PDA

View Full Version : Discover Top Story 2004

dgruss23
2005-Jan-05, 01:33 AM
The sky is falling - Discover magazine's top story of 2004 is that the evidence for GW is "so overwhelming" that now the important question is what to do about it? Its remarkable how much unsupported speculative hysteria can be crammed into less than 3 pages of text.

This is simply irresponsible reporting on the part of Discover. A concensus does not exist among scientists on GW. Its a genuine scientific debate and contrary to their sell out of the actual evidence, the evidence to date makes a very strong case that GW claims are exagerated at best - and flat out wrong at worst.

Its a shame that Crichton's novel "State of Fear" does a better job of describing the true state of the scientific evidence than a science magazine does.

beskeptical
2005-Jan-05, 06:06 AM
I dunno, dgruss... I think there's a pretty concentrated mainstream agreement that the Earth's climate is heating up.

There may be some disagreement as to whether the changes are due to CO2, but I think even that is supported by fairly strong evidence.

What about GW do you think is still clearly not agreed upon?

sarongsong
2005-Jan-05, 06:36 AM
Just for beskeptical <ducks and runs...> :D:
Remarks by the President on Climate Change (http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/p/tp-gl0204.html)
He does choose his words, don't he.

Glom
2005-Jan-05, 11:25 AM
It's not entirely sure. There is debate over what various sources are telling us. But of course most people wouldn't realise that because the media doesn't give air time to sceptics.