PDA

View Full Version : World's most photogenic volcanoes

Swift
2014-Sep-12, 07:52 PM
I thought the geology geeks here might find this article from CNN.com about the 10 most photogenic volcanoes interesting.

LINK (http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/11/travel/photogenic-volcanoes/index.html?hpt=hp_c5)

I've visited 3 of the ten: Kilauea, Arenal (though it was pretty quiet when I was in Costa Rica) and Fuji (but only saw it from a distance).

Gillianren
2014-Sep-12, 08:07 PM
I happen to think our volcano is awfully pretty. It's in view today, too!

Trebuchet
2014-Sep-12, 11:37 PM
From the article re Kilauea:

Last major eruption: 1983
An eruption which is still ongoing, of course. Bad Reporting!

Prior to 1980, Mt. St. Helens was gorgeous. The Fuji of North America.

geonuc
2014-Sep-13, 08:15 AM
I suppose it's like any 'ten best' list, I'd quibble on a few of them. But any volcano reporting is better than no volcano reporting!

From the article re Kilauea:

An eruption which is still ongoing, of course. Bad Reporting!

The article does point that out a couple of times.

Trebuchet
2014-Sep-15, 12:41 AM
IThe article does point that out a couple of times.

It does, but not in the most obvious place. And of course, were it not continuously erupting, it wouldn't be all that photogenic.

LookingSkyward
2014-Sep-17, 12:02 AM
Ok, I know I'm completely biased, but I think that Mt Baker seen from Anacortes is pretty special

Notes: Not my picture in the link below. Anacortes is my home town, and this was pretty much the view every clear day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christineah/2640924108/

redshifter
2014-Sep-26, 05:48 PM
As our other Pacific NW residents have mentioned, where is the mention of ANY of our beautiful volcanoes? Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood, Mt. St Helens. Also no mention of Mt. Shasta or Lassen Peak? And what about Crater Lake?

Trebuchet
2014-Sep-27, 01:42 PM
Glacier Peak! By far the least known of the PNW volcanoes, because of its remote location. You can get a glimpse of it from I5 in Everett, and see it fairly well from Port Townsend.

JohnD
2014-Sep-27, 06:48 PM
Absolutely no doubt about it!
Glen Coe, The Giant's Causeway, Castle Rock Edinburgh and best of all, Borrowdale.

redshifter
2014-Sep-29, 06:50 PM
Glacier Peak! By far the least known of the PNW volcanoes, because of its remote location. You can get a glimpse of it from I5 in Everett, and see it fairly well from Port Townsend.

I forgot about that one! They could've listed Mt. Bachelor too! Or the Three Sisters.

geonuc
2014-Sep-30, 08:06 AM
Bezymianny in Kamchatka might be my favorite from an aesthetic point of view. It blew its top much like Mt St Helens, but has had time to grow a new central cone. Looks pretty cool now. I remember it because it was also the favorite of my volcanology professor.

Romanus
2014-Oct-22, 10:44 PM
I kind of like them all. :)

KaiYeves
2014-Oct-23, 12:08 AM
I always think this picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Katmai#mediaviewer/File:Katmai_Crater_1980.jpg) of Mount Katmai is lovely, but in some others where more of the snow has melted it looks rather plain.