PDA

View Full Version : Who watched the juniors last night

Raptor1967
2005-Jan-05, 05:26 PM
The American team told the Canadians to kick the Ruskie buts and wow did they ever. It was a great game

Ut
2005-Jan-05, 05:34 PM
I got suckered into going to the movies last night. I didn't even think of what I was agreeing to do two days ago...

I saw the bronze medal game. That was a heartbreaker. The Czechs deserved to win it, though. At least they sort of picked their heads up in the last five minutes of the game and realized that there was still something to win. The US squad looked defeated the whole game long, even when in the lead.

I was absolutely blown away this morning to find that Canada had thwomped the Russians. I might have to watch some of the game in replay tonight... since TSN seems to have forgotten that there ARE other sports going on in the world.

Not to get off on a rant here, but why have few of the Canadian networks jumped on the minor league or European hockey? They're still playing, and half of the people in those games are NHL stars...

Raptor1967
2005-Jan-05, 05:37 PM
I was wondering that as well. All we get are rerun hockey games that with a little imagination can be fun but it just isnt the same. The juniors were a nice respite from the hockey drought that appears to be only happening here in Canada. I think you may find it is the Canadian networks supporting the NHL by starving the Canadian viewers.

Edited for typo

Parrothead
2005-Jan-05, 06:03 PM
First gold since '97, it's been a long wait...then again I'm a Leafs fan, so 8 yrs was nothing. :wink: Definately the best team we have sent to the Jrs., outscoring opponents 41-7 through the tourney. :P I didn't really care who we met in the final, Canada-Russia is always a good match; the rivalry with the US is getting just as intense. After last year's heart-breaking loss, it would have been nice to face the US for gold again. Only downpoint of the tourney, the stickwork, clutch and grab work, showboating of the Russians. Ovechkin, better change his attitude before hitting the ice in the NHL (whenever that gets going again), could be a short career otherwise. :wink:

Raptor1967
2005-Jan-05, 06:07 PM
What I found amazing was the amount of support here at home. The red mile filled up right after the game in 20 below temps. People were goin crazy it was a lot of fun to watch

Parrothead
2005-Jan-05, 06:10 PM
Not to get off on a rant here, but why have few of the Canadian networks jumped on the minor league or European hockey? They're still playing, and half of the people in those games are NHL stars...

European hockey would have to be on a tape delay, don't know if a station would be willing to risk the costs involved. Jr hockey is available on smaller networks and cable company channels. Probably just a question of who owns the broadcast rights.

Ut
2005-Jan-05, 06:12 PM

European hockey would have to be on a tape delay, don't know if a station would be willing to risk the costs involved. Jr hockey is available on smaller networks and cable company channels. Probably just a question of who owns the broadcast rights.

Well, they love to talk about the lack of hockey. I say put up or shut up on their part.

Bawheid
2005-Jan-06, 12:44 PM
You either show it on tape delay, or broadcast live for people to tape. Either way people get to watch hockey. NFL/NHL games are shown that way here.

I can't believe the cost would be close to that of broadcasting the NHL. The only possible answers are, an agreement with the owners not to, or a fear that the NHL isn't a better, more saleable product. Without wishing to be controversial, the NHL has the best players but the games can be dull, both live and on TV.

We get to watch various leagues here (provided you have a moveable dish) the inability to understand Czech is no handicap to enjoying the game. If only I could find where they broadcast the Finnish games I would be an even happier bunny. :D

Parrothead
2005-Jan-06, 02:49 PM
I can't understand why people are saying there is no hockey on. They may miss the NHL, but there is plenty of other hockey on. Here, in the Toronto area, other than the World Jrs, some of the Spengler Cup games were aired, the under 17 world challenge final was on last night, a Swedish Elite League game was shown last night, there are Ontario Hockey League (OHL) and AHL games carried each week. Once the NHL season is officially called off, there may be a scramble to show more of the games from Europe. As it is with no NHL, the Major Jr teams should be seeing an increase in attendance at games. Personally, I think many that cry there is no hockey on, want to only see the games that have NHL players in them. Just my opinion.

As for the World Jrs, it was a great tournament and is always widely watched in Canada. Brent Sutter and his coaching staff did a great job with Team Canada. :D

Maksutov
2005-Jan-06, 02:51 PM
The American team told the Canadians to kick the Ruskie buts and wow did they ever. It was a great game
Thank you, Great White North!

And what a respite from watching NHL reruns from last season.

Ut
2005-Jan-06, 03:25 PM
I can't understand why people are saying there is no hockey on. They may miss the NHL, but there is plenty of other hockey on. Here, in the Toronto area, other than the World Jrs, some of the Spengler Cup games were aired, the under 17 world challenge final was on last night, a Swedish Elite League game was shown last night, there are Ontario Hockey League (OHL) and AHL games carried each week. Once the NHL season is officially called off, there may be a scramble to show more of the games from Europe. As it is with no NHL, the Major Jr teams should be seeing an increase in attendance at games. Personally, I think many that cry there is no hockey on, want to only see the games that have NHL players in them. Just my opinion.

As for the World Jrs, it was a great tournament and is always widely watched in Canada. Brent Sutter and his coaching staff did a great job with Team Canada. :D

Toronto is not the market to use to judge how much hockey is broadcast across the country. Aside from the World Jrs, we here get, on the public cable access channel, week old QMJHL games. And even then, only when Cape Breton plays Halifax. So, that's one every month. And it's been tape delayed a week, despite having taken place here, in a sold out rink.

Parrothead
2005-Jan-06, 03:54 PM
Toronto is not the market to use to judge how much hockey is broadcast across the country. Aside from the World Jrs, we here get, on the public cable access channel, week old QMJHL games. And even then, only when Cape Breton plays Halifax. So, that's one every month. And it's been tape delayed a week, despite having taken place here, in a sold out rink.

It is Sportsnet that carries most of the games I mentioned, as far as I can tell, they carry one Swedish Elite League game and one or two AHL games (live) each week, nationally. In the Ontario region, we get one or two OHL games on top of this each week. I guess this all is dependent upon the availability of Sportsnet, according to region.

Staiduk
2005-Jan-06, 08:27 PM
LOL - I'm still going 'Woooohoooo!!!!' after the World Juniors.
I agree with Parrothead - there's a lot of great hockey out there - at least in S. Ontario.

The NHL might have learned a thing or two from the baseball strike - while I've been a Leafs fan from day One (Literally - I was 4 months old when they last won the Cup); I'm rapidly losing interest in the NHL. During the baseball strike; people finally came to realize that these 'Heros' were nothing but a bunch of whining, overpaid prima-donnas. While Hockey is superior in every way to baseball and its players infinitely tougher; before this is over people are going to recognize the same thing for them. The NHL is killing itself - and quite honestly; as long as there's the OHL, I couldn't care less.

gethen
2005-Jan-06, 11:57 PM
The local cable company carries only selected games, so we invariably miss the good ones--Russia vs. Canada. :( I don't think anyone at the cable company actually knows anything about hockey or they would carry all the Junior games, since the NHL is sleeping.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-07, 04:26 AM
LOL - I'm still going 'Woooohoooo!!!!' after the World Juniors.
I agree with Parrothead - there's a lot of great hockey out there - at least in S. Ontario.

The NHL might have learned a thing or two from the baseball strike - while I've been a Leafs fan from day One (Literally - I was 4 months old when they last won the Cup); I'm rapidly losing interest in the NHL. During the baseball strike; people finally came to realize that these 'Heros' were nothing but a bunch of whining, overpaid prima-donnas. While Hockey is superior in every way to baseball and its players infinitely tougher; before this is over people are going to recognize the same thing for them. The NHL is killing itself - and quite honestly; as long as there's the OHL, I couldn't care less.
My last year as a die-hard baseball fan was 1994. Looks like my last year as a die-hard hockey fan might 2004.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-07, 04:27 AM
The local cable company carries only selected games, so we invariably miss the good ones--Russia vs. Canada. :( I don't think anyone at the cable company actually knows anything about hockey or they would carry all the Junior games, since the NHL is sleeping.
The folks at the cable company don't know much about anything. Around here the only things they seem to know are how to add more channels with religious programming and how to raise the rates.