PDA

View Full Version : Relativity centennial

Argos
2005-Jan-03, 01:53 PM
I think it deserves our homages. The United Nations has declared 2005 the International Year of Physics.

A primer (http://www.time.com/time/time100/poc/magazine/a_brief_history_of_rela6a.html) for the neophyte.

Where it all started (http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/)

A toast to herr professor!

Argos
2005-Jan-04, 12:42 PM
WYP2005 Home Page (http://www.wyp2005.org/)

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-04, 03:19 PM
Wow, I think I'll go do some physics right now!

Argos
2005-Jan-04, 03:29 PM
Wow, I think I'll go do some physics right now!

I know this thread isn´t as thrilling as "How Many Spiders Have You Eaten So Far?" but what can a poor south american native do?

I´ve seen you enjoying worst things :-?

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-04, 03:34 PM
I was serious. That's why I didn't use an emoticon. I'm thinking we need a new approach to physical theory. This year would be perfect.

Plus, I thought I could bump the thread up too

Argos
2005-Jan-04, 03:43 PM
Yes, for sure. Anyway, I never know when the pun king is talking seriously.
:)

pumpkinpie
2005-Jan-04, 03:48 PM
I've just jumped back into physics, after a nearly 5-year absence! I got my undergrad degree in physics, and did a little grad school, but my job rarely uses any physics. However, I don't want to forget it, so I decided to go into tutoring/teaching. I've applied to work as an instructor for one of the companies that offers review courses for students taking the MCAT. Of course, they need to make sure I know the material, so I have to take the content test! I'm taking it this Saturday. Wish me luck--reviewing all of freshman physics in one week! Ahhh!

Argos
2005-Jan-04, 04:13 PM
I wish you luck, Pumpkinpie. You do look like someone who uses physics in a daily basis. :)

As for the Year of physics, I think it comes right in time, given the amount of superstition that surrounds us. I hope it can contribute to uplift the standards of science education throughout the world. A lot of exciting activities are scheduled in many countries. In the US, for instance (from the link I provided above):

Poster Contest:
Elementary school students will win great prizes by designing posters based on a comic book story of Einstein’s life and work. The winning posters will be professionally printed and distributed to schools around the country.

PhysicsQuest Rumor has it that Einstein had a secret section in his will that is only to be revealed on the 50th anniversary of his death, on April 18, 2005. Middle school students will be able to win prizes if they can solve Einstein’s final puzzles. Measure the Earth with Shadows Eratosthenes first measured the diameter of the Earth with an ingenious technique using just sticks, shadows and a little mathematics. Now students, collaborating with others in distant schools, will combine their efforts to recreate this experiment on the largest scale ever attempted.

Einstein@Home:
Search the galaxy for pulsars. By downloading a fun and educational screen saver, you can contribute to gravity wave research and help physicists analyze real gravity wave data from the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

Physics on the Road:
Universities and museums around the country will be expanding their touring programs in 2005. They’ll have special Einstein content .

The American association of Physics teachers:
will promote a "Physics Day” and will help the AAPT members to promote WYP via local educational outreach project. AAPT will provide guidance with: - mobil demonstration shows - teachers workshop - radio station, newspapers - training undergrate outreach assistance - physics day celebration

Albert Einstein's Miraculous Year 100th Anniversary Poetry Contest 2005The international poetry contest will run from Dec1 2004 to Sept 30, 2005. The announcement of the winners in this international poetry contest will be on October 31, 2005. The awarding ceremonies and the exhibition of the winners will be on November 2005. The venue for the awarding ceremonies will be announced later. But the venue will be most likely in San Jose, California. This international contest is open to physicists and non-physicists alike. (http://www.geocities.com/musesreview/contest2.html)

mike alexander
2005-Jan-04, 10:44 PM
I like the idea of the poetry contest.

And the quote from Bacon that always seems to fit relativity:

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

Bad jcsd
2005-Jan-04, 11:05 PM
I like the idea of the poetry contest.

And the quote from Bacon that always seems to fit relativity:

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

It's a poster contest!!!!

Otherwise I'd have to bring out my God-awful poem about tensors! :D

mike alexander
2005-Jan-05, 12:28 AM
Poster contest listed at top, poetry contest listed at bottom.

Tenser said the Tensor,
Tenser said the Tensor,
Tension, apprehension
and dissention have begun!

So bring it out, already! Why can't WE have a poetry contest?

Bad jcsd
2005-Jan-05, 01:36 AM

Tenser said the Tensor,
Tenser said the Tensor,
Tension, apprehension

Sorry I missed that one. I think a poetry contest is a great idea!

The tensor is a funny old chap,
a function on vector spaces: a multilinear map.
Whilst his components may alter under a change of basis
The tensor stands firm whatever he faces
Heed Ricci well and you will be a comprehensor
Of that our fine functional friend: the tensor.

edited to add cmon lets have a few maths/physics/astronomy poems then!

Argos
2005-Jan-05, 10:58 AM

Tenser said the Tensor,
Tenser said the Tensor,
Tension, apprehension

I think it would be cool having something like that. We should figure out a way to celebrate this milestone.

Adding: Come to think of it, it would be very cool having a math/physics/astronomy poetry contest (or festival) thread. I won´t start it myself because I fear that my proverbial lack of charisma could ruin the whole idea. Anyone?

worzel
2005-Jan-05, 12:09 PM
I've got one I wrote a while back, should be sung in a thick country accent with lots of those buddy holly hiccups and a twangy guitar:

A D
I sat down last night to write a love song for thee
A D B7 E7
But I got stuck so I dug out my ol' math dictionary
A A7 D D7
An' as I flicked through the pages I was amazed to see
A D E7 A
How pertinent to life this ol' a mathematics can be

A D
So I wrote it down on paper this love of mine
A D B7 E7
A strictly increasing monotonic function of time
A A7 D D9
Tell me once again baby that you're not the one
A D G C E7 A
When 'd' 'y' by 'd' 'x' is always greater than none

A D
Well I know the past an' I know the now but I don't know it all
A D B7 E7
So I can't really say if this is differentiable
A A7 D D7
But what I do know baby is since the day we met
A D F#7 B7 E7 A
That greater than zero's been 'd' 'y' by 'd' 'x'

A D
So extrapolating forward it don't look great for me
A D B7 E7
If your curve won't meet mine at least asymptotically
A A7 D D9
Well my only hope baby that ain't infinitive
A D G C E7 A
Is if there's a turning point on the second derivative

Edited for chordos

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Jan-05, 04:02 PM
Adding: Come to think of it, it would be very cool having a math/physics/astronomy poetry contest (or festival) thread.
We did have the Planet X poetry thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4856)! I would like to contribute The Twinkie's Credo (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=184750#184750).

Argos
2005-Jan-05, 04:51 PM
We did have the Planet X poetry thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4856)! I would like to contribute The Twinkie's Credo (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=184750#184750).

:lol: Cool :lol:

Good that one also, worzel. I wonder if I should sing it in blues...