PDA

View Full Version : (RANT) Curses Be to ETS

stu
2005-Jan-07, 07:53 PM
Curses to ETS, the makers of the GRE. I submitted my requests to them to send my scores to my graduate schools and fellowships in the first half of December ... more than FOUR WEEKS AGO.

On Wednesdsay of this week, two of my seven requests were processed.

The deadline for one of my fellowships is tonight, midnight. They haven't gotten my scores yet.

After waiting on the phone for 10 minutes this afternoon, I spoke with someone asking where and when my scores were sent because I've spoken with several of the places I've applied and they haven't gotten my scores yet. Apparently, just in the last hour or so, they processed the other five of my requests.

If they hadn't, I was going to have to phone in my requests and hope that their 3-5 "business days" of processing would get them into my schools in time for next Friday's deadline. And that would have cost me an additional $15 per score +$6 for the phone "service."

So now I hope that since they've all been processed this week they'll get into these schools in time for their deadlines. And since my fellowship one claims that the scores are submitted to them electronically from ETS, my hope is that they'll get them by midnight tonight.

A POX UPON ETS :evil: :evil:

The moral of the story is two-fold: First, to graduate programs: STOP REQUIRING THESE HORRIBLE TESTS. Second, to future applicants and test-takers: ALLOW AT LEAST SIX WEEKS FOR PROCESSING, even though they say everything is processed within 10 business days of receipt.

Thank you, that is all.

Swift
2005-Jan-07, 08:53 PM
Sorry about your problems with the GREs. In my day (20 years ago) we had to take them and submit the scores, but the grad schools didn't real make judgments about admittance or not based on them.

I'm just happy to realize you are not mad at extra-terrestrials (ETS not ETs). I thought maybe you had some problem with SETI@home :wink:

stu
2005-Jan-07, 08:58 PM
Sorry about your problems with the GREs. In my day (20 years ago) we had to take them and submit the scores, but the grad schools didn't real make judgments about admittance or not based on them.

I'm just happy to realize you are not mad at extra-terrestrials (ETS not ETs). I thought maybe you had some problem with SETI@home :wink:

Ha! No ... I didn't even realize that "ETS" could be thought of as extra-terrestrials. And though I doubt that (in fact I hope that) the grad schools won't make their decisions based upon the GREs, they still require them to be submitted and state that they will not accept an appplication to even look at unless all materials are in and on time.

Normandy6644
2005-Jan-07, 10:15 PM
That's not cool. I'm sure I'll have to deal with that in a few years. :evil:

Maksutov
2005-Jan-08, 12:17 AM
If this is the same ETS in New Jersey I had to deal with back in the 1960s, then you lucked out. Getting them to do anything back then required a large crowbar and threats of blackmail and physical violence.

I was convinced that none of the people running ETS could pass their own tests. I imagine, given the stodgy, holier-than-thou attitude of their representatives, that they're probably still using the same punch cards and tape storage systems they used back then.

A pox upon them and their little logo, too!