PDA

View Full Version : Museum of Creation

HerrProfessorDoktor
2005-Jan-03, 01:36 AM
This (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/01/02/weden02.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/01/02/ixworld.html) sounds like some sort of sick joke, but it's completely serious.

Mr Ham is particularly proud of a planned reconstruction of the interior of Noah's Ark. "You will hear the water lapping, feel the Ark rocking and perhaps even hear people outside screaming," he said.

Other exhibits in the museum will blame homosexuals for Aids. In a "Bible Authority Room" visitors are warned: "Everyone who rejects his history – including six-day creation and Noah's flood – is `wilfully' ignorant.''

Elsewhere, animated figures will be used to recreate the Garden of Eden, while in another room, visitors will see a tyrannosaurus rex pursuing Adam and Eve after their fall from grace. "That's the real terror that Adam's sin unleashed," visitors will be warned.

Here's the official website (http://www.answersingenesis.org/museum/).

I'm utterly speechless. :evil:

paulie jay
2005-Jan-03, 01:48 AM
My my, 100 acres of hate and misinformation. Why? Because we love you!

I don't want to sound patronising, but only in America...

Sever
2005-Jan-03, 01:50 AM
I thought that was funny.
For the first ten seconds.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-03, 02:02 AM
My my, 100 acres of hate and misinformation. Why? Because we love you!...
That's a really appropriate phrase, especially if its original source is a "club" TV show from back in the 1950s. Here in the U.S., we have a phrase that describes things that are pathetically amateurish, half fast, poorly done, and ill conceived: mickey mouse.

Meanwhile I wonder if this museum of ignorance and superstition received any money from this unfortunate source? (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050102/ap_on_go_ot/federal_faith)

jrkeller
2005-Jan-03, 02:05 AM
I still think it is funny. It will probably do well for the first few years and then fail like most of these things do. The end result will be the same, it will push people away from, not towards Christianity.

I especially like this part,

In a "Bible Authority Room" visitors are warned: "Everyone who rejects his history – including six-day creation and Noah's flood – is `wilfully' ignorant.''

then followed by this

visitors will see a tyrannosaurus rex pursuing Adam and Eve after their fall from grace.

I don't recall anything in the Bible (or any other religous text) about dinosaurs and the Garden of Eden. If the Bible is the authority, this exhibit should not be there.

HerrProfessorDoktor
2005-Jan-03, 02:06 AM
What surprised me was not so much the content, but the scope and legitimacy of the project. This is fringe stuff, even by fundamentalist standards. My fear is that hundreds of thousands of otherwise moderate Christians are going to get sucked in and returned with their brains neatly removed.

It's true, this country has completely gone off the deep end.

sarongsong
2005-Jan-03, 02:19 AM
No worries:

... And the unusual twist is accuracy---both biblical and scientific!...

mickal555
2005-Jan-03, 03:49 AM
No worries:

... And the unusual twist is accuracy---both biblical and scientific!...
Nuts I'm not suppoded to get coffie over my Lcd screen. :evil:

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jan-03, 04:58 AM
I'm all for Free Speech ...

But, can't we get this Place Closed Down ...

Public Nuisance Laws, Inciting to Stupidity, perhaps?

I Mean SHEESH, I'm gonna Start Having Kids, in a Few Years, No Way, do I want Any One, Subjecting them to That!

Van Rijn
2005-Jan-03, 07:59 AM
And here I thought the "Golgotha Fun Park" was in bad taste. You just don't expect to see the words "Golgotha" and "fun" together - and wouldn't you expect the faithful to be the most annoyed?

See here:

Golgotha Biblical Mini-Golf (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/KYCAVgolgotha.html)

Sakura Kinomoto
2005-Jan-03, 08:19 AM
That museum is got the be silliest thing..but I believe they have the right to express what they say.

After all, we have a First Amendment for that. (and the comment in my sig )

mike alexander
2005-Jan-03, 08:48 AM
Bringing the Word to the Tri State Area.

And on the eighth day, God created five-way chili?

Maksutov
2005-Jan-03, 09:46 AM

Was there supposed to be a link in there somewhere?

Maksutov
2005-Jan-03, 09:48 AM

Well, read this:

It has been set up by Ken Ham, an Australian evangelist, who runs Answers in Genesis, one of America's most prominent creationist organisations.
That's not really cricket, you know, sending us one of your loonies and then blaming the results entirely on us! :wink:

mike alexander
2005-Jan-03, 10:00 AM
Maksutov wrote:

No, but it struck me that since it's near Cincinnati they ought to explain the origin of chili. Right after they explain how Adam knew Latin.

Southern Ohio, southern Indiana, northern Kentucky. There's a potent combination.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-03, 10:14 AM
Maksutov wrote:

No, but it struck me that since it's near Cincinnati they ought to explain the origin of chili. Right after they explain how Adam knew Latin.
Good questions. I always wondered why after meeting Eve, he remarked, "Veni, vidi, vici!" I guess he had a lot of Gaul.

The chile is probably due to Adam's yelling at Eve, "Man, that TRex I dragged in here is really starting to get ripe! How about doing something with it?"

Southern Ohio, southern Indiana, northern Kentucky. There's a potent combination.
OK. I was expecting to hear about another "museum" taking root on a rotting tree somewhere in the NY/NJ/CT area.

Scary thought about that latter location. That's prime territory for snake-oil sales.

frogesque
2005-Jan-03, 11:04 AM
I'm finding it so hard to comment on this story without breaking BABB rules. It's incomprehensible to me that a pseudo-religious theme park a la Disney could actually be taken seriously.

There are some very disturbing trends coming out of your great country and whilst I respect anyone's right to worship as they see fit this is transparent indoctrination of the young.

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-03, 02:23 PM
Maksutov wrote:

When you're rewriting history in order to fleece people out of money through their faith, accuracy and truth don't matter... unfortunately.

Swift
2005-Jan-03, 02:39 PM

To paraphrase Ben Franklin, Five-ways and beer are proof that god loves us. :D

Swift
2005-Jan-03, 02:44 PM
Maksutov wrote:

I'm trying not to be a geographically prejudice, but the area around Cincinnati is, how shall we say, very politically conservative, to say the least. Cincy also has a reputation for banning art and books, and for having a police force that gets into racial problems. But I love the chili.

Sticks
2005-Jan-03, 02:53 PM
I don't recall anything in the Bible (or any other religous text) about dinosaurs and the Garden of Eden. If the Bible is the authority, this exhibit should not be there.

This is one of the closest I can find (http://www.apologeticspress.org/modules.php?name=Read&cat=1&itemid=154)

Followed

by this (http://www.apologeticspress.org/rr/reprints/Dinosaurs-and-the-Bible.pdf)

If that helps?

Some people really are their own worst enemy :roll:

HerrProfessorDoktor
2005-Jan-03, 03:27 PM
Followed

by this (http://www.apologeticspress.org/rr/reprints/Dinosaurs-and-the-Bible.pdf)

If that helps?

From the PDF:

One scientist at the AAAS convention offered what he called (tongue-in-cheek) his “zonk” theory. He suggested that dinosaurs were wiped out when they were “zonked” on the head by incoming meteorites!

"Ma'am, we're scientists. We have no sense of humor that we are aware of."

Then again, I can't tell if a woowoo is serious or joking, so I guess it's all fair.

JohnW
2005-Jan-03, 04:14 PM
When you're rewriting history in order to fleece people out of money through their faith, accuracy and truth don't matter... unfortunately.
Spacewriter, you seem to be suggesting this guy knows he's spouting nonsense, and is just out to make money. Sadly, I think he really means it. I'm not sure which is worse.

Demigrog
2005-Jan-03, 04:32 PM

Nah, it should be in Orlando, so they can set up a two-day two-park pass with these guys (http://www.theholylandexperience.com/).

Jim
2005-Jan-03, 04:40 PM
Elsewhere, animated figures will be used to recreate the Garden of Eden, while in another room, visitors will see a tyrannosaurus rex pursuing Adam and Eve after their fall from grace. "That's the real terror that Adam's sin unleashed," visitors will be warned.

Huh. And I always thought the "real terror" was being cast out of God's presence. Go figure.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."
Albert Einstein

Well, read this:

It has been set up by Ken Ham, an Australian evangelist...
That's not really cricket, you know, sending us one of your loonies and then blaming the results entirely on us! :wink:

Payback for Mel Gibson?

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-03, 08:58 PM
This is... real? You have got to be freaking KIDDING! :evil: :evil: :evil:

This Ken Ham fellow (is that even his real name?) has problems. Big problems.

crateris
2005-Jan-03, 09:40 PM
This is from an earlier thread about a book being sold at Grand Canyon store. This post was about a book I came across by the same Ken Ham we are talking about here.

crateris wrote:

I found the book. The title is "The Great Dinosaur Mystery Solved." The author is
Ken Ham.

It tells all about the "real" fossil record and makes a lot of the "behemoth" of the
bible. There is other hay made about dinosaurs and man living together until the
great flood.

I can handle that stuff.

But then the book launches into "How to become a christian" and outlines that, if
you don't take the bible literally in respect to "creation" and such, then you also
believe in homosexuality, you have no moral base, you believe in euthanasia, family
break-up, yada, yada,yada.

As I said before, this book is aimed at 5th or 6th graders, maybe a little earlier. And
the cover does not give any clues as to the contents.

Once my wife found out about the contents, she instructed me to throw it away. I
kept is to use as an example of how the fundamentalists try to brainwash children
by distorting the historic (and prehistoric) past and how they weave religious bias
into their teachings.

C.

Zachary
2005-Jan-03, 10:49 PM
I thought it was funny, but that's only because there's a large ocean between me and this place! :lol:

Maybe along with the 'no flash photography' and 'please turn your phone off' signs there should be a 'no rational thought please' sign at the entrance of every 'exhibit'.

Donnie B.
2005-Jan-03, 11:03 PM
If you still have any mind left to be blown, check out this recent Skeptical Inquirer article about a similar place, Kent Hovind's "Dinosaur Adventure Land":
http://www.csicop.org/si/2004-11/hovind.html

aurora
2005-Jan-03, 11:16 PM
People like Ham clearly know he is lying (simple example, AIG sells a quote book that is filled with misquotes and lies, all of which have been pointed out to AIG many times, but they continue to sell the book). I can only surmise that he believes that lying is justified if it "saves souls".

You might find this funny, or frustrating...
A visit to ICR "museum" (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/icr-visit/linke.html)

Wolverine
2005-Jan-04, 12:21 AM
I cannot add anything that hasn't already been said or doesn't violate the FAQ. :evil:

paulie jay
2005-Jan-04, 03:33 AM

Well, read this:

It has been set up by Ken Ham, an Australian evangelist, who runs Answers in Genesis, one of America's most prominent creationist organisations.

Aaaaargh! Ken Ham! Glad to see the back of HIM! We have a strong filtering process over here which tends to send the extremeists packing (well some of them anyway.)

If you can find a copy of Telling Lies For God my Ian Plimer I suggest you all give it a good read - talks about Ham, Snelling, Gish and many others.

Sakura Kinomoto
2005-Jan-04, 04:30 AM
In slightly related news, a lot of people would love to include that in schools.. *twitch* Our Earth and Envriomental Science teacher is quite dilligent in telling us about it (He's anti intelligant design teaching)

Kesh
2005-Jan-04, 04:55 AM
Cripes this is in Cincy? Guess they're trying to compete with King's Island. :lol:

Maksutov
2005-Jan-04, 05:08 AM
[edit]Aaaaargh! Ken Ham! Glad to see the back of HIM! We have a strong filtering process over here which tends to send the extremeists packing (well some of them anyway.)...
What is that "strong filtering process" and is it exportable?

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jan-04, 06:08 AM

Skyline Chili -- White Castles in a bowl!!! (http://www.skylinechili.com/)

Yee haw! Either a sack of belly bombers or a double serving of five-way -- "Why, yes, I do live alone. How could you tell?"

The museum is just off I-275 in Kentucky just abaft the Cincinnati airport, which makes it about an hour-and-a-half drive from my place. We're already commenting on this over on the JREF board, setting up a group road trip replete with cameras. (Can ya just see a half dozen of us invading the place, all festooned with cameras and JREF ball caps and TAM T-shirts? They'll have a stroke...).

The only problem is when to go -- according to their website, the place won't be fully up and running before Spring 2007.

mike alexander
2005-Jan-04, 06:17 AM
White Castles... gee, what do they cost now?

Used to get 'em for 15 cents, or eight for a buck. Add a big birch beer or two and to steal John McPhee's phrase: YOU ARE IN BUSINESS!

Maksutov
2005-Jan-04, 09:48 AM
Last White Castle I was in was in Nashville, c. 2002. The square meals were two for a dollar, unless there was a special on. The fish sandwich was like 70 cents and really good. They were serving Coca-Cola in big green plastic faux classic Coke glasses. Still have 'em.

Hope they're still there, since they're competing directly with Krystal.

stu
2005-Jan-05, 05:10 AM
I'm trying not to be a geographically prejudice, but the area around Cincinnati is, how shall we say, very politically conservative, to say the least. Cincy also has a reputation for banning art and books, and for having a police force that gets into racial problems. But I love the chili.

This is yet another reason why I'm ashamed to live in Cincinnati, and yet another reason why I will NEVER live here (nor in Ohio for that matter) after college.

And y'all need to stop dissing the chili - Skyline Rules!

Kesh
2005-Jan-05, 05:53 AM
[quote="Charlie in Dayton"]Skyline Chili -- White Castles in a bowl!!! (http://www.skylinechili.com/)

Skyline is pretty bad. Gold Star, however, is excellent.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-05, 05:59 AM

This is yet another reason why I'm ashamed to live in Cincinnati, and yet another reason why I will NEVER live here (nor in Ohio for that matter) after college.

And y'all need to stop dissing the chili - Skyline Rules!
Hey, at least you have one heck of a symphony orchestra there. Järvi's a dynamic conductor and should be a good music director. Plus Kunzel is one of the best "Pops" conductors.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-05, 06:16 AM
If you still have any mind left to be blown, check out this recent Skeptical Inquirer article about a similar place, Kent Hovind's "Dinosaur Adventure Land":
http://www.csicop.org/si/2004-11/hovind.html
From the article:

Two single-user restrooms form a border to “The Expedition,” and they provide what may be the most humorous item in the park. Bolted to the wall in both the boys and girls rooms are chains with tracts by the cartoonist/evangelist Jack Chick hanging from them. The pages are laminated and set on rings for ease of reading while using the toilet.
Those poor kids! Then again there might be some benefit for a few of the children. Reading anything by Chick would be enough enough to...cure them of constipation.

Meanwhile I can understand the bolts, chains, and lamination: that keeps Chick's drivel from being used in a proper fashion.

Meteora
2005-Jan-05, 06:37 AM
Ah yes, Ken Ham, Duane Gish, Chick tracts. They all bring back fond memories of when I was a YEC myself. Well, maybe not "fond." More like "embarrassing." #-o

I attended one of ICR's presentations (hosted, IIRC, by Ken Ham) when it came to Oklahoma City a few years ago. At the time, I was still one of "them." Despite that, I found the presentation (about Mt. St. Helens) rather unconvincing. It's not good when you can't even convince someone who agrees with you.... :o

captain swoop
2005-Jan-05, 12:45 PM
Good old Ken, well known over at www.talkorigins.org

As for Chick http://www.geocities.com/tribhis/cthulhutract.html

Meteora
2005-Jan-06, 06:39 AM
As for Chick http://www.geocities.com/tribhis/cthulhutract.html

=D>

Well, I guess something like that (and probably many others) had to happen. :D

Yorkshireman
2005-Jan-06, 12:32 PM

I'd love to believe that was the case, but unfortunately, it's over here too (http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk). In Somerset!

I'm considering getting sloshed on the local cider and then going there with a bunch of mates to have a good laugh at it.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-06, 01:08 PM

I'd love to believe that was the case, but unfortunately, it's over here too (http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk). In Somerset!

I'm considering getting sloshed on the local cider and then going there with a bunch of mates to have a good laugh at it.
Man, it's like an epidemic! (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=391723#391723) Somebody get out the flyswatters!

Fram
2005-Jan-06, 01:40 PM
Oh man, that link by Yorkshireman... It's frightening that people can believe this stuff. Even if you have troubles with Darwinism or Evolution or so, the internal contradictions in this website are so huge that you must be really desperate to follow this.

an understanding that the Geological column could form in 17,000 years since the Flood is now believed by the majority of informed Christian Geologists in this country
Any English geologists around here? Let me guess: you are uninformed :D
But I have to say that it is a relief that only 17000 years ago, one of the twelve planets suddenly exploded.

instead of lions and other members of today's cat family there would have been only one kind of cat, ancestral to them all But:
no mutation has been observed that increases the information beyond what was present in the parent organisms So I guess there was a parent cat that had all the information (genetical) of lions, tigers, lynxes, cats, manx cats, siamese cats, sabre tooth tigers, leopards, ..., and it has just disseminated that information and then disappeared? No new genetical info comes around, only old info gets lost or spread out? Well, you do need a smaller Ark, but that's about it for this theory I guess...
I hope no schools make trips to this farm :evil:

Yorkshireman
2005-Jan-06, 03:48 PM
Oh man, that link by Yorkshireman... It's frightening that people can believe this stuff. Even if you have troubles with Darwinism or Evolution or so, the internal contradictions in this website are so huge that you must be really desperate to follow this.

Fantastic isn't it! This gem is from the page on The Earth over Time (http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk/research/earth2.shtml).

Darwinists suppose that asteroids are scraps left over from the formation of the Solar System, but an alternative interpretation is that they issued from a planet that exploded in the region of the present asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. The asteroids shattered the land. Consequently no rocks (still less any fossils) remain from the original creation: all terrestrial life was obliterated. The impacts also scarred the Moon, most of whose craters date from this period. On the basis of modern rates of radioactive decay the Hadean is dated to 4.5-3.6 billion years ago. However, the events themselves, both on Earth and in the rest of the Solar system, may have been caused by a sudden surge in rates of radioactive decay, in which case the date is grossly in error.

Even the start rankles with me. "Darwinists suppose." When did Charles Darwin write about the formation of the solar system?

captain swoop
2005-Jan-06, 04:12 PM
Anything that contradicts their literalist ideas are 'Darwinist', everything including Geology, Physics, Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry.

They don't just want to get rid of 'Darwinism' they want to get rid of all science that isnt 'True Science'.

Hop over the the talk.origins Usenet group and ask around.

ToSeek
2005-Jan-06, 04:14 PM
instead of lions and other members of today's cat family there would have been only one kind of cat, ancestral to them all But:
no mutation has been observed that increases the information beyond what was present in the parent organisms So I guess there was a parent cat that had all the information (genetical) of lions, tigers, lynxes, cats, manx cats, siamese cats, sabre tooth tigers, leopards, ..., and it has just disseminated that information and then disappeared? No new genetical info comes around, only old info gets lost or spread out? Well, you do need a smaller Ark, but that's about it for this theory I guess...
I hope no schools make trips to this farm :evil:

It has been pointed out that this justification for a small ark (that there were a few representatives of each "kind" preserved that diversified into a myriad of species) requires evolution at a pace far greater than the mainstream-accepted leisurely pace that is derided by the very same creationists.

Jim
2005-Jan-06, 05:31 PM
It has been pointed out that this justification for a small ark (that there were a few representatives of each "kind" preserved that diversified into a myriad of species) requires evolution at a pace far greater than the mainstream-accepted leisurely pace that is derided by the very same creationists.

Not to mention, if all these species "diversified" from a common ancestor in such a short time, why are we not seeing similar, rapid "diversification" today? This is the argument they use to "disprove" evolution; shouldn't it equally disprove "diversification"... and even more since they claim it happened so rapidly?

ToSeek
2005-Jan-06, 07:09 PM

Not to mention, if all these species "diversified" from a common ancestor in such a short time, why are we not seeing similar, rapid "diversification" today? This is the argument they use to "disprove" evolution; shouldn't it equally disprove "diversification"... and even more since they claim it happened so rapidly?

Their response would be that the world is deteriorating rapidly (laws of thermodynamics and all that) and that the wonderful genetic diversity God gifted the early animals with has been used up.

Doodler
2005-Jan-06, 07:40 PM
"The evolutionary elite will be getting a wake-up call."

The one true line in this article, we are now alerted to the fact that the Creationary Inquisition can't be considered marginalized for a minute by its own ignorance.

stu
2005-Jan-07, 05:23 AM
Anything that contradicts their literalist ideas are 'Darwinist', everything including Geology, Physics, Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry.

They don't just want to get rid of 'Darwinism' they want to get rid of all science that isnt 'True Science'.

I was watching the 100th episode of The Simpsons tonight and quote from the school superintendant struck me as applicable to this debate: "God has no place in a public school just like facts have no place in a religion."

captain swoop
2005-Jan-07, 11:43 AM
as a long time (mid 90s) lurker and contributer to the talk.origins bearpit I can say that the stuff you are linking to in this thread is all quite sane and rational in comparison to some of the folks out there.

Look up Wyatt and his discoveries of the original Ark of the Covonant, Noahs Ark, Temple of the Golden Calf, Discovery of the Original ten Commandments on their tablets of stone and many others. At the moment there are 2 threads running with a guy who is shouting about Wyatt and his Ark video and all the evidence he saw when he visited the site himself last year. This same guy also has a friend who went diving in the red Sea and saw the wrecked Chariots of the Egyptians.

HerrProfessorDoktor
2005-Jan-07, 08:13 PM
What got me is the size and $25 million price tag on this thing. Imagine all the real science and education that could be bought for that amount! All the other examples of such "museums" cited in the thread are quaint and almost charming (in that lone wacko sort of way) by comparison.

It's obvious that there's some big money and politics going into this. I'm going to do some research over the weekend to see who their major donors are, and what sort of political strings were pulled (though one doesn't need to pull to hard in Kentucky)...

Mars
2005-Jan-08, 01:56 AM
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/CASANcreation.html

Don't know if this is the same place, it is in California.

NEOWatcher
2013-Aug-21, 08:28 PM
6-1/2 YEAR BUMP

Gee, it's taken this many years for God to catch up with these guys.
Creation Museum staffer struck by lightning (http://www.fox19.com/story/23219218/creation-museum-visitor-possibly-struck-by-lightning-on-zip-line?hpt=us_bn9)

Swift
2013-Aug-21, 09:50 PM
6-1/2 YEAR BUMP

Creation Museum staffer struck by lightning (http://www.fox19.com/story/23219218/creation-museum-visitor-possibly-struck-by-lightning-on-zip-line?hpt=us_bn9)
:rofl:

Gosh, combined with the loss of Touchdown Jesus (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9786), its almost too much. Maybe its a sign. ;)

starcanuck64
2013-Aug-21, 11:37 PM
Come for the zip line, stay for creation "science".

A worker on the zip line was standing on the ground, holding a line, when lightning suddenly struck. An official says the electricity humped to the line, shocking the staffer.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Aug-22, 01:26 AM
Er, apart from thread necromancy, are we backsliding into an age of laxer posting rules?

Note that I engage in online 'thinking ministry' on some of this stuff, elsewhere and under other guise, yet feel it oddly disconcerting to see it here. This thread was born before my time here, and seems somewhat loose by today's standards, or am I turning into a board nanny? What a way to end my years...

Solfe
2013-Aug-22, 02:37 AM
Sometimes funny is just funny. Besides, god plus electricity has been a meme since Mount Olympus and still people tempt fate in all sorts of inexplicable (and amusing) ways.

Tobin Dax
2013-Aug-22, 03:52 AM
6-1/2 YEAR BUMP

After the rain we got yesterday, in the other half of the state, I took my umbrella in when I got to work today. That apparently did the trick.

Arneb
2013-Aug-22, 07:25 PM
Sometimes funny is just funny. Besides, god plus electricity has been a meme since Mount Olympus and still people tempt fate in all sorts of inexplicable (and amusing) ways.

OK, so someone getting injured by lightnig is funny because he believes in a god that punishes by lightning?

I don't get what's funny here. Im sure it's just me because if it gets a ROFL from an Admin ist must be good.

Or maybe this is just a low little moment of schadenfeude: "Bang YEAH, suck up your own medicine, creatonist believer!"

schlaugh
2013-Aug-22, 07:36 PM
Looks like "Touchdown Jesus" was replaced by a more classical depiction (http://www.toledoblade.com/Religion/2012/10/01/Southern-Ohio-church-dedicates-new-Jesus-statue-replaces-likeness-destroyed-by-lightning.html). Still huge, and - to me- a little creepy. It looks like a lawn statue on serious steroids, and not something I'd want in front of my church. To each his own.

NEOWatcher
2013-Aug-22, 08:07 PM
OK, so someone getting injured by lightnig is funny because he believes in a god that punishes by lightning?
I don't get what's funny here. Im sure it's just me because if it gets a ROFL from an Admin ist must be good.
Or maybe this is just a low little moment of schadenfeude: "Bang YEAH, suck up your own medicine, creatonist believer!"
Some of us can seperate the tragedy of someone getting hurt from the irony of a cliche situation.
No, I get absolutely no satisfaction from someone getting hurt.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Aug-22, 08:10 PM

Yeah, sorry, I overreacted a bit. It's just that it seems to me that if I started this thread today, I might get a warning or infraction. And I can think of one supposedly historical "prayer off" between two faiths that was very embarrassing for one of them (not that either had merit, imo), which I find hilarious and pertinent, yet if posted would set half the world down on us.

Actually, I think I'd still recommend relegating this thread to FnG to get it off main radar.

Arneb
2013-Aug-22, 08:16 PM
Some of us can seperate the tragedy of someone getting hurt from the irony of a cliche situation.

I humbly accept my severe deficiency.

Tobin Dax
2013-Aug-22, 11:05 PM
I'm mostly amused that this happened a month after they opened their "we need more attendance" zip line.

starcanuck64
2013-Aug-22, 11:52 PM

Bingo, I get no satisfaction from anyone being hurt, it's the opposite effect of what adherents to a certain belief system would expect that is humorous here...to me anyway.

Chuck
2013-Sep-02, 10:27 PM
http://www.hahastop.com/pictures/Sucks_To_Be_You.jpg