PDA

View Full Version : "What do you believe is true even though you can't prov

kylenano
2005-Jan-09, 10:47 AM
I just heard about this on Broadcasting House on Radio 4: What do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it? It's from The 2005 Edge Annual Question (http://www.edge.org/).

There were serious and silly responses sent to the Radio 4 programme. My silly one is: cats must know all the secrets of quantum mechanics, otherwise how can one cat be in so many places at once? (And of course they don't take Schrodinger's cat seriously, but apparently neither did he!)

I'll have to think about more serious answers.

mickal555
2005-Jan-09, 10:56 AM
In the same sence :wink: are there parrell univerces I mean ones that we could never detect... It would't matter if there were... you either belive or you don't?

Yorkshireman
2005-Jan-09, 11:50 AM
That the global climate is changing, and humans are contributing to it.

NASA Fan
2005-Jan-09, 03:38 PM
I think that the thing most people believe in though it cannot be proven is the belief in the existence of a greater spiritual being. Whether you are the type of person to go to services mulitple times a week, destroy other people or property to make you point--or inflict terror, or if like myself you are a non practicing beliver, who just occationally thinks about it

I refrain from naming "it" as different people attribute different names to their spiritual being.

Kebsis
2005-Jan-09, 03:43 PM
I believe my car is still in the driveway where I left it last night.

Donnie B.
2005-Jan-09, 04:05 PM
Frodo lives!

Candy
2005-Jan-09, 05:21 PM
I believe children and animals know good people from bad people.

TriangleMan
2005-Jan-09, 05:30 PM
I believe that domestic cats are actually a type of (rather large) parasite since I can't seem to figure out what they're good for. :wink:

mickal555
2005-Jan-09, 05:33 PM
I believe that domestic cats are actually a type of (rather large) parasite since I can't seem to figure out what they're good for. :wink:
speedbumps?

RUNS Dodging tomatoes

Candy
2005-Jan-09, 06:09 PM
I use mine for a source of heat, and a reminder of why I don't want children.

I came home after class last Monday night, and just wanted to rest. I open the door to see my 1 year old carpet smeared with 'diggle berry residue' from one end of the condo to another. :o

The 'culprit' was sleeping peacefully, awakening as if innocent, with 'diggle berries' still stuck to her fur. :o

I cleaned her and the carpet for a full one hour! I wasn't mad, though. :-?

beskeptical
2005-Jan-09, 07:03 PM
That the global climate is changing, and humans are contributing to it.That's provable. Perhaps more evidence will solidify the conclusion, but the evidence is obtainable.

beskeptical
2005-Jan-09, 07:09 PM
I believe the future time-current time boundary is the edge of the Universe and past time (the beginning of time) is the center. That's why we can't find the edge nor the center. Neither exist in the other 3 dimensions.

I hope some day when some physicist uses my idea in some great new description of the nature of the Universe, I can pull out my old posts and say, "I really had that idea before he/she did." Of course, just like Einstein's wife, I'll probably never get credit for my contribution to science. 8)

Candy
2005-Jan-09, 07:11 PM
Of course, just like Einstein's wife, I'll probably never get credit for my contribution to science. 8) You should probably change that to wives. =D>

beskeptical
2005-Jan-09, 07:27 PM
Of course, just like Einstein's wife, I'll probably never get credit for my contribution to science. 8) You should probably change that to wives. =D>OK, first wife. Whatever contribution she may have had to the theory of relativity has been totally obscured.

AndrewGPaul
2005-Jan-09, 07:42 PM
On a somewhat pedantic note, the entirety of scientific knowledge :)

Ithildin
2005-Jan-09, 08:01 PM
Frodo lives!

i KNEW it!

:D

when i was alot younger i had the idea that the 3 Dimentional universe connected back to itself; like how on the surface of the earth if you kept going *straight* (or would consider yourself to be going straight if you had no concept of 3-D space) you would end up right back where you were, except this would be in four spacial dimentions...
but i recently found out that many physicsts, such as Stephen Hawking, already came up with the idea and a way to prove it... but its so complicated itd be a LONG time before they could, shucks! so technically its not provable, but i wouldnt be suprised if its true :D

archman
2005-Jan-09, 09:26 PM
That we could certainly get by in the world with less lawyers.

Kebsis
2005-Jan-09, 10:46 PM
I use mine for a source of heat, and a reminder of why I don't want children.

I came home after class last Monday night, and just wanted to rest. I open the door to see my 1 year old carpet smeared with 'diggle berry residue' from one end of the condo to another. :o

The 'culprit' was sleeping peacefully, awakening as if innocent, with 'diggle berries' still stuck to her fur. :o

I cleaned her and the carpet for a full one hour! I wasn't mad, though. :-?

I don't have any children either, but is there really a widespread problem of kids dragging 'dingleberries' across the carpet?

Candy
2005-Jan-09, 11:56 PM
I don't have any children either, but is there really a widespread problem of kids dragging 'dingleberries' across the carpet?
Oh, that's just the latest example. It's the time and money invested into her that reminds me of what it must be like to have children. :o

Gillianren
2005-Jan-10, 03:49 AM
this will show a lot about my self esteem, but--that people actually like me. I cannot prove this. they cannot prove this. (at least, not to me.) while they do spend time with me, often voluntarily, there are all kinds of benefits, both tangible and not, accrued from this. I have to take this on faith, because if they said they didn't like me, they'd no longer get said benefits.

Ut
2005-Jan-10, 03:51 AM
this will show a lot about my self esteem, but--that people actually like me. I cannot prove this. they cannot prove this. (at least, not to me.) while they do spend time with me, often voluntarily, there are all kinds of benefits, both tangible and not, accrued from this. I have to take this on faith, because if they said they didn't like me, they'd no longer get said benefits.

So wait... You have friends with... You know what, nevermind.

Candy
2005-Jan-10, 04:28 AM

So wait... You have friends with... You know what, nevermind.
:o

Ut, you are on a roll today! :lol:

mike alexander
2005-Jan-10, 05:24 AM
I'm gonna croak some day. :-?

Maksutov
2005-Jan-10, 09:39 AM
This was discussed at the local watering hole. My contribution was "Everyone has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink."

Since I wasn't buying that round, I have no proof (other than the main ingredient, which was was 80).

worzel
2005-Jan-10, 11:49 AM
I met a chap last night who told me that he believes in UFOs because he can imagine the infinite :-?

Fram
2005-Jan-10, 12:11 PM
Gravity.

Colt
2005-Jan-10, 03:37 PM
That I am the leader of the new Order and the true leader of mankind.

mid
2005-Jan-10, 05:11 PM
That Wipeout Pure will be better than the horribly disappointing Fusion.

That Chris Columbus will never direct a decent film, nor Akiva Goldsman write one.

Technically, I can't prove that my little baby is the cutest in the world, but I'm pretty certain that is the case. :D

Wally
2005-Jan-10, 06:16 PM
[quote="Candy

I cleaned her and the carpet for a full one hour! I wasn't mad, though. :-?[/quote]

#-o

My mother used to have a cocka-poo with longer, curly hair. After suffering from the "dingle-berry blues" a few times, she took to trimming his hair back there.

That did the trick!