PDA

View Full Version : What's The Warmest Water A Diver Can Stay In For An Hour?

BigDon
2014-Nov-13, 05:17 PM
I know it's considerably lower than most people think.

After seeing all kinds of stuff that the internet brings as far as extreme sports and stunts go I had to come up with something of my own. Why, I once saw a man put a hook through his own cheek and jump off of a boat into water that had makos in the immediate vicinity. Another jumped out of an airplane without a parachute and relied on a second jumper to hand him one that he put on on the way down. I had to think;

"What could I do to top that? And so high that it couldn't be easily out down."

I came up with something, but I'm thinking of rejecting it because it would only impress the educated.

What do you guys think of volcanic cave diving as an extreme sport? Has all the elements, risk, danger, romance... okay, not so much on the romance.

I tried to consult a geologist but none would return my calls after I told them why I wanted to know.

Maybe Geonuc or Dgavin can help me out.

:whistle:

swampyankee
2014-Nov-13, 05:22 PM
I've read that the Soviets, during part of the Second World (Great Patriotic) War had a shortage of parachutes. This was tough on those soldiers assigned to jump duty in the paratroopers. Luckily, there's a lot of snow in Russia....

Jens
2014-Nov-13, 09:49 PM
If you don't require that the diver be alive at the end of the hour, then 100 degrees would be possible. 😊

Trebuchet
2014-Nov-14, 12:29 AM
If you don't require that the diver be alive at the end of the hour, then 100 degrees would be possible. 

I think we need a scale there. Celsius? Fahrenheit? Kelvin? Celsius would be pretty instantly fatal. But I've sat in 100+ F for an hour quite comfortably. (Hot tub)

JustAFriend
2014-Nov-14, 01:44 AM
Depends on your tolerance... Everyone's different. I used to keep my hot tub at 108 and sauna nuts have gone to 200..

BigDon
2014-Nov-14, 01:47 AM
Hold on guys, I just thought of something with more crowd appeal than even figure eight bus racing.

Distance jumping off of ski ramps in a forty foot tractor trailer rigs.

I mean, how many times would it take YOU to get it to land on its wheels, hmmm?

Plus all the visuals people love.

Though it is in direct violation of Dr. Grant's Third Law Of Not Being Dead;

"Never fly in a vehicle that isn't actually generating lift."

profloater
2014-Nov-14, 02:09 AM
I would say about 96 f for long term and this is my business. 100 f you might survive with head out of water, well you would, but totally immersed you cook. I guess with fever of 100 or 102, you would survive feeling bad for a few hours in 100.

Jens
2014-Nov-14, 02:38 AM
I think we need a scale there. Celsius? Fahrenheit? Kelvin? Celsius would be pretty instantly fatal. But I've sat in 100+ F for an hour quite comfortably. (Hot tub)

Sorry, I meant Celsius.

Kelvin would be even rougher!

Jens
2014-Nov-14, 02:40 AM
Depends on your tolerance... Everyone's different. I used to keep my hot tub at 108 and sauna nuts have gone to 200..

I assume you mean Fahrenheit...

Noclevername
2014-Nov-14, 04:58 AM
Why, I once saw a man put a hook through his own cheek and jump off of a boat into water that had makos in the immediate vicinity.

In Soviet Union, shark fishes YOU!

swampyankee
2014-Nov-14, 07:56 PM
Why, I once saw a man put a hook through his own cheek and jump off of a boat into water that had makos in the immediate vicinity.

:whistle:

Did everybody call him "Chum?"

John Mendenhall
2014-Nov-14, 09:58 PM
Did everybody call him "Chum?"

��

Noclevername
2014-Nov-15, 12:13 AM
��

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chumming