PDA

View Full Version : Sound of the sun / solar wind

jayen
2014-Sep-22, 11:00 AM
Hi, Jayen here.
I had posted almost 2 years ago and then was downed by kidney ailment. (So the long absence from this interesting forum).
I understand the solar wind can be treated as a continuous hydrodynamic flow.
If that is correct, can one not hear the SOUND of the sun?
I mean the outbursts from the flares, CMEs, and the low frequency pulsations of the solar surface?
All in the longitudinal sound wave format?
I presume the sun must be having a colossal sound output after all?

The sun's Photospheric emissions ..do they have a small Doppler component common across all frequencies, that matches the up/down wave motion of it's surface?

Also does the IR output of Jupiter have a small Doppler component that corresponds with it's surface upheavals?

Hornblower
2014-Sep-22, 12:56 PM
There would be plenty of pulsations, but the solar wind is so rarefied that an enormous microphone would be needed to generate a signal that would make an audible noise.

The Doppler effect from the vertical motions of the photosphere gases would make the Fraunhofer spectral lines somewhat broader than they would be otherwise. I don't know whether or not there are any sufficiently sharp lines in Jupiter's IR spectrum to show a similar effect.

ngc3314
2014-Sep-25, 06:27 PM
There is a whole field - helioseismology - devoted to interpreting the subphotospheric structure of the Sun from the assorted wave modes revealed by Doppler shifts in large sections of photospheric light. Some of these show up in disk-integrated light so they can be seen in other stars, known as asteroseismology.

George
2014-Sep-27, 07:30 PM
Here (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?86669-Is-it-loud-on-the-sun) is a prior thread on this.