PDA

View Full Version : Mountains of Middle-Earth

Githyanki
2014-Nov-24, 08:41 PM
In the Silmariillion, mountains are created by the Valar; either by creating them to block sight or as a result of conflict. The mountains of Middle-Earth were not formed by a divine creator but rather by beings that probably were not interested in aesthetics. These mountains are about about 7,000 years old. They have not had the millions of years of pressure and erosion that mountains on Earth had. It would be as if almost instantly, millions of tons of earth were squeezed with enough force to make them 10,000' not be composed of top-soil, but bedrock and probably large portions of the crust that had been under intense pressure.

What would these mountains look like? They would not look like the mountains here on Earth. They would have sharp-jagged peaks and no top-soil for vegetation to grow. There would be no valleys created by millions of years of water moving down it.

Jens
2014-Nov-24, 10:06 PM
You wrote "probably" they were not interested in aesthetics. Since they are imaginary beings using imaginary methods, I don't think there is any way for us to guess what their mountains would look like.

Romanus
2014-Nov-24, 10:53 PM
Not to mention that Tolkien is rather vague about how actually long the "ages" before the First Age were.

Githyanki
2014-Nov-24, 11:07 PM
The mountains I am thinking about were created by Melkor in the First Age. The mountains were formed with a specific purpose. And I assumed he used the same forces as geology; he could, however, create them accelerating time on the earth, for instance.

Jens
2014-Nov-24, 11:13 PM
But I don't know you can assume that. Maybe we made them by creating matter out of energy based on a pattern that existed in his mind?

Githyanki
2014-Nov-25, 06:40 PM
He would have had to have seen mountains before or have knowledge of them; I believe he was a celestril-being that dwellt in the heavens.

Also, would creating a mountain range create a lot of heat?

DaveC426913
2014-Nov-25, 07:37 PM
Also, would creating a mountain range create a lot of heat?
It's magic. You'll have to ask the magician.

Githyanki
2014-Dec-05, 06:31 AM
Once magic is in the equation, there is no more science to be discussed. However, how would the Vala, celestial beings from the heavens know what mountains are or even be away of geology that takes millions of years yet, they have only been around for a few thousand years.

I am beginning to suspect the mountains of a fantasy-world, are massive bulges of earth pushed up thousands of feet. Due to the friction of all that matter being forced up, the mountains are probably volcanic-like, with no real valleys; just snow, waterfalls and flash-floods. There may not be a lot of top-soil so the mountains are probably tree-less.

publiusr
2014-Dec-06, 09:31 PM
Maybe they are not mountains. Shades of Barlowe--maybe they are teeth--with Bytopia being the upper set.

Ara Pacis
2015-Jan-22, 06:05 AM
He would have had to have seen mountains before or have knowledge of them; I believe he was a celestril-being that dwellt in the heavens.

That's what the Music of the Ainur was for, IIRC.