don't know what world was looking like in middle ages, in roman empire, etc...) and not to mention Mars. However if there are some fossils on Mars(which i believe there are) it would be hard to find them. They are probably burried deep under surface. We still need to develop and improve our technology to go to Mars and do digging over there. For that job, i think, robots are perfect choice. If everything goes well, i think 21st century will bring us lot of beautifoul and interesting discoveries, one of which could be finding remains of life on Mars...

Ivan Bilic
2014-Sep-15, 02:57 AM
^^We had two advanced civilizations greek and roman, both lasting for centuries, we had science renessaince from 14th century, yet we needed so much time to discover fossils of neanderthals and dinosaurs, and there are still so many people who don't believe that dinosaurs and neanderthals existed. What can we expect in case of mars? Considering sensationalisam and hoaxes accompanied with that sensationalism, even if upon time we discover something it would be hard to convince people in this circumstances....

selvaarchi
2014-Sep-15, 10:37 AM
^^We had two advanced civilizations greek and roman, both lasting for centuries, we had science renessaince from 14th century, yet we needed so much time to discover fossils of neanderthals and dinosaurs, and there are still so many people who don't believe that dinosaurs and neanderthals existed. What can we expect in case of mars? Considering sensationalisam and hoaxes accompanied with that sensationalism, even if upon time we discover something it would be hard to convince people in this circumstances....

The Greek and Romans were not the only ancient advanced civilizations. We have the Chinese, Indian, Incurs and a host of others as well.

Squink
2014-Sep-15, 07:22 PM
I would be surprised if there weren't life on Mars once in the past.If there was, Opportunity's extensive photography record seems to point to it never having gone beyond single celled prokaryotes. Those huge piles of blueberry concretions are suggestive, and there's layers that look like they might have once been bacterial films, but nary a pixel's worth of jellyfish, brachiopod, annelid, or land crab fossil.

selvaarchi
2014-Sep-15, 10:15 PM
If there was, Opportunity's extensive photography record seems to point to it never having gone beyond single celled prokaryotes. Those huge piles of blueberry concretions are suggestive, and there's layers that look like they might have once been bacterial films, but nary a pixel's worth of jellyfish, brachiopod, annelid, or land crab fossil.
It still only covers only a very very small percentage of the Martian landscape. I put my vote for finding some sort of life form on Mars. Not on the surface but deeper down where they are protected from the harsh radiation hitting the surface.

Ivan Bilic
2014-Sep-16, 10:36 PM
If there was, Opportunity's extensive photography record seems to point to it never having gone beyond single celled prokaryotes. Those huge piles of blueberry concretions are suggestive, and there's layers that look like they might have once been bacterial films, but nary a pixel's worth of jellyfish, brachiopod, annelid, or land crab fossil.

If there was any life, it would be very hard find anything on rover's photographs. Because as Selvaarchi pointed it out, everything would be burried deep under surface. We have examples of complete human built cities which were abandoned, you cannot find those cities very easily, because whole cities are burried under surface with soil and sand covering them. In the case of fossils, it would be even harder to find them. So, remains of any complex form of life is under the surface, and no metter how many photographs rovers are providing us, it would be hard, even impossible to discover anything on photos.
To discover something on Mars, we need more sophisticated machins. Rovers and robots which would be able to sounding and digging under the surface....

Ivan Bilic
2014-Sep-16, 10:45 PM
The Greek and Romans were not the only ancient advanced civilizations. We have the Chinese, Indian, Incurs and a host of others as well.

Yes, there were other civilisations as well....