PDA

View Full Version : SyFy Plans to Lure You Back

Jim
2014-Oct-29, 12:43 PM
Syfy knows they messed up. Now they have a plan to win you back.

The cable network’s top executives won’t say this in such blunt language, but they acknowledge that somewhere along the line, the network missed an opportunity to have more great scripted dramas. It happened sometime after the name change from Sci Fi Channel to Syfy ...

Didn't we tell them?

Syfy has shifted its course. Howe hired new programming chief [...] obtained a larger programming budget [...] and has amassed a truly impressive development slate (the five shows Syfy is betting will lure you back are also listed below).

(The five are Helix, Defiance, 12 Monkeys (a series based on the movie), Ascension (with Tricia Helfer) and The Expanse (based on Leviathan Awakes.)

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/28/syfy/

Spacedude
2014-Oct-29, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't rule out a Sharknado III

NEOWatcher
2014-Oct-29, 01:37 PM
It sounds a little too dark and emotionally focused for my tastes.

I don't mind some of that, but when he started talking about Eureka and how they are going back from those shows, I got a little put off.
Those are the shows I like the most.

I wish they could have worked Caprica into the discussion. It contained a lot of the elements that I perceive him talking about.

Jim
2014-Oct-29, 03:23 PM
I liked Eureka and Warehouse 13, and like Haven though I don't follow it too much now. Caprica had promise but they never developed it well.

Helix, to me, is too convoluted. Defiance started out well and it's still fun, mainly because of the characters.

The three new series may be good (Tricia Helfer). I worry about The Expanse. The book series is still being written; the author of the books has been linked to George RR Martin. Will the book series stay ahead of the TV series?

redshifter
2014-Oct-29, 05:49 PM
I just hope they do away with the silly monster movies. I haven't watched SyFy since before they started calling it 'syfy' because the programming jumped the sharknado (see what I did there...). For all I know, they now have 'reality shows' about people who live in swamps. Heck, for as bad as syfy got, they could just have Twilight Zone marathons and it would be a huge improvement...maybe throw in the Outer Limits as well...

Gillianren
2014-Oct-29, 05:54 PM
Right. It wasn't when they changed the name. It was well before they changed the name. I was once at a panel with Jim Butcher, and he said he watches dreadful made-for-Sci Fi (I won't acknowledge the name change) monster movies while he writes, because he needs noise but not anything that will distract him. On the other hand, when he inevitably writes Harry Dresden Meets Mansquito, we'll know who to blame. But I can even deal with those. It was when they started putting wrestling on the channel that fans of actual science fiction started getting hesitant.

Swift
2014-Oct-29, 06:22 PM
When they stop showing wrestling I might believe them.

Doodler
2014-Nov-02, 12:24 PM
Defiance is still the best reason to stick around. Unfortunately, it's about the only reason to for me.

Jim
2014-Nov-04, 05:51 PM
Hey, maybe they are serious this time.

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network announced Monday that it is adapting Arthur C. Clarke's novel 3001: The Final Odyssey into a miniseries.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-plots-3001-final-odyssey-745759

DonM435
2014-Nov-04, 06:06 PM
They'll probably put a few flying sharks into it.

(There was a sharklike sea creature on Europa in Clarke's 2061 novel. Wonder why they didn't do that one instead.)

NEOWatcher
2014-Nov-04, 06:21 PM
Hey, maybe they are serious this time.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-plots-3001-final-odyssey-745759

I wonder if this is the key statement here:

3001 explores complex characters with conflicting agendas, stunning visuals and dark thematic meditations on the final fate of all humankind.
I hope they don't go so far into the characters that the sci-fi aspect of it is lost. (ala Caprica)
But; since it's a mini-series, they won't drag it out endlessly with no end (ala Caprica)