PDA

View Full Version : NASA’s “Remastered” View of Europa

selvaarchi
2014-Nov-23, 04:08 AM
NASA has given us a new and improved view of Jupiter's moon Europa.

http://www.universetoday.com/116557/nasas-remastered-view-of-europa-is-the-best-yet/#more-116557

Combining a mosaic of color images with modern image processing techniques, NASA has produced a new version of what is perhaps the best view of Europa yet. And it is quite simply the closest approximation to what the human eye would see, and the next best thing to seeing it up close.

The high-resolution color image, which shows the largest portion of the moon’s surface, was made from images taken by NASA’s Galileo probe. Using the Solid-State Imaging (SSI) experiment, the craft captured these images during it’s first and fourteenth orbit through the Jupiter system, in 1995 and 1998 respectively.

Inner Prop
2014-Dec-05, 06:40 PM
What does this tell us? Does it answer any questions? I am fascinated by and hopeful about Europa.

NEOWatcher
2014-Dec-06, 06:47 PM
What does this tell us? Does it answer any questions? I am fascinated by and hopeful about Europa.
Ditto

It makes a pretty picture, but I don't know why it's important.

selvaarchi
2014-Dec-11, 02:16 PM
Ditto

It makes a pretty picture, but I don't know why it's important.
The only reason that I could come up with is, it gives us a base line to compare any future pictures we might get of the planet.

LiveFromTheMonkeyTrial
2014-Dec-14, 04:41 AM
Is Europa the shinier of the Gallilean moons? One is definitely brighter than the other in binos and I seem to remember it's not Gannymede.