PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Greece

kevin1981
2014-Sep-21, 04:41 PM
I have a pre booked flight to the u.k for the 1st of October from Athens but I am ready to come home. However, it seems that if I try to change it, it is going to cost 600 ! Why is it so expensive and does anyone have any experience in these matters. Is there anyway I can get home for less or is that just the way it is and I am stuck here for 7 days.

Cheers

kevin1981
2014-Sep-21, 05:43 PM
It is okay, I have a plan ! I am gong to get a bus down to one of the ports in the morning and go to one of the close islands for the rest of the time.

Hornblower
2014-Sep-21, 07:36 PM
Once again, in my fantasies I resurrect and clone Howard Hughes and Juan Trippe and banish today's airline muckety-mucks and their computerized fare-calculating schemes to the farthest reaches of the Oort Cloud.

Swift
2014-Sep-21, 08:47 PM
Why is it so expensive and does anyone have any experience in these matters.
Glad you have an alternate plan, but to answer your question, because they (the airlines) can. Usually, when people have to change their plans, they are "stuck" or have some kind of problem or emergency and are forced to make the change. So the airlines try to squeeze whatever they can from you.

At least that's my opinion about it.

Trebuchet
2014-Sep-22, 12:28 AM
You can add airline pricing to the "things I don't get" thread. Nobody understands them. Including airline service reps and management.

Jens
2014-Sep-22, 02:13 AM
Glad you have an alternate plan, but to answer your question, because they (the airlines) can. Usually, when people have to change their plans, they are "stuck" or have some kind of problem or emergency and are forced to make the change. So the airlines try to squeeze whatever they can from you. At least that's my opinion about it.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. A more generous way to put it (and I don't work for the airline industry) would be that they give you a discount in exchange for your commitment to fly on a certain date (making it easier for them to plan ahead in terms of pricing, etc.), and that there is a penalty for breaking that commitment. Sort of like trading in futures.

kevin1981
2014-Sep-22, 10:16 AM
Thanks, that makes things a bit clearer for me. I have to say, Greece is pretty expensive. This was not my first place to visit but a friend recommended it. The islands are lovely though. Hopefully, I am off to India in October and I am hoping my money will fare a lot better there !

Hornblower
2014-Sep-22, 01:30 PM
You can add airline pricing to the "things I don't get" thread. Nobody understands them. Including airline service reps and management.

My bold. The management people understand very well what they are doing. They know very well what the marketplace lets them get away with, and powerful computers enable them to microanalyze and micromanage their pricing schemes in ways that would have been impractical in an earlier era. In many cases they appear not to care when their so-called customer service reps give the passengers lousy service as long as the company stays profitable.

redshifter
2014-Sep-22, 05:32 PM
In many cases they appear not to care when their so-called customer service reps give the passengers lousy service as long as the company stays profitable.

Change the word passenger to customer and you've just described 99% of the companies in existence...

kevin1981
2014-Sep-22, 07:01 PM
Though, if I had a serious family emergency or something as serious, it would mean I would have to pay around 630 to get back to England. The ticket cost me about 320 for a return, which I have already paid for. They would be making a lot of money through my misfortune !

Hornblower
2014-Sep-22, 07:56 PM
Though, if I had a serious family emergency or something as serious, it would mean I would have to pay around 630 to get back to England. The ticket cost me about 320 for a return, which I have already paid for. They would be making a lot of money through my misfortune !If they are hard-hearted and callous enough they just might do that. Such was not the case 20 years ago when my mother made a quick trip to Denver when there was a death in the family. One of our airlines got her on the next flight out for economy fare. Since all the coach seats were taken, they gave her a vacant first class seat at no extra charge.