PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody really know what time it is?

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jan-03, 05:53 AM
No, this isn't a thread about the Moldy Oldies, nor it it a philosophical maundering or a blatant plug trying to sell something. It's just getting the word out about neat stuff...

Seen them there watches that set themselves nightly by a gubmint time signal? Check your local Wal-mart...

Sets itself by WWVB time signal nightly, or can be set with the signal manually.
2-second backlight
Second time zone settable to any of the 24 (can't display local and zone simultaneously, but second zone easily brought up with a button)
12/24 hour readout
Alarm
Stopwatch with lap/split
Day of week/month/date display, with year selectable for 2 seconds
Very comfortable rubberized/link band with double locking clasp.
Price?

$14.95

That's not a misprint. Fourteen dollars and ninety-five cents, gubmint cut extra.

I've wanted a decent watch for awhile (that $2 dollar store special looked like garbage). I was out at WallyWorld picking up some new sox for Xmas (...ogawd...sox for Xmas...and I wanted them...there's no hope left...) and there they were, on a rack near the checkout. Two styles, too.

Again, I'm not shilling for anyone, but this is such a deal ya oughtta check out real soon...

sarongsong
2005-Jan-03, 07:37 AM
...I was out at WallyWorld picking up some new sox for Xmas (...ogawd...sox for Xmas...and I wanted them...there's no hope left...)...
Aw, you're in good company---60 Minutes (http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml) tonite (in addition to the world's most beautiful woman), featured a story on google's success. When one of their engineers became a millionaire as the company went public, his first 'big splurge' was...ALL NEW SOX! :D

mike alexander
2005-Jan-03, 08:55 AM
When I was a kid I used WWV as a sleep-inducing aid, like an electroinc sheep. I'd tune it in and listen to the ticking, with the occasional "National Bureau of Standards, WWV: At the tone the time will be...."

And does anyone else remember the Gahan Wilson WWV cartoon?

2005-Jan-03, 10:58 AM
Almost all my clocks are time-signal synched now, two wall clocks (digital and analog), clock radio, two desk clocks, computers, cell phone, and my pride, an expensive analog wristwatch (Look! Look! The hands will set themselves!).

Only my car and microwave are still dumb clocks. And, oven, but I leave that off. Oh, and telephone, but I ignore that.

I have always liked precision, and when these timepieces came on the market not so long ago, I thought I would find peace of mind because I wouldn't have to always be setting my clocks to a WWV broadcast.

Trouble is, with accurate time on my wrist now, I go around and set other people's clocks to the correct time. I eagerly await the day when all clocks are always right.

swansont
2005-Jan-03, 11:44 AM
I eagerly await the day when all clocks are always right.

Don't hold your breath. It's impossible.

ToSeek
2005-Jan-03, 03:06 PM
It's all a plot by the STS NWO to hide the fact of rotation slowing. Just ask Nancy.

NASA Fan
2005-Jan-03, 04:15 PM
Charlie, what is the brand name of the watch, that will make it easier to find.

2005-Jan-03, 04:29 PM
I eagerly await the day when all clocks are always right.

Don't hold your breath. It's impossible.
Yeah. Excuse me. Right enough for me.

ktesibios
2005-Jan-03, 05:40 PM
Shee, and I can remember when the first digital watch went on the market. It was written up in Electronics World in '70 or '71.

Made by Hamilton, it was an LED type- the sort where you had to push a button to read the time because leaving the display on continuously would drain the battery.

The price? $1500- in early '70s dollars, mind you.

I wonder how the status-driven berks who shelled out for one felt a few years later, when you could get the same function and accuracy for twenty bucks at Woolworth's?

The Hamilton watch did have a nice gold case, though. :wink:

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jan-04, 05:09 AM
Charlie, what is the brand name of the watch, that will make it easier to find.

They were in a standalone rack by the registers here along with loads of other budget-priced timepieces (obviously laid into stock as an impulse purchase...h3ll, my purchase was an impulse).

It's branded 'Athletic Works' -- I think this is a tie-in with some track-suit-hip-hop-pants-to-your-knees outfit...I saw other stuff in the sweats'n'sox area with that moniker...

Let me know if this is a chain-wide deal, or someone scored a special for the WallyWorld here...

Gotta admit, at $15 it's one heck of a deal, and it is a decent watch...

I remember those early takes-two-hands-to-tell-the-time-red-number-specials from way back when...the first ones didn't read out on the face of the case, they read out on an edge 'cause the rest of the case was crammed with electronics...and my grandfather got one that was in an old-fashioned pocket watch-style case...LCD's have replaced things to the point that the only way to get an LED watch is find one on eBay...

Here's a pair of 'em (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=4954868 506&rd=1)

beskeptical
2005-Jan-04, 06:44 AM
Well, this site (http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/)has it all. It is the official time standards site in Colorado. And here I thought my atomic clock was the only 'official' time for laypersons. It turns out the time is broadcast across all sorts of media types.

And the current time is (http://nist.time.gov/) in the US or UTC.